Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is 4wd a must have option

ThinBuLine

Looking at getting a new Yukon. To get 4wd and stay in budget I have to lose leather and a few other creature comforts. Going with the baby duramax.

my question is, how essential is 4wd? I have my truck if we go to the snow etc but if we take the boat to the lake and have kids friends, we will take the new rig for the third row. Will I miss not having 4wd? 

IMHO 4wd is not essential. Especially if you keep the Yukon in Cali or a place that doesn't need 4x4 due to winter weather. I would think 4x4 doesn't fetch much more on the used car market in your area compared to 2x4. That said, some steep ramps require 4x4 to get our boat out. I would hate to be in a spot that needs it, and know I passed to save a little coin. What's the cost savings? 4-5k? You can't take money with you... I'd increase the budget and not have a second thought.

Will be interested to hear your review of the baby duramax. 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

you keep the Yukon in Cali or a place that doesn't need 4x4 due to winter weather.

In my experience. Most people in rural CA (most of the state). No 4wd would be a major deal breaker for resale. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good call. I’m with @Sparky450… you lose 75% of your resale market with 2wd. Answer might be different in the south but living near highways that can make you chain up in slush or cruise on through with 4wd, 4wd is an easy choice. 

Just now, shawndoggy said:

Good call. I’m with @Sparky450… you lose 75% of your resale market with 2wd. Answer might be different in the south but living near highways that can make you chain up in slush or cruise on through with 4wd, 4wd is an easy choice. 

Just flip the switch and keep going😎😎

Just now, Sparky450 said:

Just flip the switch and keep going😎😎

Haha now on the other hand, driving back up to reno from Orange County right before New Years I got to see both extremes. It snowed really low on 12/30, and there was slush on the road from south of lone pine all the way to Bishop. It was the kind of conditions where 50 mph is reasonable with good spacing between cars. On the one hand there were the people in chained up altimas and rwd suburbans going 20, and on the other hand were the folks in cayennes trying to go 80 and tailgating me hard enough as I creeped by semis that I couldn’t see their headlights. 2 rolled cayennes between lone pine and independence. 

(4wd only helps you go, not steer or stop!). 

3 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Haha now on the other hand, driving back up to reno from Orange County right before New Years I got to see both extremes. It snowed really low on 12/30, and there was slush on the road from south of lone pine all the way to Bishop. It was the kind of conditions where 50 mph is reasonable with good spacing between cars. On the one hand there were the people in chained up altimas and rwd suburbans going 20, and on the other hand were the folks in cayennes trying to go 80 and tailgating me hard enough as I creeped by semis that I couldn’t see their headlights. 2 rolled cayennes between lone pine and independence. 

(4wd only helps you go, not steer or stop!). 

Now you sound like a someone pulling an A24 with a HD truck😂😂😂

We had a 2WD Sequoia and a Tundra in Texas many moons ago (both bought around the same time) because people convinced us we didn't "need" 4-wheel drive in warm flat Texas.  I still consider those two of the worst car-related decisions I have ever made (the not getting the 4x4 versions part, the vehicles were great otherwise).  We did end up needing 4 wheel drive on occasion but were sh*t out of luck.  And when we moved back to WA no one wanted to touch the Sequoia without 4 wheel drive.  Like, no one.  Never again on a truck or SUV.    

If I was buying a truck, yes on the 4WD. Not for snow, but for possible issues at the ramp. The other nice feature I like goes back to towing my buddies huge deck boat with his 4WD urban suburban. We could just put it in 4 wheel low and literally idle up and out of the ramp.

Steve B.

My current Ram is the first 4wd pickup I have ever owned, and I live in MN.  If you don't need it and can get a good deal on a 2wd then I would go for it.  The whole resale argument is always odd, the 2WD tends to cost significantly less - so the resale is less.  If you run them into the ground like I do then there isn't really any resale difference in a 200k mile truck ;)

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

My current Ram is the first 4wd pickup I have ever owned, and I live in MN.  If you don't need it and can get a good deal on a 2wd then I would go for it.  The whole resale argument is always odd, the 2WD tends to cost significantly less - so the resale is less.  If you run them into the ground like I do then there isn't really any resale difference in a 200k mile truck ;)

Where we're at, if you have 4wd you can drive through a chain control check point (assuming proper tires), but you MUST chain up with 2wd.  You frequently MUST chain up even though the road is only wet at the check point and only slushy 15 miles ahead for a couple of miles.  You MUST chain up even though a reasonable person with a couple of brain cells to rub together could proceed with 2wd.  So there's a substantial convenience factor to 4wd.  

• Like 3
Just now, shawndoggy said:

Where we're at, if you have 4wd you can drive through a chain control check point (assuming proper tires), but you MUST chain up with 2wd.  You frequently MUST chain up even though the road is only wet at the check point and only slushy 15 miles ahead for a couple of miles.  You MUST chain up even though a reasonable person with a couple of brain cells to rub together could proceed with 2wd.  So there's a substantial convenience factor to 4wd.  

Yeah - there is no such thing as chains where I live. 

• Like 2

Bought a 2 WD Sequoia in 2003, still running great but it is a family joke that is can (and has) gotten stuck in the driveway.  My son backed too far into a parking place, went over the rock border and it could not get itself back over.  Then there was the time on wet grass....

Put me in the did not get it because did not think we needed it but will never make that mistake again group.  From time to time the low gearing (steep ramp is a prime example) or extra drive wheels are super handy.  If you don't have it then you are looking at an expensive vehicle that is almost what you need at the time.

1 minute ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Bought a 2 WD Sequoia in 2003, still running great but it is a family joke that is can (and has) gotten stuck in the driveway.  My son backed too far into a parking place, went over the rock border and it could not get itself back over.  Then there was the time on wet grass....

Put me in the did not get it because did not think we needed it but will never make that mistake again group.  From time to time the low gearing (steep ramp is a prime example) or extra drive wheels are super handy.  If you don't have it then you are looking at an expensive vehicle that is almost what you need at the time.

Out of curiosity, what kind of tires are on it?  A Sequoia is a heavy beast, pretty similar to my dad's gx460 which although it has 4wd it doesn't get used.

I've found that the weight distribution in the SUVs seem to help the 2wd versions go in places that I wouldn't think about taking 2wd pickup.  But a lot depends on the conditions of your favorite ramp.  How steep and slippery is your usual spot?  I always get a chuckle when people think that 4WD is the bulletproof.  Years ago I was backing down a slippery one and slid a bit.  There was a little kid sitting beside the ramp and I could hear her yell "put it in 4WD".  Still get a laugh out of it.    

Been towing boats with my 4X4 Nissan Titan since new 18 years ago. Load and unload at ramps minimum of 20 times a year. Have never needed it to get in or out of ramp. That being said, I would not own one myself without 4X4 as I sometimes put myself in situations where I may need it and do use it for winter driving. If it weren't available by the flick of a switch, I would not put my self in the situation. Just saying, depending on your ramps, it can be done. If you do get in a pinch, chances are there will be another truck near by to help.

Now to add to my comments, I do have a friend with a 2wd Titan that often struggles on the same ramps. He is towing a lighter Axis. Often wondered if it was tires alone or lighter weight of truck due to less running gear. He does not have the option to flick a switch and help himself out!

Edited by dalt1

I will echo what @dalt1 has said. I could mostly do without it, but 1 of the 2 ramps that I use is infested with little in-bread hillbillies that like to throw rocks and gravel on to the ramp. Getting up it is not so much of a problem in 2wd. Going down in 2wd can be a nail biter when you are getting drug down the ramp by the boat on those marbles! Even in good conditions it goes in 4wd on that ramp.

25 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Out of curiosity, what kind of tires are on it?  A Sequoia is a heavy beast, pretty similar to my dad's gx460 which although it has 4wd it doesn't get used.

Michelin truck tire of some variety usually but not the same for all the years.  Not off road enough to get an AT tire.  My son has a Tacoma and he loves sticking it in low and pulling our other boat out, very graceful crawl even though the rig is only about 3,400 lb.

My wife has a late model Lexus GX 460 (which is a fave of mine for that class of transport) and it has AWD, you can pick low and/or locked transfer case but there is no 2WD option in the model she has.  

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

You are probably right.  He had a gx470 first and now has a 460.  The 460 does look to be awd

Lots of options on builds these days.  Never know.  Truthfully I am forbidden to bring it back with mud even in the hidden cracks so other than knowing it moves well in the snow I have no proof of its 4wd credentials.  :-) 

My son's Tacoma is a manual with locking everything.  When he was in HS he was the go to guy for his friends that got stuck.  First couple of times he went out I went with him to share some experience.  Pretty amazing what that little truck would do.  

9 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

Lots of options on builds these days.  Never know.  

Not in the Gx. 4x4 is the only option. It’s really awd with the option of true four wheel drive. But no 2 wheel drive.

Back in the Day My dad owned a 1962 International Harvester Scout 4X4. Some great Father Son memories in this.   I learned at a young age the advantages of 4X4.

Since then all  But one of my trucks have been 4X4,  even the K2500 Suburban (Malibu tow Vehicle ) and if you count my wife's Subaru Outback All wheel drive then yes I like having the option.

As long as I own a Boat the tow vehicle will have 4X4.                "I would rather be looking at it than looking for it"