Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diesel fuel additives

ThinBuLine

And let the debate begin…..

do you use a fuel additive to your diesel fuel and if you do which one and why?

I never have but I’m beginning to think I should

What are you thinking you are deficient in?  Cetane, cold weather, lubricity....  Diesel, unlike gasoline, is mostly unadditized when consumer purchase it.  

Edited by Five Cent Worth

When we had our weak long cold snap last year in North Texas I added some Cetane to prevent my diesel fuel from gel-ing.  Pretty sure I also changed my filters quickly after that.

I'm an not a fan of fuel additives....but I am interested to hear what others say and think.

Howes winter additive and HotShots everyday additive all year. Truck runs way better with it and picked up several mpgs. 2000 24v

I’m not a fan of power services treatment as I have had a truck gel up several times with it. 

Edited by 06malibu
  • Like 2

I used to use it religiously.   Now it isn’t needed. There is no sense in using a fuel adaptive unless your in super cold temps and have the chance of gelling. In most cases fuel  additive can improve your cetane numbers.  Cetane improves impact to the point of ignition as well as promote a more complete burn of the fuel, but the gains are very minimal. Manufacturers like Volvo, Detroit Diesel, Cummins and I think maybe even power stroke are recommending you don’t use an additive.

I’ve driven diesels for a better part of my life. My best advise buy your diesel from a good gas station and you will be fine. I get all my fuel from a card lock facility Pacific Pride. Their cetane numbers are in the low 50s.  

I think consumers overthink the additives.  I have had zero issues through last year’s freeze or this year’s cold weather (call it down to minus 10) - truck starts fine not being plugged in and no issues with just diesel straight from the pump.   

I use the hotshot anti gel if it’s going to be lower than 10f. My brother got “gelled” twice last winter around that temp. Diesel 911 worked pretty well to get him back on the road. Not sure if he had summer blend fuel… doubt it as it was pretty far in the winter. I use it in the winter as cheap insurance. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel

My hotshot anti gel order came with a free bottle of their “everyday treatment”. I saw an almost 2 mpg increase… but that might have been my driving and the placebo effect. I believe in the anti gel, maybe not so much the boost additive.

I drop sea foam in just about everything with a motor I own every once in a while (and more often for small engines and the boat); I drop a lucas injector cleaner in my diesel truck and equipment every once in a while.  I have no idea if these additives help anything but I don't see any downside just in case.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 2

Look up your additive on YouTube... there are several folks that have done independent studies on several of the fuel and oil additives.  Have see some positive stuff on SeaFoam as both a fuel and oil additive.

2 hours ago, MLBurns said:

If you want to extend the life of your CP4 pump, you will need to use an additive that increases lubricity.

Well thankfully Chevy got rid of that garbage and went to the HP4. Ford still uses the CP4. 

52 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

Well thankfully Chevy got rid of that garbage and went to the HP4. Ford still uses the CP4. 

What year did Chevy make the split? I have a 2017 🙃

A lot of diesels on the road not using additives. I personally think it isn't needed these days if you buy your fuel from a reputable place. 

I've run a handful of Super Duty trucks and a couple Chevy 2500s, all diesels. All have been extremely reliable. Note this is only a 1/2 dozen or so trucks and all in the last 10 years, so it's a small sample size, but I think it's fairly representative of what 99% of users will see.

I do occasionally use anti-gel when it gets below -10 in both my trucks and Jeep Ecodiesel.

I really think it depends on the engine and when manufactured. Pre 2007 I would assume could benefit more from an additive than post as that is when the epa began changing sulfur content in diesel. I remember substantial fuel economy loss around 2007/08 in our 2006 6.0. About the time fuel prices spiked (due to fewer refineries) the fuel economy fell from the changing standards. 

46 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

What year did Chevy make the split? I have a 2017 🙃

They went to the HP4 in 2018. And they have had very good success with the switch. I know my duramax buddies are raving about it. 

Conflicting statements there. In late 2017 they went with the L5P, is this when they changed the pumps?

also is there a way to look up a fuel companies lubricity and all the other facts online or do you have to send the fuel out for testing?

5 minutes ago, ThinBuLine said:

Conflicting statements there. In late 2017 they went with the L5P, is this when they changed the pumps?

also is there a way to look up a fuel companies lubricity and all the other facts online or do you have to send the fuel out for testing?

Here is the site I found that says 2011-2016. 🤷‍♀️

https://www.xtremediesel.com/blog/2021/09/01/what-is-a-cp4-pump-and-why-does-it-fail/

I bought my first diesel new in 2000.  I've had 3 CTDs and one Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel.  I've never used fuel additives.  It looks like Cummins endorses only two - Diesel Kleen and Diesel Fuel additive.

https://www.cummins.com/news/releases/2017/05/10/cummins-inc-officially-recommends-power-service-diesel-kleen-cetane-and