Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a used trailer MXZ 24'

drewski300

Is there a market or options for purchasing used trailers? We are likely buying a 2018 MXZ 24' boat from the dealer but it doesn't have an included trailer. Of course, they are like, we really do not have anything other than a completely different color trailer. So knock off a couple of thousand we would need to repaint it.

If Malibu trailers are impossible to come by, do someone make a universal trailer to fit a 24' MXZ? We use the trailer 2 times a year, once to launch and once to bring to the dealer for winterization. I really hate the idea of spending 10k for a custom new Malibu trailer to fit an older boat.

So I've found a handful of new trailers but are unsure of the pricing. Does anyone know who currently OEM's for Malibu?

Looks like Extreme, Boatmate, and possibly EZ Loader are potential options for new trailers. But like I said, I'd prefer used because we trailer so little.

Used seem tough to come by.  Every now and then I see them on FB.  I am not sure if you are towing for maintenance or vacation, but you may be able to work out a deal with a local marina or shop to borrow one short term.  Or another Bu owner in the area.  

My 2017 24 MXZ was on a Boatmate built for a 2016 25 LSV. I believe the LSV and MXZ have the same running surface other than the bow and the MXZ fit great on this trailer other than the bunks being 6” too long. IMO the Boatmate was a much higher quality build than my new Malibu trailer.

8227D2EA-8A8D-484F-8469-4101FD0A4D86.thumb.jpeg.35cc0d6cea3111c0f995c27d7369c410.jpeg
709FD711-8DCC-4A11-AA41-4AFC2D8EC074.thumb.jpeg.2b152a2c5193c99e221348a1dcf9f7b5.jpeg

B3EBC1F8-A8AE-4009-B6D3-C611FDF55747.thumb.jpeg.fedb0e3d4d3678e9e467bd1f0e27254a.jpeg

6CBD90EA-0A4F-4762-9CF5-24AE9A072289.thumb.jpeg.43ed44f890d9bf7e35a8a7b2891252d8.jpeg

12 hours ago, DFW said:

My 2017 24 MXZ was on a Boatmate built for a 2016 25 LSV. I believe the LSV and MXZ have the same running surface other than the bow and the MXZ fit great on this trailer other than the bunks being 6” too long. IMO the Boatmate was a much higher quality build than my new Malibu trailer.

Did you order the trailer or did it just come with it. I did use BoatMate's online trailer builder and submitted a request for more info yesterday. I'm hoping to get a response back. I'm probably just getting hung up on buying a new 10k trailer for 4 year old boat. But if we need a trailer and cannot find a used trailer, this is our only option.

16 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Used seem tough to come by.  Every now and then I see them on FB.  I am not sure if you are towing for maintenance or vacation, but you may be able to work out a deal with a local marina or shop to borrow one short term.  Or another Bu owner in the area.  

Our local shop would be willing to give us a year usage without charging us. My biggest hesitation comes from our previous 2015 Axis that had numerous problems with our surf gate failure. Over the 3 years of ownership, we brought it into the shop 5 or 6 times. I'm hopeful this 2018 Malibu with 100 hours on it should provide a little less maintenance! LOL We have only once thought about towing it 2 hours to another lake so it's strictly launch in/launch out with having it trailered in the spring so we can do a cleaning/waxing.

So we may go with no trailer to start and just keep an eye out for one that isn't 10k.

Come sale time, your 2022 trailer will increase the value of your whole rig!  Someone looking at comparable boats would take yours with a 4 year newer trailer over the other guys!  Boatmate's are only sold through dealers.  I'd contact them 865-273-1100 to see who is your closest dealer, and work with them.

Edited by REHinH20
spelling
12 hours ago, drewski300 said:

Did you order the trailer or did it just come with it. I did use BoatMate's online trailer builder and submitted a request for more info yesterday. I'm hoping to get a response back. I'm probably just getting hung up on buying a new 10k trailer for 4 year old boat. But if we need a trailer and cannot find a used trailer, this is our only option.

Our dealer ordered the trailer for an incoming 25 LSV trade that wasn’t ready to be picked up yet and just happened to have it available to sell with our 24 MXZ. 

Messaged Tommy's, thanks!

Boatmate is running ballpark at $8500 for new. It was $7800 6 months ago but material increases are driving prices at least 10% more. It's certainly a less expensive option than Malibu but not considerably cheaper. I think at a $1500 difference we would just stick with Malibu because we stick with our dealer. Now if I found something in the 5K range, that's a different story!

16 hours ago, mxmark4 said:

Heres one for you 

https://knoxville.craigslist.org/trb/d/cartersville-boat-trailer-inboard-ski/7443054469.html

Brand new 6995 dual axle load rite aluminum trailer 

It's capacity lists 5100 pounds. The boat dry is 5500. It also mentions up to 22'. I need a 24'.

I've come to the realization that nobody has used trailers so we just decided to order a new one. It would be like finding a needle in a haystack. Thanks for finding that however!

31 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

what did you order?

A Malibu trailer. Boatmate was around $8500+ and the Malibu trailer was listed at $9000 so it was easier just purchasing through one dealer. 

• 3 months later...