Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Insurance Coverage / Payout & ease of claim?

So I am about to take ownership of a new 25LSV and have been overall happy with Skisafe but have not filed a claim with them.  What is everyone's opinion or experience actually collecting on a claim.  I had a nightmare collecting from Geico and Usually go with USAA for cars but curious what others experience has been?

Is Skisafe, Allstate, BoatUS, State Farm, Travelers, etc....  best to deal with and close a claim fairly?  I don't mind paying just a little bit more for excellent coverage that will save me headache in the long run.

I filed a claim with them two years ago after having our windshield shatter on a road trip. Tore up 2 seats, damaged the glove box, the walkway panels and obviously the windshield so not a cheap. The submission was easy and straight forward, and the payout was super quick, within a few days. This year our rate barely went up. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

94MalibuEchelon

I’m the original owner of a 1994 Malibu Echelon and I have made four (4) insurance claims in the 26 years I’ve owned the boat.  I’m with Travelers.

The four insurance claims were all the same type of damage tearing up underwater gear (strut, shaft, prop, tracking fins) by running over submerged logs on the California Delta or hitting submerged rocks on Lake Powell.   Cost of repairs on these 4 incidents ranged from $2000 - $4500 per each incident. 

I have an insurance agent who works with Travelers and is the “go between” when something goes wrong. I probably pay an extra $100 a year more by having a dedicated agent.   I’ve priced out other carriers and talked to neighbors and friends with boats.   I know I’m paying $100 more a year. But the service and timely repairs have been phenomenal. 

Lastly, my boat insurance has run around $300 to $400 in the 26 years I’ve owned the boat. I’ve received just as much in paid out claims as I have paid in claims. 

Edited by 94MalibuEchelon
Clarifying
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I filed a claim with them two years ago after having our windshield shatter on a road trip. Tore up 2 seats, damaged the glove box, the walkway panels and obviously the windshield so not a cheap. The submission was easy and straight forward, and the payout was super quick, within a few days. This year our rate barely went up. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

You are referring to Skisafe?

Another +1 for skisafe.  I had a 2017 T23 that was destroyed in a storage fire in 2018 and they were pretty easy to deal with.  They worked with a dealer to produce out a replacement boat and sent us a check since it was destroyed within 4 years of new.

• Like 2

I have a friend who uses skisafe, as do I, and he was hit on the 4th of July by a jetski traveling about 50 MPH.  It did significant damage to his 2020 Tige 23ZX.  Skisafe has been very good with him on the claim.  Fortunately, I've not had an issue that requires a claim, so I can't offer first hand experience.  I did however have a claim with State Farm a number of years ago on a boat hoist that was damaged in a storm.  The claim process wasn't the best, but I got what I needed to get out of it. 

4 hours ago, Slayer said:

I have a friend who uses skisafe, as do I, and he was hit on the 4th of July by a jetski traveling about 50 MPH.  It did significant damage to his 2020 Tige 23ZX.  Skisafe has been very good with him on the claim.  Fortunately, I've not had an issue that requires a claim, so I can't offer first hand experience.  I did however have a claim with State Farm a number of years ago on a boat hoist that was damaged in a storm.  The claim process wasn't the best, but I got what I needed to get out of it. 

Jetski uninsured?

Have State Farm.  Had a total loss of a 12 year old 23LSV.  They wrote us a check for the full purchase amount (the total value on the insurance policy).  No issues and relatively painless as I remember.

• Like 2

I use State Farm for all my needs.  They have been prompt and generous in paying claims for home and auto issues.  They have covered my boats for 20+ years and I have not had to file with them for boat issues.  I highly recommend them.