Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Moving boat lift

Cole2001

Hey guys. I need to move a boat lift over a few inches as the back corner is too close to the dock. Thinking just putting a 2” ratchet strap on the frame to the pilling and ratcheting it over a few inches. Not sure if there’s an easier way. Looks like it’s just sitting on the bottom. 
45FB7792-34CF-4ECB-9554-5553B817C72A.thumb.jpeg.82c5a265aa5132ba8cde5f62440ab908.jpeg

64C7826B-B566-4195-B58B-889518DA2E0E.thumb.jpeg.f4d5f668ea47e77c5b859b3bce69f325.jpeg

MalibuNation

The million dollar question is are the feet sitting on the bottom?  I deal with muck and the deeper I go the muckier it is.  What is your lake bottom like?

I take it the pylons (sp) are stout.  Can you set the strap at a low point on the lift and high point on the pylon to give you some lift?

Lastly could you or possibly several of you go down and lift the lift a bit while ranching?

Keep us posted.

ahopkins22LSV

If you can still see the feet you might have a chance with that but I would use a come along or something more stout than a ratchet strap. Even on the sandy side of our lake hoists settle after the season and a pain in the butt to break free. 

@Cole2001 I think you're better off putting a couple of floats under the cradle and using the hydraulics to your benefit.  

Put floats under the cradle at the end of the hoist that's closer to the dock than you would like.  Lower the cradle effectively clamping the floats to the lower frame, and it should come up enough to move.  This is how we install and remove a friends hydraulic hoist on our lake.  His is in approximately 5' of water depth and it's a very mucky bottom at the stern side of his hoist.  2 of these floats compressed between the cradle and frame will allow the stern end to easily be moved.  Note, we don't have the 9" x 6' strips.  We have the 5' x 6' floats and they work well.  I could see a benefit to the strips, but it's more stuff for us to store and we have our methods well established.  We also use these for cable actuated hoists.  It's easier with hydraulic hoists from a removal perspective than it is the cable hoists.  They require a bit more finesse. 

image.thumb.png.81459fd64754ac6425e48053efe28add.png

• Like 2

The bottom seems pretty solid and can clearly see the feet, so that’s what got my thinking about pulling it over. I left it down overnight once and it ended up moving over a bit so I’m guessing it wouldn’t be too hard to pull back. 
If I could get a few guys together could likely move it over by hand but in 45 degree water definitely not going to get many takers so that option might need to wait until it warms up.

Can you take a couple 2x10's and cantilever them out over the finger of your dock, temporarily secure them to the dock post and try to use a come along or strap to take up some of the weight? Should be easy to move if you do that.  I usually have scrap wood like that lying around and am guessing you could fab something to work like an engine hoist.  I wouldn't ever think of taking the full weight of it, but you could probably get enough lift to slide it over.  And don't make fun of the artwork.  I didn't feel like getting on my other machine to open up adobe.  

image.png.08b113f26f4edc71c2bf6badc9221578.png

Our neighbors have a similar lift. They have two long metal pipes they use on the bottom frame to shift, move, and break free the lift from the bottom. Often it only takes one person to do any moving but will often use two people for ease and less work. 

@JeffK I like your thinking but only have a condo here so dont have all that easily accessible, otherwise I like your idea. Also only need to move the back corner over a few inches to have the guide post not rub on the dock so tempted to hook a strap to my jet ski and just send it. I don't think it should be too hard to move. 

23 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

The bottom seems pretty solid and can clearly see the feet, so that’s what got my thinking about pulling it over. I left it down overnight once and it ended up moving over a bit so I’m guessing it wouldn’t be too hard to pull back. 
If I could get a few guys together could likely move it over by hand but in 45 degree water definitely not going to get many takers so that option might need to wait until it warms up.

If you really need just a few inches, just try your idea to snatch it over with your strap while standing on the next the finger pier.  If that doesn't immediately do it, snatch it with your boat.  I have no doubt you can get it to move enough with a very simple setup.  Lateral motion is a whole lot easier than trying to lift the feet off the bottom.

I like the idea of putting flotation under the lift to help lighten it.  You could use PFDs for that without having to buy a bunch of foam strips.

30 minutes ago, justgary said:

If you really need just a few inches, just try your idea to snatch it over with your strap while standing on the next the finger pier.  If that doesn't immediately do it, snatch it with your boat.  I have no doubt you can get it to move enough with a very simple setup.  Lateral motion is a whole lot easier than trying to lift the feet off the bottom.

I like the idea of putting flotation under the lift to help lighten it.  You could use PFDs for that without having to buy a bunch of foam strips.

My thoughts exactly, doesn’t hurt to try. Just figured I’d see if anyone had any better ideas. Only need a few inches so the guide post doesn’t bind on the dock. It moved by leaving it down overnight so should move back pretty easily.

I would be hesitant to put any side loads on the lift.  They are designed to take loads in the vertical orientation, and not sideways.  I move my lift in and out of the water every season (Montana), and it isn't that hard to move them.  If you only need to move it a couple of inches, you can probably do that yourself.  I get down on the corner, hold my breath, and squat down to grab the corner, then I stand up, lifting the corner, and pivot the lift to where I need it.  If you pull it sideways and bend it out of alignment, you could damage it irreparably.  

• Like 2
MalibuNation

Certain body types tend to float and that's me ;).  I wear a weighted scuba belt to help me from not floating when working on the deep end of my lift.  For safety reasons I don't add too many weights.

21 hours ago, guitarcrazy said:

I would be hesitant to put any side loads on the lift.  They are designed to take loads in the vertical orientation, and not sideways.  I move my lift in and out of the water every season (Montana), and it isn't that hard to move them.  If you only need to move it a couple of inches, you can probably do that yourself.  I get down on the corner, hold my breath, and squat down to grab the corner, then I stand up, lifting the corner, and pivot the lift to where I need it.  If you pull it sideways and bend it out of alignment, you could damage it irreparably.  

That’s a very good point thanks for that. Will try and lift it after a surf set when I have my wetsuit on. 

• 4 weeks later...

Went out today and got the lift moved over after realizing it had shifted even further over the winter and wasn’t useable. Tied a anchor line to back corner leg and gave it a couple tugs with the boat. First it moved back a bit and the front lifted, then got a lined up a little more perpendicular and it moved over perfectly aligned with the dock. Was almost as if we knew what we were doing, hardest part was getting the rope around the frame without getting wet. 

8 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

without getting wet.

You must subscribe to my personal policy:  I don't mind being cold and I don't mind being wet; but I don't want to be cold and wet.

Glad you got it done.