Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overweight

Steck

Alliance Wake

Here are some interesting stats on how Gerry's LSV is weighted...Check out the article for pics.

Boat: Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV

Additional weight: over 5,000 lbs. (Gerry also uses the Wedge on occasion) Surprised.gif

Speed: 26 MPH

Rope length: 87’

Edited by Steck

Crazy.

I've boarded twice behind my boat now with the 750's in the rear lockers.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....st&p=143770

I've had them apx. 30% and then 50% full. Full standard ballast and Wedge.

The wake is just too big for me. After the long transition there's this big lip, like a SAN lip, ONTOP of the LSV transition.

Gerry's wake has got to be insane. I've got to start riding my rope longer...

While I'm somewhat surprised how much weight there is in his boat, I'm more surprised that he's using lead plates wrapped in carpet and tire weights???....I would have figured something more clean like pop bags.

The 'tire weights in sealed PVC pipe' is a GREAT idea. It's totally sealed, no need to worry about water getting in or rust getting out.

I may do that myself.

If you look at the cost of pop bags and what something like the PVC and tire weights cost, big difference.

I rode in a clinic with Gerry last May. He had just gotten his new LSV. Stock ballast, wedge and about 8 people in the boat and this dude was still awesome. I actually drove while he was riding. Kinda cool, but you really don't get to see much when he lands everything 20 feet in the flats. Glad we filmed it. Nice guy too.

Crazy.

The wake is just too big for me. After the long transition there's this big lip, like a SAN lip, ONTOP of the LSV transition.

Gerry's wake has got to be insane. I've got to start riding my rope longer...

I'll have to try those out some time ;)

I think the most weight we have had in the boat was 9 people and stock ballast. It was not scary.

Crazy.

Andy - to reduce that SAN lip on your wake, try moving more weight forward. It is sorta- a pain to drive around with that much weight - but if you ever wanted to try it again, throw a sack in the bow to pull it down a bit... see what happens, might shape it up better for you

Crazy.

Andy - to reduce that SAN lip on your wake, try moving more weight forward. It is sorta- a pain to drive around with that much weight - but if you ever wanted to try it again, throw a sack in the bow to pull it down a bit... see what happens, might shape it up better for you

That is why I dont use the wedge since I enjoy the mellow malibu wake.

Crazy.

Agreed.

You have to remember that in addition to all of that weight, he's not only riding farther back than most of us, he's also riding a lot faster (I don't know anyone that rides at 26 mph). I'm not sure that you could even get a clean wake with that much weight at 20-22.

Alliance Wake

Here are some interesting stats on how Gerry's LSV is weighted...Check out the article for pics.

Boat: Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV

Additional weight: over 5,000 lbs. (Gerry also uses the Wedge on occasion) Surprised.gif

Speed: 26 MPH

Rope length: 87’

Somehow it just seems wrong....oh wait wrong sport. Crazy.gif

Andy,

As was stated try some weight in the front. I run 2 750's in the rear lockers, a 550 in the walkway, and another 550 in the middle(depends on how many people i have). The wake is a little more rampy and the lip not as harsh as if you just do weight in the rear. I then use the power wedge to add lip if a rider wants more.

I've pulled Gerry in his boat. The first time he went down and I had to turn around, I thought it was all over. All I saw was water going by my face while in a right turn. It all makes sense when you watch him pop off the wake.

Does he have the 8.1? I would love to add that much weight but we barely get on plane with our 2,800 lbs. and stock prop with the Monsoon!

Yes he does, and it is propped correctly. Had the pleasure of riding with Gerry and Shaun for an afternoon set in early DEC 2006. It still takes a few seconds to get the boat on plane weighted this way...even with ~3,000 lbs ow weight in my boat with the HH, it takes some work.....you can get some significant hole shot improvement by changing your stock prop out. Did the same with ours and it made a huge difference. Plenty of threads on this topic to be found on TMC.

I've pulled Gerry in his boat. The first time he went down and I had to turn around, I thought it was all over. All I saw was water going by my face while in a right turn. It all makes sense when you watch him pop off the wake.

It is funny to read how heavily he weights his boat, and thinkging about how we tell everyone it is all about technique - don't need a big wake... yada yada yada

Not saying it isn't about technique, but it is also about the wake, and making a big wake at fast speeds does help you power way out into the flats at 80+ feet

It is funny to read how heavily he weights his boat, and thinkging about how we tell everyone it is all about technique - don't need a big wake... yada yada yada

Not saying it isn't about technique, but it is also about the wake, and making a big wake at fast speeds does help you power way out into the flats at 80+ feet

there was an article in wake boarding magazine a while back that interviewed all of the heads from the big boat companies(mc and bu included). They said, if it was all about size, people would be out getting rides behind yachts. They say they see the industry going to more of wake shape, and I agree. Adding the stock ballast give the wake more of a peak, and a longer transition. Add the wedge, it gives you a nice lip on the wake.

there was an article in wake boarding magazine a while back that interviewed all of the heads from the big boat companies(mc and bu included). They said, if it was all about size, people would be out getting rides behind yachts. They say they see the industry going to more of wake shape, and I agree. Adding the stock ballast give the wake more of a peak, and a longer transition. Add the wedge, it gives you a nice lip on the wake.

Size w/out good shape is nothing. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that most boats not designed for their wake put out a washed out or soft wake.

Many of those same "heads" also say that everyone is going to have a pickle fork boat in the next 5 years.. Crazy.gif

Size w/out good shape is nothing. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that most boats not designed for their wake put out a washed out or soft wake.

Many of those same "heads" also say that everyone is going to have a pickle fork boat in the next 5 years.. Crazy.gif

Maybe I should apply for their job. My big idea, no pickle fork! more cool stuff, less useless stuff.