Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding spare tire carrier...

gvb

2007 VLX w/ stock Extreme trailer... doesn't have a spare tire mount.

I really liked the idea of this one because it has a spare hub as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014474DC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was told it would fit and didn't even bother measuring before ordering... the trailer frame is too tall for this thing.

Anyone have another recommendation for something similar?

• Like 1

Re-read my post :)

I already ordered it (based on a recommendation, assuming it would fit, BEFORE I measured anything), and it doesn't fit... the trailer frame is too tall (5" vs. 4").

Yes I know how to swap a hub, which is why I like this mount.. less crap to move in/out of the truck when towing.

My question was, are there any similar alternatives for the taller trailer frame?  No luck finding anything.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, gvb said:

Good idea... anyone have any pics of what the factory setup looks like?

I used the same one you posted. I have a I-beam trailer and just cut the bracket down to fit inside the beam webbing and through bolted it. 

20210721_202740.jpg.f0bec400f3ed3ab4a255

If you have a steal tubing trailer, just drill and tap it. If it's a I-beam just through bolt it. 

Edited by cowwboy
5 hours ago, cowwboy said:

I used the same one you posted. I have a I-beam trailer and just cut the bracket down to fit inside the beam webbing and through bolted it. 

20210721_202740.jpg.f0bec400f3ed3ab4a255

If you have a steal tubing trailer, just drill and tap it. If it's a I-beam just through bolt it. 

Thank you!  Great idea... I'll see if the holes line up and just tap the frame.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:33 PM, Bird said:

I wouldn’t advise drill and tap. The frame tubing is too thin to allow enough thread. You will surprised that it may only be 1/8” 

Thanks... I'll vet whatever I end up doing with a fabricator friend first.  Appreciate all the feedback.

Also be aware, that tire holder looks a lot like the one Fulton sells.  I broke 2 of them at the welds on my Bayliner trailer.  The spare weighed half what the one on the Malibu weighed.  Consider a cable lock as a safety.

38 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Also be aware, that tire holder looks a lot like the one Fulton sells.  I broke 2 of them at the welds on my Bayliner trailer.  The spare weighed half what the one on the Malibu weighed.  Consider a cable lock as a safety.

I'll second that. I had one similar on my 12 VLX and luckily had an issue where I needed my spare about 3 years in and noticed the issues.. Don't think I would have had a spare if it was much longer. All welds were failing. I boxed it and rewelded everything. I would hate to see the damage incurred if it fell off at interstate speeds.