Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat lift rust?

StormTrooper

StormTrooper

We have purchased a brand new 2022 boat and our area has a 2-3 year wait on wet slips anywhere plus if you’re able to find one, it’s required to use Hydrahoist brand ($12k new). We luckily found someone willing to let us take over their wet slip with an older used Hydrahoist 6600lb lift but I was kind of sketched out looking at the rust on the cage. The guy who installs these said it’s fine and he would put new wood and carpet on the bunks. Considering I am paying for an expensive toy, I do not want any issues like hull scratches or worse case scenerio this thing to collapse on me while I’m away and destroy the boat. I looked around and there were a lot with rust but it kind of worries me even though there was a wake boat on it previously. Not only am I getting an amazing deal on the slip but there’s none available. What do you guys think? Do you thinks this is okay for 12 months? (Freshwater lake)

https://www.linkpicture.com/view.php?img=LPic6227461bdf05c896512626

Looks like it needs a lot of repair work done to it. Tanks and the metal supports on them look much newer.  Is it just light surface rust and mud/dirt on the frame, or is there actual pitting of the metal? If it’s the latter I wouldn’t put my brand new 2022 on it.

Could just need a good cleaning and possibly paint it to protect it?

I'd fix that up and use it without even thinking about it.  You could replace all of the metal on there with new galvanized steel and bunk lumber for a few hundred bucks.  Like @Dsalyers said, clean it up and assess what it needs, then replace, repair, and paint it back to a thing of beauty.

I would use it. I was expecting something much worse from your description.  Get a lift company to come out and refurbish it for you and I probably wouldn’t even buy a new lift later.  With poly tanks and some TLC, it probably has a lot of life left in it.