Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Yukon duramax max tow package

ThinBuLine

Just curious what the differences are with the max tow package and regular with the 3.0L duramax. Dealer is saying additional oil and trans cooler as well as trailer brake controller and 4 low gear range option rather than just 4 high. (Weird to me)

wondering if this is the case as max towing is on 100% constraint and wondering if it’s worth waiting for. 

I’m really surprised gm isn’t looking to bring back the suburban 3500 using one of the 6.6l diesel options with the number of boats and recreational trailers sold in the last two years. Their original intention was for armored vehicles, so very little towing but the ability to take on over 4K of weight in the cab. I think they would make solid bank doing a 2500 or 3500 version. They are missing a huge market. Nick at dura max specialties is 16 months or more out on new builds. 

The fine print here is pretty important....you can't order this truck in a 4x4 model.... and not being able to get a Crew Cab will be an issue or some.

That could pose a serious problem on a boat ramp with a bigger Malibu Boat

"You likely can’t have the new 13,300-pound towing capacity in a 4x4 Duramax/Silverado. Instead you’ll probably have to order yours in two-wheel drive form. More specifically, in 2wd double cab, standard bed form. Two-wheel drive, crew cab, short bed models equipped with the max tow package are believed to be rated to tow slightly less, with standard bed length versions towing a tad less than that"

48 minutes ago, Murphy8166 said:

The fine print here is pretty important....you can't order this truck in a 4x4 model.... and not being able to get a Crew Cab will be an issue or some.

That could pose a serious problem on a boat ramp with a bigger Malibu Boat

"You likely can’t have the new 13,300-pound towing capacity in a 4x4 Duramax/Silverado. Instead you’ll probably have to order yours in two-wheel drive form. More specifically, in 2wd double cab, standard bed form. Two-wheel drive, crew cab, short bed models equipped with the max tow package are believed to be rated to tow slightly less, with standard bed length versions towing a tad less than that"

Not that I'm in the market, but I would have thought a 4wd version would have more tow capacity than a 2wd.

Steve B.

1 hour ago, Steve B. said:

Not that I'm in the market, but I would have thought a 4wd version would have more tow capacity than a 2wd.

Steve B.

It is the extra weight of the 4x4 components IIRC.  capacity-weight=towing capacity.  If the vehicle weighs more, the towing capacity goes down.  

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

Steve B.

Towing limit with heavy boats and 1/2 & 3/4 ton pickups frequently is limited by truck payload.  If your truck has a 1,600 pound payload a 10k boat at 10% young weight would have 1,000 pounds on the hitch.  So now your truck would be limited to 600 pounds of gear and passengers.  Typically the highest tow rating for a truck is 2wd short bed base trim, add any options to that the truck weights more and the payload drops.  There are other factors but that is a starting point.  Oh and just for laughs they figure a 150 pound driver in the standard calculations, and no passenger.