Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you tow with this

RCorsa

So a few years ago I posted about towing with my M235 with my Ford Raptor and got a lot of negative feedback.  Totally learned about this topic and when I sold my M235 for an incoming M240 it was clear I needed to get rid of the truck.  I sold it in December in the hopes of ordering a new truck but Ford is really messed up on orders.  I had a broker start looking for me and then I came across this.  Crazy $ but man it looks fun and with 6.7 power stroke I can easily tow my 10K M240/trailer.  Thoughts….

• Like 1

Oh yes.  The bling of an M240 requires it. Towing a jet ski with an F250 would be just as dumb looking as towing an M240 with a Ranger.

Edited by Bozboat
  • Like 2

I have a 2021 F250 diesel with a Carli kit and 37" tires and...well...even for me that truck is a little too much. I feel like people would think I'm going through a mid-life crisis. :-)

It's just one step too far towards the 'look at me I baja my truck' crowd.

It’s so outrageous I actually think it’s kind of awesome.  At first I thought it was a joke which makes me want to get it as a goof but spending 150k on a tow rig I tow 50 miles a year and take to the dump or pick up furniture for my wife might actually lead to divorce. Lol. That said this is like a raptor that can tow 15,000 without blinking an eye. I have to wonder about the suspension however? 

If I were contemplating dropping $150K on a truck, it would be some sort of custom conversion likely.   Wildly unique, but not over the top "look at me".   6 door conversion or something along those lines.   

If you are really just towing 50 miles a year, I think it would be equally cool and unique to buy an old school beater for those trips.  That would be cool to see a 454 Burb or similar towing a new M.  Then again, the towing capacities of most of the older 1 ton type vehicles are probably at or below modern 1/2 tons I would guess.   

Interestingly all the reviews say this truck drives, rides, sounds and tows as good if not better than a stock F250.  I agree with the lift I can’t imagine if would sag a bit but I guess not?  Likely have to get a 6-8 inch drop hitch and there are a few out there rated at over 20,000.   I guess Ill find out shortly as I placed my deposit today for a truck that landed yesterday and the best part is I got for MSRP from a midwestern dealer that only sells at MSRP of 128K.  Considering the other local dealers all wanted 10K over sticker for a standard F250 platinum it’s not a bad deal.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Interestingly all the reviews say this truck drives, rides, sounds and tows as good if not better than a stock F250.  I agree with the lift I can’t imagine if would sag a bit but I guess not?  

Stock 250 still has a fairly stiff rear spring, my guess is with all that suspension work it would be strange if they didn’t swap out the stock rear springs for a softer progressive leaf pack for better ”Baja” performance , with a softer spring for better ride/off-road performance you do sacrifice load capacity and that truck will sag with a 240, 25lsv , and even a 23.

my 2011 f350 with factory rear spring sagged a little with my 25lsv.

For my 22 -f350 -as soon and Carli gets my kit shipped out( ordered back in sept) I opted for the progressive spring pack (decreases factory capacity by 15%, but added back airbags to supplement any sag .

Hi @Stevo that’s what I would have thought as well.  At least per the factory, there is “no decrease in the towing capacity with the Baja”. I did notice that all the 2022 truck are fit with the “Max Tow package” which is around a $2400 dollar option from Ford on the truck itself.  I think I found only a handful of  Standard F250 on the with this package so Im not exactly sure what it adds, but its clear that is mandatory for the Shelby.  

That said,if there is Sag do you think it would be possible to add these air bags to the Shelby set up?  Also what are you doing lift wise with your Carli and what kind of drop will you need to tow the 25 LSV 

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_SuperDuty_PU_Dec3.pdf

@RCorsa
I don’t recall all the specifics tied to Max tow package but Mine is a 350 quad cab long bed, Long bed 350 gives you 48gal tank, 3inch receiver , 3.55 gears and a heavier duty axle don’t recall which one tho.

Adding airbags is simple, especially if you are just doing a manual fill. If you are adding onboard air it’s a little more complex but really nice to push a button and inflate/ deflate.

my Carli order is the 4.5/5.5 pintop with every box checked ,control arms, torsion sway bar, rear progressive leaf pack, steering stabilizers, long travel airbags, running 38/13.5/20’s

I have the b&w 5inch drop hitch and I believe that will be plenty of hitch drop.

on my 2011 it was leveled on 35’s and I actually had a 2 inch drop hitch (flipped so 2inch rise) 

1st pic is 2011 f350 with 2014 23lsv

2nd pic 2011 f350 with 2017 25lsv (couldn’t find a level parking pic

3rd 2022 f350 stock with 2017 25lsv

9EFA8C35-5580-414F-AC32-76BA97871213.png

AF2CF4D9-910B-43DC-AA93-8776C7417713.png

9B1750E5-FCA5-4771-A002-6519C740F5FE.png

Edited by Stevo

I'm not a Ford or an offroad guy, but must admit that is gonna look pretty sick rolling down that road with the boat in tow.  1050 lbs/ft. of torque and the 10 speed will be a nice little bonus.  :).  Congrats!  

Edited by jjackkrash

@StevoThanks for the info and your set up looks great - I know some have said towing with a lifted truck would look odd.  Im also glad you can do the 5 inch drop which means I'm probably looking at the same or maybe 6 which is easy to find.  Be sure to post photos once your mods are done.  I did find the ford explanation although it remains somewhat vague.  Max tow "increase GCW of the diesel from 23500 to 30000" and "upgraded rear axle" what ever that mean 

10 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

I'm not a Ford or an offroad guy, but must admit that is gonna look pretty sick rolling down that road with the boat in tow.  1050 lbs/ft. of torque and the 10 speed will be a nice little bonus.  :).  Congrats!  

The power of the newer Superduty trucks is just something to experience.  I don't mean to start a 150/250 debate, just saying I have had all of them over the years and the current F250 is a beast.  It is very large around town, but it shows its legs on the highway and towing (anything)  went from "work" to "fun"

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

The power of the newer Superduty trucks is just something to experience.  I don't mean to start a 150/250 debate, just saying I have had all of them over the years and the current F250 is a beast.  It is very large around town, but it shows its legs on the highway and towing (anything)  went from "work" to "fun"

Ya, it really is hard to appreciate until you drive one towing heavy.  My fiver is pretty close to 14' tall and 20k pounds and I can hold 70 mph going over our passes with my 2020 GMC.   I also have a 14k flatbed and dump trailer and I have to remind myself how heavy I am sometimes and to slow down.  The new trucks are just a treat to tow with.  

• Like 2

That is so true. You don’t realize how much power the new diesels have until you’re towing heavy up a mountain pass and passing cars uphill with ease. The new superduties also drive very nice for a daily. I have an f150 and when I drive my friends f250 I don’t feel out of place at all, granted my truck is leveled on 35s so that’s not helping my ride. 

On 1/16/2022 at 8:40 AM, RCorsa said:

Hi @Stevo that’s what I would have thought as well.  At least per the factory, there is “no decrease in the towing capacity with the Baja”. I did notice that all the 2022 truck are fit with the “Max Tow package” which is around a $2400 dollar option from Ford on the truck itself.  I think I found only a handful of  Standard F250 on the with this package so Im not exactly sure what it adds, but its clear that is mandatory for the Shelby.  

That said,if there is Sag do you think it would be possible to add these air bags to the Shelby set up?  Also what are you doing lift wise with your Carli and what kind of drop will you need to tow the 25 LSV 

@RCorsa That rig is sic! What color do you have on order?

Before I bought my Ram I had a deposit on an F-250 with the Ford factory high capacity tow package. The package adds a 5 leaf spring pack vs. the standard 3 leaf spring pack and an "upgraded" rear axle. It also bumps the GVWR to 10800lbs, an 800lb increase over the standard GVWR and includes a 3" receiver vs. the standard 2 1/2".

2 hours ago, Steve B. said:

The big trucks sound so nice. Does the braking power increase accordingly. Would be nice if braking was well over-engineered to stop a mountain easily.

Exhaust brake is one of the best features on diesels. Helps a ton when towing heavy in the mountains. 

• Like 2
On 1/17/2022 at 8:40 PM, Pnwrider said:

Exhaust brake is one of the best features on diesels. Helps a ton when towing heavy in the mountains. 

Back in the day when I was off roading, that was the first mod that most of the Cummins guys in the club did on their tow rigs. 

On 1/17/2022 at 8:45 PM, RCorsa said:

I bought the red one just like the video.  Getting docs tomorrow and truck will ship this week so I should have it by this time next week pending weather 

We need some pics of that rig hooked up ASAP!  Congrats - that's one killer truck.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...