Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Max weight cap for towing vehicle

WakeB33

Hi! My tranny just went on my SUV so I am in the market for a new vehicle. What is the max weight of a fully loaded 04 Wakesetter VLX? I don’t tow far, but I could travel. Is a half ton truck or a 3/4 ton truck needed? The market is crazy right now and I don’t want to buy at all, but I don’t want to overdo it for no plausible reason. What’s my best truck option and the max weight of a fully loaded (full tanks and equipment -not including full ballast bc I won’t be towing with that) 04 VLX with trailer? 

thank you!!!

GonGitchu a RAM 1500, and get the Limited. Or, if you can find one, any model with the air ride suspension. 

Mine handles my '16 23LSV just fine. However, my trailer brakes are fully functional. Bad brakes on the trailer mean you need more truck (or more brake jobs) to stop it.

Edited by BigCreek

Any modern RAM 1500 will tow and stop that easily. (Could even do it with a Ford ;) A 2004 VLX is maybe 4500 on the trailer.  No need for the fancy suspension unless you muck with the stock suspension by leveling it. )

Edited by oldjeep

I don't know what that boat weights but your question seems to be do you need a 1/2 ton truck.  If that is really the question you can either take the feedback from this board or take the boat and trailer to the truck scales and see what it weighs.  Based on that, if you are not planning on upgrading the boat use that to determine what you shop for.  There are a lot of vehicles that can tow 5,000 pounds that are not trucks which will give you lots more options.  

My boat weighs 4500 ish on the trailer; I towed it with a new Tacoma for a bit and hated towing the boat with it and it had like a 6600 lbs. rating.  I'd say it was stable enough and controlled it fine but it needed about 50 more horsepower.  Honestly I would not want to tow a 4500 to 5K boat with an SUV or small truck with a 5K tow rating or less as there's no real margin and the experience will probably suck.   

• Like 2

I towed my 2007 VLX with a 2006 GMC half ton. Denali version so it had a 6L but half ton nonetheless. Did great even towing over passes regularly. Put 96k on it in 2 years and never had one issue. Would not have considered anything smaller though. Stick to a truck too. My $.02

I use to tow a 2004, VLX, with a 2012 Tundra, 5.7, double cab. It was fine but liked fuel like any gas vehicle. It's about 4500 pounds with a 750 pound tongue weight with the stock trailer. You'll be fine with any half ton. 

Edited by malibu2004
  • Like 1
On 2/22/2022 at 8:33 AM, Slayer said:

You should be just fine with that boat in a 1/2 ton with a max tow package.  

even one with just a tow package (i.e. transmission oil cooler ) will be fine for travel , that is def not one of  today's modern hulls and their weight

Why not get a new transmission on your tow vehicle and wait for the Market to readjust. Then sell it ( or donate ) and Buy something new next year. when there are more to choose from.

The rebuilt trans should not cost as much as a new truck. 

Would I be correct in assuming the reason you smoked the tranny in the SUV is because you are over the towing rating for the Vehicle?

You haven't told us what the SUV was.