Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

REV12 Tower Speaker

Five Cent Worth

8 hours ago, IXFE said:

It is interesting that the marine audio industry has essentially stagnated on innovation… we’ve been using the same line of speakers and amps for 10 years now.

Could not disagree more. While some brands are still offering the same cabin and tower speakers and woofers as they did years ago, some are offering some very innovative stuff. Open source DSP amp. Full-range amps with the DSP through the media unit thats tuned through an APP. Wireless remotes. Push button amp settings with a digital display to you see the HZ and gain level you are tuning to. Wi-fi streaming. HLCDs that dont sound like HLCDs of the past. 

Would be cool if they actually renamed the products with different versions when they make these changes. Kinda like how JL does v2, v3, etc.

Many do. The current 8" and 10" are a V2. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Could not disagree more. While some brands are still offering the same cabin and tower speakers and woofers as they did years ago, some are offering some very innovative stuff. Open source DSP amp. Full-range amps with the DSP through the media unit thats tuned through an APP. Wireless remotes. Push button amp settings with a digital display to you see the HZ and gain level you are tuning to. Wi-fi streaming. HLCDs that dont sound like HLCDs of the past. 

Many do. The current 8" and 10" are a V2. 

it’s funny, as I was typing my post a little birdie told me MLA would disagree based on some random minutia, and you did not disappoint!

My point was we’re all still building our systems with largely the same drivers and amps as we were 10+ years ago (when both WS and Exile underwent a complete makeover of their product lines). In essence, the bread and butter hasn’t really changed much. The oems are also still using the same stuff too (oh, but let’s not forget the new grills this year!). And maybe that’s okay! Maybe this is as good as marine audio is capable of sounding. 

As for v2, I just checked the website and you’re right!  I wasn’t aware and I’m on that site semi-frequently. So that means this is a fairly new naming convention (looks like the site was recently redesigned too), and I applaud it. Do you know when they changed it?  

While we’re on the subject, for v3 I wish they’re redesign the swivel mounts. Oh, and can we lose the chrome?  

As for DSP amps, I assume you’re talking about JL Audio MV line. I love JL amps (especially the HD line), but have never tried to go DSP mainly because the power rating don’t match up well with our boats, imho. So riddle me this, if I was to go entirely JL MV amps, what combination of MV amps would you recommend to power all three zones in a modern Malibu? I’ve been using the same configuration for the past three boats, and I’m ready for a new challenge… 

27 minutes ago, IXFE said:

As for DSP amps, I assume you’re talking about JL Audio MV line. I love JL amps (especially the HD line), but have never tried to go DSP mainly because the power rating don’t match up well with our boats, imho. So riddle me this, if I was to go entirely JL MV amps, what combination of MV amps would you recommend to power all three zones in a modern Malibu? I’ve been using the same configuration for the past three boats, and I’m ready for a new challenge… 

At least some of the MV's have processed pre-amp outputs, so you could run a mix of MV and HD.  For instance the MVi 800/8 has four channels of processed outputs, so you could run HD amps for sub and tower off of that and all would be dsp.

41 minutes ago, IXFE said:

it’s funny, as I was typing my post a little birdie told me MLA would disagree based on some random minutia, and you did not disappoint!

My point was we’re all still building our systems with largely the same drivers and amps as we were 10+ years ago (when both WS and Exile underwent a complete makeover of their product lines). In essence, the bread and butter hasn’t really changed much. The oems are also still using the same stuff too (oh, but let’s not forget the new grills this year!). And maybe that’s okay! Maybe this is as good as marine audio is capable of sounding. 

As for v2, I just checked the website and you’re right!  I wasn’t aware and I’m on that site semi-frequently. So that means this is a fairly new naming convention (looks like the site was recently redesigned too), and I applaud it. Do you know when they changed it?  

While we’re on the subject, for v3 I wish they’re redesign the swivel mounts. Oh, and can we lose the chrome?  

Have you ever thought of the new Fusion Apollo DSP amps, I’ve heard nothing but good, and they also seem to have more power than the JL MV. Only thing that sucks is you need to run the fusion Apollo compatible headunit. That was the only downside to me as I like the compatibility on the malivue screens. 

19 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

At least some of the MV's have processed pre-amp outputs, so you could run a mix of MV and HD.  For instance the MVi 800/8 has four channels of processed outputs, so you could run HD amps for sub and tower off of that and all would be dsp.

That’s good to know. So fill in the blank…

Cabin (8x Revo8’s) - MVi 800/8

Subs (2x JL Audio 12w6) - HD1200/1*

Tower (4x Rev10’s) - ____________**

* I’ve run this the past three years and LOVE it

** Looking for 300-400w per can at 2ohm (ie I’m not interested in rewiring the Gx tower to get to 4ohm, been there done that, I’m too lazy now).  Currently using syndx2.3 HP to accomplish this. 

11 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Have you ever thought of the new Fusion Apollo DSP amps, I’ve heard nothing but good, and they also seem to have more power than the JL MV. Only thing that sucks is you need to run the fusion Apollo compatible headunit. That was the only downside to me as I like the compatibility on the malivue screens. 

My days of ripping our entire systems or building from scratch are way behind me. These days I try to work with the factory setup, not against it. My goal each year is to address the weaknesses (amps and subs). I like my current recipe but always up for a new challenge next year. 

9 minutes ago, IXFE said:

My days of ripping our entire systems or building from scratch are way behind me. These days I try to work with the factory setup, not against it. My goal each year is to address the weaknesses (amps and subs). I like my current recipe but always up for a new challenge next year. 

That is exactly what I’m aiming for. This year I’m going to try out the audiocontrol matrix line driver, we’ll see how it goes. 

If I’m not content maybe I’ll try a DSP. JL makes an 8ch DSP 

26 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

That is exactly what I’m aiming for. This year I’m going to try out the audiocontrol matrix line driver, we’ll see how it goes. 

If I’m not content maybe I’ll try a DSP. JL makes an 8ch DSP 

Why a line driver? Is the factory HU voltage that low?

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

Why a line driver? Is the factory HU voltage that low?

I’ve heard they’re a bit low. Going to give it a go and see if we can’t get anything else out. Should also let the gains be set a bit lower so the amps don’t work as hard. 

42 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Cabin (8x Revo8’s) - MVi 800/8

Subs (2x JL Audio 12w6) - HD1200/1*

Tower (4x Rev10’s) - ____________**

** Looking for 300-400w per can at 2ohm (ie I’m not interested in rewiring the Gx tower to get to 4ohm, been there done that, I’m too lazy now).  Currently using syndx2.3 HP to accomplish this. 

Syndx2.3 would be fine. You would still have dsp as a slave from the MVi amp (the inputs would be dsp’d). Why mess with your recipe too much?

3 minutes ago, Brandonloos21 said:

I’ve heard they’re a bit low. Going to give it a go and see if we can’t get anything else out. Should also let the gains be set a bit lower so the amps don’t work as hard. 

The gains are just to match levels. If the signal is high the amp will still be “working hard.” 

1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

who is doing "open source DSP"?  That's the first I've heard of such a thing.

Ok, I may have used the wrong terminology, so forgive me. There are a few DSP amp lines that are open for any user to tune/retune v's one that is only accessible via manufacturer supplied hardware and software. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Oh, and can we lose the chrome?

They are polished stainless, but whats the difference, right? But for those that do not like shiny things, you can get gray aluminum fixed clamps. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

As for DSP amps, I assume you’re talking about JL Audio MV line

Not exclusively, they are not the only one doing DSP. 

Edited by MLA
3 minutes ago, MLA said:

Ok, I may have used the wrong terminology, so forgive me. There are a few DSP amp lines that are open for any use to tune/retune v's one that is only accessible via manufacturer supplied hardware and software. 

Gotcha!  I thought you meant that there was a viable hive mind marine dsp.

2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

Syndx2.3 would be fine. You would still have dsp as a slave from the MVi amp (the inputs would be dsp’d). Why mess with your recipe too much?

The reason would be uniformity. I’d prefer all one brand, but maybe that’s naive. It’s been several years since I’ve achieved that. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MLA said:

Ok, I may have used the wrong terminology, so forgive me. There are a few DSP amp lines that are open for any user to tune/retune v's one that is only accessible via manufacturer supplied hardware and software. 

They are polished stainless, but whats the difference, right? But for those that do not like shiny things, you can get gray aluminum fixed clamps. 

Not exclusively, they are not the only one doing DSP. 

What? No recommendation for me?  Come on man, play my game. 

Oh, and the chrome comment was referring to the plastic grills. 

11 hours ago, IXFE said:

Cabin (8x Revo8’s) - ARC 1000.4 or the PS8-50

Subs (2x JL Audio 12w6) - ARC 1000.2

Tower (4x Rev10’s) - ARC 1000.2

All the above have DSP capability. 
If you don't need DSP built in you could also go the KAR series amps. 

7 hours ago, IXFE said:

The reason would be uniformity. I’d prefer all one brand, but maybe that’s naive. It’s been several years since I’ve achieved that. 

you could go with a third party dsp?  I don't think anyone makes a standalone "marine" dsp, but there are plenty of car audio dsps out there.  Audiocontrol, Alpine, JL, helix, Audison, Dayton, minidsp, etc.

Wetsounds does have the sdx2500 that is a true marine amp mono amp that's 1 ohm stable and (on paper) should very easily push two 12w6v3s.  So you could stay all wetsounds on the amps.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

Seems as if a few dealers are stocking these now, pricing seems to be around 2700 for a set with swivel clamps. 

My local shop has 5 sets, but I believe they were all pre-ordered as soon as the press release went out.