Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tires

Jwamsley

I’m not even sure if they’re 14 or 15’s? It’s got mismatch tires on it so I’m going to buy new wheels and tires. Just wondering what type of tires. I’m guessing I’ll put the same size wheels that it has on it.

3 minutes ago, Jwamsley said:

I’m not even sure if they’re 14 or 15’s? It’s got mismatch tires on it so I’m going to buy new wheels and tires. Just wondering what type of tires. I’m guessing I’ll put the same size wheels that it has on it.

If you look at the side of the tire, it'll tell you everything you need to know.  Just make sure that you pick an appropriate load rating - not neccessarily what it came with

Edited by oldjeep
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

If you look at the side of the tire, it'll tell you everything you need to know.  Just make sure that you pick an appropriate load rating - not neccessarily what it came with

Do you happen to know what size a 23’ boat trailer should have in case they don’t have the right ones on there and what load rating?

10 minutes ago, Jwamsley said:

Do you happen to know what size a 23’ boat trailer should have in case they don’t have the right ones on there and what load rating?

From the factory it likely came with D rated tires and should really have E rated tires.  In general the factory supplies tires that are on the hairy edge of the load weight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

image.png.2393817d4e1e0740a498f030dfd3ed05.pngD rated on newer boats but used to be C rated on my 12 VLX. This is what came on my 2018 LSV but only lasted 3 years. Now riding on Endurance and hope they hold up better.

My vtx came with c rated.  Was right on the edge, switched to d rated.  I would hope a 23 ft didn't come with c rated tires - ever.

Endurance all the way.  Had them on my last boat trailer.  Excellent tires

On my new trailer…..  once they reach miles or age they will be replaced with Endurance.

If you: (1) are switching tires and wheels; (2) can find tires and wheels that fit your trailer with Load Range E tires; and (3) don't enjoy blowouts, get Load Range E and keep them fully inflated.  

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

Had E tires on my skidsteer trlr..after a blow out..replaced with G series. They are 110psi "regroovable". would never regroove that but at least I have abetter chance if I pick  pick up a nail.

My dump trailer is constantly picking up nails. The next set I put on will be G Series. One of the contractors I work for said that putting the g rated on stopped the nail problem. 

• Like 2

Adding another opinion here.  Goodyear endurance are great, but more than anything, regular replacement is key to happy trailer life.

Even with a good tire, they break down over time and exposure, without showing real tread wear.

I've adopted a 5 yr replacement plan, 6 being the max.  Replace your trailer tires every 5 yrs, and you'll be golden.  Even if you don't get the top brand tire.

Everyone's discussion of load rating above is definitely valid.  

• Like 2

Yeah, or they aired down a tire that had no beadlocks too far to get out of the mud and it de-beaded.  Rear wheel that is already missing tire shows that those wheels have no place on a military vehicle.

Edited by oldjeep
On 3/2/2022 at 10:13 AM, dhcomp said:

Adding another opinion here.  Goodyear endurance are great, but more than anything, regular replacement is key to happy trailer life.

Even with a good tire, they break down over time and exposure, without showing real tread wear.

I've adopted a 5 yr replacement plan, 6 being the max.  Replace your trailer tires every 5 yrs, and you'll be golden.  Even if you don't get the top brand tire.

Everyone's discussion of load rating above is definitely valid.  

I agree with you on the regular replacement, but I also know that all tires are not created equal.  I swapped to GY Endurance when they first came out, and there was a significant improvement in the way that my boat handled behind my SUV.  In addition, the 87 MPH speed rating is nice for long hauls.  I never run 65.

My 2008 247 came with ST Radial trailer tires from the factory.  Damn things only lasted until 2020.  :-) But when it decided to blow, it blew up in a somewhat nice way...no fender damage...and less than 10 miles from a Goodyear tire store.  Karma. 

image.thumb.png.f843a34c309624bbc77334a6f27fa8e5.png

I replaced with Goodyear Endurance trailer tires and so far I am very pleased.  Over 1,000 trailer miles so far on them.  I went from 205/75 to a 215/75 on the switch...mainly because that is what they had in stock.  They fit the stock wheels and actually fill fenders up a bit better (about 1/2" taller in 215 vs 205 size).  Plus the slightly wider tire gives me about 200 lbs more max load per tire for added margin of capacity.

image.png.7acf9e9d9c75a62fd06dc5afe269582f.png

You can't go wrong with Goodyear...and I think they have a $100 rebate when you buy 4 right now.  Good luck!

-- Mike

53 minutes ago, Rack said:

You went 12 years on a set of trailer tires?    

Probably way more common then you think. Most 10 year old rv’s are likely running original tires. Just not something people think of, generally people think tread depth and that’s all that matters. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2022 at 8:17 PM, dalt1 said:

image.png.2393817d4e1e0740a498f030dfd3ed05.pngD rated on newer boats but used to be C rated on my 12 VLX. This is what came on my 2018 LSV but only lasted 3 years. Now riding on Endurance and hope they hold up better.

I've got this exact setup on my 23LSV trailer, wheels too. I don't use the trailer much now but will be towing to FL later this summer and the trailer kings are going in the garbage prior to that trip. I was kind of surprised when I looked up the load rating on them and what the boat on the trailer weighs...

1 minute ago, jcon44 said:

I've got this exact setup on my 23LSV trailer, wheels too. I don't use the trailer much now but will be towing to FL later this summer and the trailer kings are going in the garbage prior to that trip. I was kind of surprised when I looked up the load rating on them and what the boat on the trailer weighs...

Unfortunately it seems like the stock tires on trailers are always a load range lower than they really should be.