Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rivian Tow Test

RyanB

The evolution is inevitable and way over do. Like the automobile was to the horse. Our great-great-great grandkids will marvel that things we drove around with. Someday the sun or just re-generation is more than necessary to take us from point A to point B.

Steve B.

Time scale for change varies but happens pretty fast really. The horse to car happened fast. As did film to digital, vinyl to tape/CD/stream, fax to email, male female to whatever, etc 

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

The evolution is inevitable and way over do. Like the automobile was to the horse. Our great-great-great grandkids will marvel that things we drove around with. Someday the sun or just re-generation is more than necessary to take us from point A to point B.

Steve B.

Somebody’s great great grandkid still better get the red barchetta out to stretch its legs tho. 

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this since many more are in the wild.  

Wife got an R1S in July.  To say it is the most impressive vehicle we’ve ever bought is an understatement.  No, haven’t towed yet.  I was on the fence at first, but I can’t wait to get an R1T.  The drive modes, air suspension, speed, and UI are just mind-bogglingly excellent.  Now with the max packs shipping in dual motor setup and 400 miles of range, Rivian has 85barefoot’s solid seal of approval.  Monthly updates are incredible.  Simplicity is incredible.  I can confidently say I’ll never buy an ICE again.  Add Teslas network to the equation, and this “movement” will move quicker and quicker once more people experience the EV difference.  Well done Rivian.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

To say it is the most impressive vehicle we’ve ever bought is an understatement

Honest question. What makes it so impressive? I have driven a Porsche Taycan and a Tesla model 3 but was not inspired to go buy either one.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
21 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Honest question. What makes it so impressive? I have driven a Porsche Taycan and a Tesla model 3 but was not inspired to go buy either one.

It’s just the combination of blistering power, a very compliant yet very adjustable air suspension, a commanding seating position (for an EV), incredible off road capability (not that I’m inclined to overland a bunch but it did do the Rubicon trail totally bone stock, and I will have it in sand and dirt launch ramps), and just the confluence of a fully functioning 7 seat SUV platform that takes road bumps well and will out sprint the majority of supercars ever made, just make it very enjoyable.  And it cost well under what a comparably equipped wagoneer or Yukon would have been.  Is it for everyone?  No I don’t think so.  But it sure is for us.

As to the Taycan and 3 you drove, anything “Special” about them?  Reason I ask is base Taycan numbers are dwarfed by those of the Rivian.  I’m seeing even the GTS, at almost double the price of a Rivian is slower.  No I don’t go mashing it everywhere, but to be able to do so, in a fully capable off-road hauler, is pretty amazing.  

5 minutes ago, 85 Barefoot said:

It’s just the combination of blistering power, a very compliant yet very adjustable air suspension, a commanding seating position (for an EV), incredible off road capability (not that I’m inclined to overland a bunch but it did do the Rubicon trail totally bone stock, and I will have it in sand and dirt launch ramps), and just the confluence of a fully functioning 7 seat SUV platform that takes road bumps well and will out sprint the majority of supercars ever made, just make it very enjoyable.  And it cost well under what a comparably equipped wagoneer or Yukon would have been.  Is it for everyone?  No I don’t think so.  But it sure is for us.

As to the Taycan and 3 you drove, anything “Special” about them?  Reason I ask is base Taycan numbers are dwarfed by those of the Rivian.  I’m seeing even the GTS, at almost double the price of a Rivian is slower.  No I don’t go mashing it everywhere, but to be able to do so, in a fully capable off-road hauler, is pretty amazing.  

Sounds cool. I have done minimal research on the subject, but being priced less than similar wagoneers and yukons is a big plus. And better performance.

I'm not sure of the upgrades on the Taycan, my neighbor did the vrbo thing for cars and had it for the weekend. It must have been a base model as the acceleration was not impressive as I anticipated. Possibly partly because it's a different acceleration than my body is used to. You don't get the jerk of the shifts or the sound of the engine, although it was an option to pipe engine noise inside and outside the car :crazy:

The tesla has the performance upgrade, where you pay to "unlock" more power with a download. Also the fart noise when you turn on the blinker.  

Maybe my expectations are too high and/or I'm afraid of things I don't know how to fix if/when they break.. No, my 98 bu is not a prime example of this....  :blush:

The R1S does sound like a fun machine to operate. 

12 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Sounds cool. I have done minimal research on the subject, but being priced less than similar wagoneers and yukons is a big plus. And better performance.

I'm not sure of the upgrades on the Taycan, my neighbor did the vrbo thing for cars and had it for the weekend. It must have been a base model as the acceleration was not impressive as I anticipated. Possibly partly because it's a different acceleration than my body is used to. You don't get the jerk of the shifts or the sound of the engine, although it was an option to pipe engine noise inside and outside the car :crazy:

The tesla has the performance upgrade, where you pay to "unlock" more power with a download. Also the fart noise when you turn on the blinker.  

Maybe my expectations are too high and/or I'm afraid of things I don't know how to fix if/when they break.. No, my 98 bu is not a prime example of this....  :blush:

The R1S does sound like a fun machine to operate. 

8 year 175,000 mile battery warranty.  There’s a whole lot less moving parts than in an ICE.  When’s the last time a battery weed eater had a problem compared to gas?  I get the hesitation. I just wanted to let folks here know that after three months of real world usage, despite not towing, which I recognize is important, this thing is for real.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, COOP said:

400 miles of range isnt towing.

True.  Average Malibu probably cuts it in half.  Our unit, being the quad motor and only large pack only gets 300.  But in our real life usage, again, towing aside, 300 miles is a lot longer than people give it credit for.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
1 minute ago, 85 Barefoot said:

True.  Average Malibu probably cuts it in half.

More like 2/3rds. My stated range is 320. Towing more like 110. 

This is still early and us EV owners are early adopters. Most all manufactures have bugs and kinks to work out. 

Just now, teamerickson said:

More like 2/3rds. My stated range is 320. Towing more like 110. 

This is still early and us EV owners are early adopters. Most all manufactures have bugs and kinks to work out. 

Every towing situation is different, but towing experience as reported on Rivian Forums is that it’s cutting it in half. There was a new software update that downloaded last night that actually provides some additional towing metrics and extenders apparently, though I’ve not taken a deep dive yet, but I am excited about Halloween mode With bats and organs as exterior sound effects. I guess it’s just little things like that with constant software updates that just make this user experience way more fun than a traditional ice. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, COOP said:

400 miles of range isnt towing.

That would do me 40 trips.

edit: My Range Rover with 30 gallons will go 290... with luck.

Edited by Steve B.
Added info

TFL has done some good towing tests to show mileage when towing. and imo it’s kind of silly to talk about any large suv for off-road. 

People want a vehicle to be all things and it just doesn’t work that way. Sounds like a fun vehicle to drive around town. But it’s not ready for the tow service (or long trips) that I personally need.  Maybe some day electric vehicles will get there. They are already clearly good enough for many. 

19 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

That would do me 40 trips.

edit: My Range Rover with 30 gallons will go 290... with luck.

The biggest difference is that you can stop for 10 minutes, fill up, use the bathroom, and go another 290 miles. 

24 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

My Range Rover with 30 gallons will go 290... with luck.

And my F-150 3.5L will go over 600 on 30 gallons.  I can generally go over 300 when towing.

spacer.png

I'm certainly not knocking the Rivian, but I'm still too excited about the F-150 to bother with something else.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

TFL has done some good towing tests to show mileage when towing. and imo it’s kind of silly to talk about any large suv for off-road

People want a vehicle to be all things and it just doesn’t work that way. Sounds like a fun vehicle to drive around town. But it’s not ready for the tow service (or long trips) that I personally need.  Maybe some day electric vehicles will get there. They are already clearly good enough for many. 

The biggest difference is that you can stop for 10 minutes, fill up, use the bathroom, and go another 290 miles. 

Nope, not for everybody.  But with more 350 kWh chargers coming online, and if you could pull full current, you could pick up about 10 miles per minute of charging.  So, 200 miles in 20 minutes, assuming Rivian would unlock that speed.  For now would be slower than that at around 200 kWh.  As for off-roading, no diff, no axles, massive air suspension, better ground clearance, and 4 independent motors  make it a pretty interesting off roader though.  Again, R1S did the Rubicon bone stock.  

I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything and a long haul tow vehicle its not.  However, the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages for us so far. YMMV.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
2 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Every towing situation is different, but towing experience as reported on Rivian Forums is that it’s cutting it in half. There was a new software update that downloaded last night that actually provides some additional towing metrics and extenders apparently, though I’ve not taken a deep dive yet, but I am excited about Halloween mode With bats and organs as exterior sound effects. I guess it’s just little things like that with constant software updates that just make this user experience way more fun than a traditional ice. 

Weight of boat / speed of tow / elevation change all play a part?  If I lived where it was flat and my tows were within 100 miles R/T, I'd strongly consider an EV.

This summer I did a MTB trip with some buddies.  We took his tesla model 3 from Reno to Hailey, ID.  Other friends drove an ICE vehicle.  Bikes were in the car and all aero fittings were on.  Friends made it 2.5 hours faster than us, due to ability maintain higher sustained speeds and quicker refueling, even with us having access to tesla superchargers along the way.  The trip wasn't bad, but there's definitely an expectation reset on travel speed required when you intend to venture beyond the vehicle's stated range.  The stops didn't "feel" overly long, and it was nice to stretch our legs.  Fuel cost was under $50 round trip, which would equate to about 12 gallons of gas at local prices, so that was awesome.

I can see towing across Nevada being super dicey given the wide spaces between charging stations.  And even if you could stay topped off, it'd be pretty grueling with all the required stops.  It's not like you want to wait around for that (much slower) last 20% of charge every time you stop.

Edited by shawndoggy
3 hours ago, justgary said:

And my F-150 3.5L will go over 600 on 30 gallons.  I can generally go over 300 when towing.

spacer.png

I'm certainly not knocking the Rivian, but I'm still too excited about the F-150 to bother with something else.

Yeah, I'm right there with you.  My Ram will do about 640 on 32 gallons (freeway)  The price premium of the EV's still doesn't make any sense to me over my normal 7-9 year ownership of a truck.  Will put over 600 miles on it tomorrow and not worry about where the gas stations are (but will fill on the way)

4 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

In all seriousness - how does it compare space wise to a full sized truck/SUV (like a Wagoneer or Yukon or crew cab pickup)?  Every time I see one around here it looks tiny.  My daughters Sorento was a "7 seat SUV" - but nothing that more than 4 adults would ever want to ride in.

When’s the last time a battery weed eater had a problem compared to gas?  

Ive had batteries for my EGO stuff replaced so many times for going bad that I got rid of all of it.

• Like 2

True.  Average Malibu probably cuts it in half.  Our unit, being the quad motor and only large pack only gets 300.  But in our real life usage, again, towing aside, 300 miles is a lot longer than people give it credit for.

WAY more that half. Look up all the youtube videos.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

In all seriousness - how does it compare space wise to a full sized truck/SUV (like a Wagoneer or Yukon or crew cab pickup)?  Every time I see one around here it looks tiny.  My daughters Sorento was a "7 seat SUV" - but nothing that more than 4 adults would ever want to ride in.

It’s very comparable to wagoneer and Yukon.  Far more comparable to them than to a unibody 3 row.  Plus, we use the frunk for most things that would otherwise go in the trunk.  It’s pretty darn big.

As big as an F-150 cab?  No.  Bigger than mid size though.  

Edited by 85 Barefoot