Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hitch options

RCorsa

About to pick up my new m240 with a triple axil trailer. My dealer said the top of the coupler is 24 inches from the top to the ground which sounds high to me.  Maybe some of you with big heavy boats like m240 or maybe 25 LSV can confirm.   I have a new f250 Shelby with the max tow package 3 inch rec (rated at 20k) but with the lift/tires the bottom edge is nearly 22 inches from the ground.   Photos attached 

I was thinking of getting one of the new gen y hitches with that shock system that is rated so well.  It has a tongue weight limit of 2700 and rated at 21k.  It can drop from 3 to 12 but based on what the dealer is telling me I would set it at 0 or maybe 3 which seems odd for a lifted f250.  

What am I missing here?  The only other thing I was thinking is adding an air suspension system but if the trailer is level it seems like the truck won’t squat as much?   

Thanks 

98B5C252-B6BA-4063-AC1E-D5DE8EDA738F.jpeg

731D72E1-D5C9-4724-A028-29B2692C6445.jpeg

Thanks @DFW That is super helpful.  I actually spoke to the folks at Gen Y hitches.  They said the 21K flex suspension hitch  needs an optimal tongue weight of 1700-2100 pounds to work well and that they recommended I use a reducer to drop to the 2.5 receiver and a 16K hitch suspension with optimal tongue weight of 1000-1700 pounds given my set is likely around 1100.   The one they recommended that goes from +3 to -10 although based on this I probably would just tow at 0?  The more I read about these flex hitches the more eager I am tot try one.  They say it reduces the forces 90%, and radically improves the feel of pulling and users are noting 2-3MPG improvements in gas mileage?  

24” sounds about right for a new triple axle. Top of my ball is just under 25” and with 2” of squat I should ideally move it up 1 hole. 
52B9F27A-A1D0-42AC-8CD9-261C85DD3B41.thumb.jpeg.94621efd14f06e817e67b19db2bf6c8f.jpeg

Gen y torsion looks like a sweet setup the only thing I don’t like is how you’re limited to 3” adjustments in height. 
Been impressed with my weigh safe 180 and don’t feel much shock with it either. I think a big part of it is having a tight fitment in the truck receiver and smooth surge brakes. 

I’m on the Weigh Safe bandwagon as well. Have a 2” (4” drop) and. 2 1/2” (8” drop) draw bar that both work with the ball and scale assembly. Versatile and high quality, no complaints.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, RCorsa said:

I probably would just tow at 0?

Tow with whatever setup puts the trailer level when it is hooked up and fully loaded.  Allowing the trailer to ride tipped forward or aft will put extra strain on one set of torsion axles.  I still prefer springs and equalizers for this reason.

• Like 3

Actually the MPG improvement was based on several reviews of customers pulling the exact same trailers and weights with and without this type of “torsion flex” hitch.  

I asked the company and they won’t state that number but they will say they have some strong Evidence of “improved tow vehicle efficiency”.  Granted these hitches are $1,000+ so maybe it’s just people trying to justify the high cost???   Anyway I bought one so I’ll let you all know although no way to compare I guess. Lol 

Hook it up on flat ground and put a level on the trailer frame.  Then set the hitch so its level.  

A black cerakote weigh-safe would look and work great with your combo.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/cerakote-black-weigh-safe-drop-hitch/

Edit:  I just saw you already made the purchase after the post.  Gen-Y makes solid products.  Good luck.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Actually the MPG improvement was based on several reviews of customers pulling the exact same trailers and weights with and without this type of “torsion flex” hitch.  

Placebo effect.  If I tell you what you are testing for me, you will subconsciously change what you do.

@Stevo so I installed the gen y hitch.  The thing is massive and massively heavy (nearly 100lbs).  I’m a reasonably fit guy and it was still not easy to move. Lol. 

With my set up  i used  a 5 inch drop and the top of the ball was right at 24 inches on level ground.  Photo is at a bit on incline parked. 

17BCE49B-FBAC-485A-9524-5ABFE17656BE.jpeg

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, RCorsa said:

@Stevo so I installed the gen y hitch.  The thing is massive and massively heavy (nearly 100lbs).  I’m a reasonably fit guy and it was still not easy to move. Lol. 

With my set up  i used  a 5 inch drop and the top of the ball was right at 24 inches on level ground.  Photo is at a bit on incline parked. 

17BCE49B-FBAC-485A-9524-5ABFE17656BE.jpeg

I was close to getting that hitch to put on my Raptor, but the weight of it was what made me decide against it.  It will be interesting to see much sag you get in that new truck.  I am sure you will get quite a bit more than a typical F250 since your truck has softer, off-roading suspension.  Also, like to hear your review of the Gen-y hitch.

I will take photos once hooked up. I assumed a bit a sag will occur but the folks at gen y said it would be far less than expected since the truck has the max tow package set up and optimizing the drop and the  hitch suspension  reduces the effect of tongue weight by 90%. I had actually considered adding some air suspension but they it would 100% not be needed.  That said I’m always s but cynical and fingers crossed.