Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rivian Tow Test

RyanB

4 hours ago, COOP said:

WAY more that half. Look up all the youtube videos.

I’ve seen a ton of YouTube videos on the subject and read a plethora of other owners’ reports.  Not going to argue with you about it.  New software update came yesterday.   Biggest new feature was new range calculation based on stored trailer profiles and weight calculators.  One issue that was definitely previously prevalent was miscalculating range when towing, but its now fixed once the trailer is learned.  When you use kwh per mile, which is by far the most accurate measurement anyways, it’s almost always between .9-1.2 mi/kwh when towing.  135 kWh battery.   Easy to do the math.  

In Edmunds test (on youtube) they got .9 mi/kwh towing a 7500# box trailer in hills, which was obviously very (un) aerodynamic, and the biggest range killer.  That is in fact almost exactly half of power consumption when unladen.  A small trailer with less than 100 sq ft of front sail will get far better numbers.  

I’m not at all suggesting an EV truck is a suitable replacement for everyone.  Far from it.  I’m just saying, we’ve been very surprised, and I’ll be getting an R1T.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot
40 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

It’s very comparable to wagoneer and Yukon.  Far more comparable to them than to a unibody 3 row.  Plus, we use the frunk for most things that would otherwise go in the trunk.  It’s pretty darn big.

yeah a coworker has the SUV too.  It's yuge in person.

2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

It’s very comparable to wagoneer and Yukon.  Far more comparable to them than to a unibody 3 row.  Plus, we use the frunk for most things that would otherwise go in the trunk.  It’s pretty darn big.

As big as an F-150 cab?  No.  Bigger than mid size though.  

I could certainly use a frunk.  The back seat of the F-150 is my frunk.  Well, the seat is tilted up and the huge maw of a floor is stacked with stuff.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, justgary said:

I could certainly use a frunk.  The back seat of the F-150 is my frunk.  Well, the seat is tilted up and the huge maw of a floor is stacked with stuff.

Keep in mind the R1T also has a large gear tunnel. Long enough for skis, guns, boards, etc.  

Gear guard function and camping mode are seriously freakin sweet too.  Ok, fanboism over.  

15 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Keep in mind the R1T also has a large gear tunnel. Long enough for skis, guns, boards, etc.  

Gear guard function and camping mode are seriously freakin sweet too.  Ok, fanboism over.  

Or for the price, you could get a reallllly nice cargo trailer to go with it ;)

12 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Resurrecting this since many more are in the wild.  

Wife got an R1S in July.  To say it is the most impressive vehicle we’ve ever bought is an understatement.  No, haven’t towed yet.  I was on the fence at first, but I can’t wait to get an R1T.  The drive modes, air suspension, speed, and UI are just mind-bogglingly excellent.  Now with the max packs shipping in dual motor setup and 400 miles of range, Rivian has 85barefoot’s solid seal of approval.  Monthly updates are incredible.  Simplicity is incredible.  I can confidently say I’ll never buy an ICE again.  Add Teslas network to the equation, and this “movement” will move quicker and quicker once more people experience the EV difference.  Well done Rivian.

Does it charge up overnight at your house? 

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  My Ram will do about 640 on 32 gallons (freeway)  The price premium of the EV's still doesn't make any sense to me over my normal 7-9 year ownership of a truck.  Will put over 600 miles on it tomorrow and not worry about where the gas stations are (but will fill on the way)

Price premium is smaller than you might think on a lot of trims.  Comparing a hemi Big Horn to a Rivian from a costs perspective is not really apples and oranges.  But against a TRX/Raptor heck even a Ram Limited or High Country, no doubt you’re getting way more for far less in operating costs.  Not to mention maintenance, hassle, engine/driveline issues etc.  

I’ll be quiet now. Lol.

35 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Does it charge up overnight at your house? 

Yep.  But we only charge it every 4 or 5 days if used for just daily driving.  We follow the “80-20” rule, which is recommended for max longevity.  Since there’s no reason not to, we just do that.  And to be clear and frank, no, haven’t taken it on a road trip yet.  Have used some other local chargers but nothing along a desolate interstate.  We drive 80 miles to an adjacent big city for things on occasion and since its all within a charge cycle, just charge when home.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Or for the price, you could get a reallllly nice cargo trailer to go with it ;)

A lot more discretion to be had with the R1T for sure but our R1S was significantly lower price than the other vehicles we were shopping.  

8 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Price premium is smaller than you might think on a lot of trims.  Comparing a hemi Big Horn to a Rivian from a costs perspective is not really apples and oranges.  But against a TRX/Raptor heck even a Ram Limited or High Country, no doubt you’re getting way more for far less in operating costs.  Not to mention maintenance, hassle, engine/driveline issues etc.  

I’ll be quiet now. Lol.

Problem is that they don't sell any apples