Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is 4wd a must have option

ThinBuLine

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Traditionally the purse is for those incapable of driving a 2wd ;)

Don’t tell my wife that…. She will drive our jeep over any obstacles to get to find you. 😆 I would put her 4x4 capabilities up against anyone. 

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Traditionally the purse is for those incapable of driving a 2wd ;)

So what color was your purse ?, as I recall you had a 2wd dodge not too long ago. Personally I don’t care how well u drive a 2wd truck, GTF out of my 4wd way. I’ve got places to be.

00A7762C-8C7D-458F-8C10-AF5B2BC4ADA0.jpeg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I couldn’t even imagine owning a 2wd truck or suv. I guess it really comes down to how you use it and winter driving. 
My only concern would be on the launch ramp with such a light weight tow vehicle only having 2wd. A wet ramp and you’ll be wishing you had 4x4. 

• Like 4

Our ramp is on the steeper side and as soon as water temps rise to a point where stuff starts growing the ramp gets slick and we need 4WD to get the boat out.  We could definitely do it with 2wd but there would be more tire spinning then I am comfortable with.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, vanamp said:

Our ramp is on the steeper side and as soon as water temps rise to a point where stuff starts growing the ramp gets slick and we need 4WD to get the boat out.  We could definitely do it with 2wd but there would be more tire spinning then I am comfortable with.

4WD is for boats and ramps….

2WD is for droptop sports cars….

Life is way more fun that way!

My impression is that the big truck companies sell 2wd for their basic models only.   I Personally can’t imagine ever not having 4wd for a truck/SUV. That said if using in winter weather below freezing proper tires are just as important.  I once had an x5 I bought it LA but when we moved to the NW and had the first snow we couldn’t even get it out of the driveway with the summer tires it came with.  Now all my cars have summers and winter sets.  Truck usually go with  all seasons. 

We have had one 2wd Tahoe and one 2wd pickup. Wife said she will never have a 2wd suv again and unless I am building another hot rod, I wouldn't opt for a 2wd pickup either.

Rough crowd.

My 2004 tahoe was 2wd and I have to say I was very pleased with how it performed. I live in TX but frequently traveled in snow/ice storms in CO, IA, MN and SD. Many of those trips were overnight with little or no plowing/road cleaning. Had zero issues maintaining control thru deep powder with the normal M/S tires. 

Also launched/loaded all my boats with this tahoe and never once got stuck on the ramp. <Yes, I was probably way over weight>

That said, my other vehicles have 4wd and honestly, they need it. I think once you start getting into these wide/low profile tires, 4wd is probably a requirement. 

@G SpotGreat point on tires.   4WD is awesome, but my old 5.0 Mustang with new tires went a lot of places in the snow where others were stuck.    That said, I also got stuck on wet hills with my 2WD (non posi-track) F150.    I also had to carefully plan routes in that Mustang, make sure I wasn't having to stop completely on a hill, etc.    With 4WD I just go.  

For resale alone, it would be tough to not check the box these days.  And in the 1 or 2 instances a year I use 4WD now, it is worth it.  

32 minutes ago, G Spot said:

I think once you start getting into these wide/low profile tires, 4wd is probably a requirement. 

I think that this is a key point.  There are a lot of "trucks" that have rice burner tires on them at the launch, or just as bad - mud tires.  Proper AT (or even winter specific) tires are important for being able to drive/tow in slippery circumstances.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, G Spot said:

Rough crowd.

My 2004 tahoe was 2wd and I have to say I was very pleased with how it performed. I live in TX but frequently traveled in snow/ice storms in CO, IA, MN and SD. Many of those trips were overnight with little or no plowing/road cleaning. Had zero issues maintaining control thru deep powder with the normal M/S tires. 

Also launched/loaded all my boats with this tahoe and never once got stuck on the ramp. <Yes, I was probably way over weight>

That said, my other vehicles have 4wd and honestly, they need it. I think once you start getting into these wide/low profile tires, 4wd is probably a requirement. 

You hit the nail on the head with the low pro tires.  My 2016 Yukon had the 22" wheels.  Backed my jet ski in the water in two wheel drive on our ramp that hardly has any slope at all.  Tried to pull out and the wheels just kept spinning in the gravel/sand in the lake.  Had to shift it into 4 wheel drive to get out. 

Given I've had issues spinning tires on flat level ground with wet grass, I'm going to throw my 0.02 saying that 2wd trucks are an absolute waste of time and a source of lower resale value.

Kinda no brainer to me living in MN - I don't even buy cars anymore that aren't AWD.  For boat ramps though....  probably not essential in my book but if you travel to lakes, there will eventually be that one slippery ramp that will give you issues with 2WD and then you will wish you had 4WD while everyone and their brother is waiting on you to figure out how to get your boat pulled out. :)

Edited by lake4life
On 1/24/2022 at 9:25 AM, hethj7 said:

@G SpotGreat point on tires.   4WD is awesome, but my old 5.0 Mustang with new tires went a lot of places in the snow where others were stuck.    That said, I also got stuck on wet hills with my 2WD (non posi-track) F150.    I also had to carefully plan routes in that Mustang, make sure I wasn't having to stop completely on a hill, etc.    

I had an 84 corolla ae86 coupe (rwd / 87hp!) on tall skinny all seasons that got me to a lot of ski resorts in college on snowy days.  I still remember one trip up to sugarbowl where I had three other buddies in the car and I was POSITIVE we were going to get stuck on a short climb to the resort from the interstate.  Thankfully I was able to pace traffic such that we always had a little forward momentum (like even a half a mile an hour), and used the lightest touch on the gas to prevent wheelspin.  I'm sure it helped having passengers in the back seat too.  We made it, and that day is definitely in my top 10 all time best pow days.  I remember throwing a huge daffy on a pair of toothpick 203s.

19 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

I had an 84 corolla ae86 coupe (rwd / 87hp!) on tall skinny all seasons that got me to a lot of ski resorts in college on snowy days.  I still remember one trip up to sugarbowl where I had three other buddies in the car and I was POSITIVE we were going to get stuck on a short climb to the resort from the interstate.  Thankfully I was able to pace traffic such that we always had a little forward momentum (like even a half a mile an hour), and used the lightest touch on the gas to prevent wheelspin.  I'm sure it helped having passengers in the back seat too.  We made it, and that day is definitely in my top 10 all time best pow days.  I remember throwing a huge daffy on a pair of toothpick 203s.

Pizza cutters on FWD work great in snow. 

45 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Pizza cutters on FWD work great in snow. 

Im intrigued.... I either am not getting the reference to something or you have a very different pizza cutter than me. :dontknow::)

National Pepperoni Pizza Day GIF by The Pizza Show

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Tall skinny tires

LOL Ah, gotcha - was sitting here trying to think about something that you shove under the tires when you are stuck.

@oldjeep, make sure you watch the old jeeps at 3:15.  You'll have some business to do when you visit south Florida.

It isn't clear to me why you need to soak two people per jeep when you really only need to soak one.  Misery loves company, I guess.

12 minutes ago, justgary said:

@oldjeep, make sure you watch the old jeeps at 3:15.  You'll have some business to do when you visit south Florida.

It isn't clear to me why you need to soak two people per jeep when you really only need to soak one.  Misery loves company, I guess.

Looks fun.  Never managed to be down there at the same time as the buggy races, even though my folks had a house down in Naples for years.  Not sure about misery, the whole family used to like to get covered in mud when we were still doing that sort of thing in the Willys

050600rightside.jpg

C15_Img.jpg

Edited by oldjeep