Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop guard too low to street when trailer is level

aggie08

I must stink at searching because I'm sure this has been discussed before.

I recently upgraded to a 2021 MLX, and, when I level out the trailer for towing (based on the small level on the trailer and my own for verification), the prop guard rests only a few inches off the street. I know it's not supposed to have a ton of ground clearance, but I have to back into a driveway with an ever-so-slight incline for storage, and it may as well be like backing into a brick wall. I have to disconnect and lower my hitch to get the back end up in the air high enough to not take a chunk out of the driveway.

Does anyone else have this issue?

How much clearance does the prop have to the top of the guard?  It only needs to clear.  If you have inches, you could cut and raise the guard.  Otherwise, you could lift the trailer on the axles.  This might be as simple as changing your torsion angles if you have adjustable torsion axles.

2 hours ago, justgary said:

How much clearance does the prop have to the top of the guard?  It only needs to clear.  If you have inches, you could cut and raise the guard.  Otherwise, you could lift the trailer on the axles.  This might be as simple as changing your torsion angles if you have adjustable torsion axles.

Unfortunately, can't do the latter. Only have about half an inch of tower clearance to get in the garage.

Edited by aggie08
14 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Does your trailer have steel wheels on the guard frame?

I have an angled drive way and the steel wheels scrape the concrete, so I jump one side up onto a 4x6 to angle the guard high enough to clear

AE30290C-703A-4D76-A97C-D9A643C5599D.jpeg

Yep, I have the wheels as well. Good idea on the block...it's mostly the corner on the inside of the turn that gets the blunt of it.

With a 1/2” of clearance dropping the hitch/tongue is about your only option to get it in storage. I have to let the air out of my rear bags to drop the tongue to get mine in my 8’ door. A lot easier than dropping the hitch fortunately. I typically leave mine out and boat cover it Fri-Sun so it is normally only a one time process as well.

Yeah, a common & frustrating problem. Wonder if you could mod the prop guard to hinge so you could flip it up when needed, provided you are careful of actual prop clearance. Kinda sounds like unplugging a car idiot light but might be an easy fix for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Have you tried  Etrailer.com?  "trailer skid wheels" 

Also go to Teamtalk.Mastercraft.com and type in Skid wheels.

Plenty of photos of the different ways people have solved this issue'