Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rivian Tow Test

RyanB

I saw one IRL on Sunday.  I'm actually pretty impressed having seen that vid... it's not a big truck in person.  It looks more like a tacoma.  the power is there and apparently the road manners.  It's just the range.  5-7 years and I think these are going to be viable for lots of folks.  Probably not for a 1000 mile round trip, but maybe 250, which is probably more than most people would need (if not want).

That was a rigorous test indeed.  8100lbs trailer, cold temps, super steep climb.  I think for most people towing within 50 miles of their lake, this would handle it great.  8100 is probably a fair comparison for a lot of modern boats.  My A22 on trailer is just under 7k.  No heater draining the battery in the summer.  Could skip AC in favor of windows down if you want.  Plus most drives will be much more flat than this test.  I'm still in as my lake drives are either 26 or 45 miles.  

1 hour ago, theloungelife said:

That was a rigorous test indeed.  8100lbs trailer, cold temps, super steep climb.  I think for most people towing within 50 miles of their lake, this would handle it great.  8100 is probably a fair comparison for a lot of modern boats.  My A22 on trailer is just under 7k.  No heater draining the battery in the summer.  Could skip AC in favor of windows down if you want.  Plus most drives will be much more flat than this test.  I'm still in as my lake drives are either 26 or 45 miles.  

Rivian is starting at just over $67k, I don't think too many people are going to want to make the compromise on skipping AC because it's not capable of enough otherwise. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I think for most people they will skip for now.  Still in early adopters terriroty, which is where I would place myself.  Don't forget the $7500 from the gov't off that $67K, so closer to $60K + tax.  Preorders still aren't anywhere near the cap point yet.

3 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I skipped to the recap at the end and heard 60% charge depletion over the 8 miles uphill stretch, did I hear that right?  

It was 16% not 60% for the 8 mile trip up the Ike gauntlet. 

Summary of the test results:

70 mile tow from Boulder to top of Ike used 81%. 

8 mile downhill on Ike regenerated 2%

Recharged at Walmart by adding 37% in 27 minutes. 

8 mile tow up Ike gauntlet used 16%

70 mile tow from top of Ike down to Boulder used 21%

Excluding the Ike section: 140 miles towing 8500lb trailer used 102% of battery. = 137 miles of range.

Total used on Ike (8 mi down + 8 mi up) used 14%.

Item of Note: they stated it was the only time in their 10 year history that they had to refuel a truck on the test!

Towing range issue clearly displayed. 

Edited by BLSousa
  • Like 3
19 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Looks only a Honda Ridgeline owner could love ;)  

The only thing I thought during that video was that the wrong vehicle was on the trailer.

IMO, having electric brakes is the only way this is safe.  Towing +8K lbs with surge brakes on a TV that "small" would scare the daylights out of me!

While i can appreciate that they have been doing this for 10 years, I'm not sold on the setup.  At 2:05, you can see him actually dropping the tongue weight on the truck.  I didnt see very much squat.  Which means either the leveling system IMMEDIATELY compensated, if there is not nearly enough tongue weight for that trailer.  Also, did anyone notice that he was able to easily place the load bars into place by hand? 

Edited by Texan32
  • 1 month later...

So, a couple things here.  

1.  That eco boost engine isn't nearly as efficient as my 5.3 GM pulling the same weight, so my numbers would have been better than this.

2.  The Rivian couldn't even get my boat to my favorite lake without stopping to re-charge in an area where there are NO chargers, let alone figure out how to get back, because there are no chargers there, and I dont expect any in the next several years.

When they start getting the EV's to a point that they make sense for my use, I would love one, but It's going to be several years before that happens.

2 hours ago, mrothwell said:

So, a couple things here.  

1.  That eco boost engine isn't nearly as efficient as my 5.3 GM pulling the same weight, so my numbers would have been better than this.

2.  The Rivian couldn't even get my boat to my favorite lake without stopping to re-charge in an area where there are NO chargers, let alone figure out how to get back, because there are no chargers there, and I dont expect any in the next several years.

When they start getting the EV's to a point that they make sense for my use, I would love one, but It's going to be several years before that happens.

Same here for towing an RV trailer.  I need something that I can recharge along a two-track highway in the middle of Kansas in under 20 minutes that gets me 200 miles of towing range without needing to unhook my trailer to get the vehicle to the charge spot.  It'll be a while.

• 5 weeks later...

By the time you start adding options, these things are in HD truck territory in terms of cost.

image.thumb.png.bf72a15046f1072ba5e3a51b3dd0fadd.png

I'd rather an HD all day in comparison and I think we're 5-10 years away from these being viable to people like me and man others on this forum. 

JMHO.

Pleather has come a long way. I actually prefer it for car seats — it feels nice and holds up really well. How much of that fine Corinthian leather is still in service?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Pleather has come a long way. I actually prefer it for car seats — it feels nice and holds up really well. How much of that fine Corinthian leather is still in service?

Yeah, my wifes Lexus is all "leatherette" and she has no complaints about it.

On 4/29/2022 at 12:18 PM, Jhucke said:

....Obviously no...

Then from cows that died from natural causes, perhaps?

Or maybe it is from deer that died of CWD.

• 1 month later...

I seem to be on the same work schedule as a new Rivian owner and see one on the way to and from work now.  It looks like its about the size of a Taco.  Is this a midsize truck or a half ton or its own deal?