Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spotify Car Thing

EchelonMike

Has anyone seen the new Spotify Car Thing?  https://carthing.spotify.com/

I've been working on my stereo upgrades in the off-season, and have decided not to replace the "black box" JBL receiver with another black box receiver.   Instead, I purchased a Memphis Audio MXAEQ7 with bluetooth to feed into my amps for tower, in-boat, and sub.  The only issue with this set-up is I need to grab my phone every time I want to change music.  This little "car thing" from Spotify could be really cool...phone stays in the glove box and this little remote can control the music.

May give it a try for $90 bucks.  Looks well-built, but not sure it's waterproof/water resistant (not a big issue if you keep it near the helm in my use case).

-- Mike

4 minutes ago, EchelonMike said:

Has anyone seen the new Spotify Car Thing?  https://carthing.spotify.com/

I've been working on my stereo upgrades in the off-season, and have decided not to replace the "black box" JBL receiver with another black box receiver.   Instead, I purchased a Memphis Audio MXAEQ7 with bluetooth to feed into my amps for tower, in-boat, and sub.  The only issue with this set-up is I need to grab my phone every time I want to change music.  This little "car thing" from Spotify could be really cool...phone stays in the glove box and this little remote can control the music.

May give it a try for $90 bucks.  Looks well-built, but not sure it's waterproof/water resistant (not a big issue if you keep it near the helm in my use case).

-- Mike

That looks pretty cool.  Wonder how viewing is in direct sunlight?  For $90 if you are a spotify user seems like a no brainer.  Would be nice if they had a unit like that that could do full apple carplay.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

That looks pretty cool.  Wonder how viewing is in direct sunlight?  For $90 if you are a spotify user seems like a no brainer.  Would be nice if they had a unit like that that could do full apple carplay.

I'll find out soon, just ordered it.  Comes with 3 different mounts...will see if one of them will work for a boat.  If not I'll use a magnetic mount with a coiled cord so people can grab it and mess with the music without crouching in the companionway to the bow.  

Received the "Thing" over the weekend.  Pretty cool, easy set-up via QR Code.  Love the big rotary volume knob.  Touch screen works well, and the 4 presets at the top can be programmed for fast access to what you want.  Tested it at home and worked well.  I think this will work great on the boat this summer so I can keep my phone cool in the glovebox.

image.thumb.png.7fe01f08f1a7ae2c1b7da2cabde8fd9b.png

image.thumb.png.4ddd1ad8429d743f16cf57bbf617bfe9.png

• Like 3
6 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

Received the "Thing" over the weekend.  Pretty cool, easy set-up via QR Code.  Love the big rotary volume knob.  Touch screen works well, and the 4 presets at the top can be programmed for fast access to what you want.  Tested it at home and worked well.  I think this will work great on the boat this summer so I can keep my phone cool in the glovebox.

image.thumb.png.7fe01f08f1a7ae2c1b7da2cabde8fd9b.png

image.thumb.png.4ddd1ad8429d743f16cf57bbf617bfe9.png

Does the thing Bluetooth to your phone in your glovebox and also to your boat ? 

or do you use an aux cord on one of the connections?

1 hour ago, Bozboat said:

Does the thing Bluetooth to your phone in your glovebox and also to your boat ? 

or do you use an aux cord on one of the connections?

I think it acts like a keyboard to the phone.  So the phone is bluetoothed to the stereo and the thing.  Stereo only sees the phone.  Stereo doesn't know the spotify app on the phone is being controlled by the thing.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I think it acts like a keyboard to the phone.  So the phone is bluetoothed to the stereo and the thing.  Stereo only sees the phone.  Stereo doesn't know the spotify app on the phone is being controlled by the thing.

Exactly.  Phone still bluetooth to your stereo, Thing pairs to your phone and controls Spotify app as essentially a remote.  Only needs power (would be cool if it had battery so we could chuck it around the boat.

18 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

16 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

Exactly.  Phone still bluetooth to your stereo, Thing pairs to your phone and controls Spotify app as essentially a remote.  Only needs power (would be cool if it had battery so we could chuck it around the boat.

That seems like Bluetooth compounded exponentially. Hope it works

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

@EchelonMike Any update on how this thing works?  They are killing the product and its down to $44.  I get its just a remote for the phone but I like the idea of having a larger dedicated Spotify display so I'm not fumbling with my phone while driving.

I have it plugged into a usb port in the gunwale cupholder for power, and people can grab it and change the music sitting in the back area.  It works well, but the cord wants to disconnect too easily when passing it around.  A battery power option would have been ideal.  We have found we listen to most music while in the water at anchor, and can adjust volume and move tracks in a playlist from iWatch or Android watch from swimming in the water.  It's cool, but can't really do the job of a dedicated remote from a head unit, or the phone itself.  One of my great ideas that in reality was just OK.  :-) 

Edited by EchelonMike
  • 3 weeks later...