Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 Sunsetter LXi boat cover question

BAXMAN

Crew,

I need your help with regards to the boat cover for our '00 Sunsetter LXi (with no tower). We recently bought a Sunbrella cover through Overton's. I tried to order it online, but their site only gave a generic part number. So I called them and spoke to a customer service rep. I stressed to them that I needed the cover for a "2000 Malibu Sunsetter LXi -- and NOT just a Sunsetter". With their assistance, I placed the order (which is placed with Overtons, but ships directly from Westland Industries). There was an issue with the color (Linen) I wanted, so I put in the notes for them to contact me directly regarding the order. I received a call from another customer service rep, and again stressed the fact that the cover was for a "2000 Malibu Sunsetter LXi, and NOT a Sunsetter". The color issue was clarified/resolved and the order proceeded. The cover arrived some 3 weeks later, and to my surprise, the box said the cover was for a "95-03 Malibu Sunsetter/Wakesetter VLX/Sunscape 21". Prior to opening the box, I called and spoke to yet another customer service rep and explained my concern that the cover was not the correct one for my SSLXi (vs. SS) application. The rep said that the part number was correct for my boat. So this afternoon, we tried to put the cover on. To me, it appears to be a bit too short. Does anyone know if my cover is the correct one? Does it fit all of the boats noted, or should I have a different cover? I've searched online, and only seem to see one cover noted. I have also searched TheMalibuCrew archives for info, but haven't found anything related to this matter. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Some facts:

We are totally new to boating

Sunsetter LXi is 21'8"

Sunsetter is 21'0"

Overtons/Westland part number is ML4732ALIN

Material is Sunbrella, color is Linen

Our boat has no tower and the platform is removed

Edited by BAXMAN

You're correct, the SLXi uses a different cover than the 95-03 boats mentioned above. I think they did in fact send you the wrong on...sucks given how many times you told them exactly what you needed.

If it doesn't work out, I believe I have the original cover for my 2001 SLXi before I put the Titan on it. I know I still have a cover, not sure if it has the cutouts or not. It shouldn't have much, if any, impact on the usability of the cover. It has only been used a handful of times. It is the standard Malibu mooring cover. Call me at our shop if you are interested. Our link is in my signature.

Edited by JeffK
If it doesn't work out, I believe I have the original cover for my 2001 SLXi before I put the Titan on it. I know I still have a cover, not sure if it has the cutouts or not. It shouldn't have much, if any, impact on the usability of the cover. It has only been used a handful of times. It is the standard Malibu mooring cover. Call me at our shop if you are interested. Our link is in my signature.

I would be interested in that cover. Do you have any idea what you would want for it?

I'm coming up with;

Sunsetter LXi 1999-2003 ML 4719 (covers swim platform)

ML 4732 (does not cover swim platform)

Sunsetter LX 1995- ML 4711 (platform)

ML4720 (no platform)

Looks like you received the correct part#. I would think that if you had a Sunsetter LX cover, there would be no way it would be close to fitting because of the added length of the trunk thats above the waterline but not added into the published length of the boat. Edwin, can you confirm this?

I'm coming up with;

Sunsetter LXi 1999-2003 ML 4719 (covers swim platform)

ML 4732 (does not cover swim platform)

Sunsetter LX 1995- ML 4711 (platform)

ML4720 (no platform)

Looks like you received the correct part#. I would think that if you had a Sunsetter LX cover, there would be no way it would be close to fitting because of the added length of the trunk thats above the waterline but not added into the published length of the boat. Edwin, can you confirm this?

Exactly YJim...the SLXi is 8" longer

Well, it took a few days working with a rep from Overton's, but I finally got word today that I will be taken care of! Overton's spoke with Westland and between the two of them, they determined that the problem is between them. It actually sounds like there might be an issue with the part number relating to my boat (2000 Sunsetter LXi). I'm guessing that somewhere along the line, someone made the error of assuming that a Sunsetter LX was the same as a Sunsetter LXi, and mixed up the part numbers. Anyway, I was told today that they would be paying for the return of the incorrect cover and working to determine the correct part number/boat cover for my application. Once they do that, I'll place a new order for the right cover. I was a little disgruntled with Overton's at first, but very happy to see that they came around and promised to take care of me!

-kenny