Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What prop do I need?

Alexei

On 5/2/2023 at 4:31 PM, ORsurfer said:

I love the level of detail and data this crew can bring to any conversation. It's also crazy how the model/configuration proliferation makes it harder to nail down more specific options with the current boats. Very similar to those above I've got a 21 A22 with M5. We run full everything (but as all note is bow high for surfing, always herding people to the bow) for surfing, hard tanks and light wedge for rare wakeboard set. Mine came equipped with 2773 (15 x 13) which, all threads seem to suggest, is kind of overkill for our boating (all below 3,500 feet, rare wakeboarding). Everyone else here recommending 15x14 or 15x15 and still plenty of power to push the loaded A22, but lower RPM while surfing. @AxisA22er any chance you got to try that new prop in the water and could report back? It seems like the data provided by @PopsA22 would suggest that if that's working for his '19, the M5-equipped boats should have no problem and see much lower RPM - but it's interesting to see ~400 RPM for each 1" of pitch, so going from a 13" on my current prop to 15" on a new one could drop me surfing RPM 800 rpm - that sounds nice....

All these props are 15" diameter.  Pitch is the differing factor.  Watch a Youtube video for good explanation on pitch.  It has to do with rotation and push.  

If you can fit a larger diameter prop on your boat without gel coat burn, do it, a larger diameter will make a huge difference in the water you push.  Your boat will get up and go and you can often go to a higher pitch , if your motor can handle the torque required

• Like 1

That's exactly what ACME told me. I haven't found anyone here running 15.5" on the A22, though, I don't think. Maybe I'm over-reliant on the Crew, but seems like a slightly larger prop would make a big difference in this case. 

On 2/17/2023 at 5:11 PM, TAQ44 said:

I’m also interested in a prop improvement. I have a 2022 A22 with M5 at sea level. Currently running the 2249 prop. What do you all recommend?? Thanks!

I'm running the 2277 on my Malibu 247.  Same diameter as the 2249, but with a higher numerical pitch number so it turns less revs and goes faster than the 2249.  This comes at the expense of low end pull, but for us, it is the perfect prop.  I don't have interest in turning a ton of revs trying to get from one end of the lake to the other, because we boat on a huge lake.  The boat really flies with the 2277, and still has the low end to get the 247 to surf speeds with 6-8 people in the boat and stock-ish ballast (650s rear, 400 center/bow).

I ran the 2277 on my 2018 T22 and loved it. I put my 2277 on my 2022 T220 w/ M5 this weekend. The T220 had the factory 2249 prop last summer.  (I am 500')

The 2277 got it done fully loaded for surfing with some extra large people in the boat too, so it was a great test. I was down 300-400 rpms from my cruising speed rpms last year and it handled the weight without issue will all ballast full, lead and large friends aboard. I'm so happy I changed it. This boat was guzzling gas last year on bay and restaurant runs.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have a 2020 t23 going to pull it out tomorrow and look at prop. When it is only my wife and son plug and play full. If i raise the wedge from 5 to 6 the boat drops from 11.5 MPH to 10.7 And can't go faster. With more crew I need to lower the wedge to 4 or 3. RPMs are around 4300. The prop has a small ding in it, which the dealership said they would fix before I picked up. Unfortunately I didn't notice until I towed it 1200 miles south. I want to be able to surf bags full wedge 6 with crew.I'm thinking I have the 2277 but everyone else is reporting lower RPMs.while I' don't love the RPMs I'm hoping that there is a prop that will get me to 11.5 MPH no matter how I set it up. I'm at sea level. Also wondering if a small ding is sucking performance. I''ll try to upload a pic of the prop to facebook then put a link here.

The 15"x13" Acme 2773 prop is recommended by Malibu for maximum torque under heavy load or for high altitude use on the 2020 Axis T23 and would be the best choice for surfing.  The Acme 2277 is the recommended high speed prop and would not be suitable for surfing with full ballast and maximum wedge drag settings.  Each one is a compromise one way or the other.

On my LSV with the 2773 and M5, I will be at @ 3850 rpm’s with full ballast and 1 click from max wedge @ 11.2 mph surfing. I do run an 850 sumo in the bow. 20 mph sees almost the same rpm. “It does not like to wakeboard, at all! 

I'm going to join this conversation, since I have a question prop related.....

I've got a 2247 on my 17 Axis A22. It planes really well/quick when taking off, not surfing...

With my floating wedge down, boat fully loaded ballast wise w/PNP, I cannot get the boat to plane. Is this normal? I was on my buddy's 2018 22VLX and his boat planes way better than mine does. I'm pulling at about 10.5-11MPH on cruise... Am I doing something wrong as the boat driver? 

6 minutes ago, RCR47 said:

I've got a 2247 on my 17 Axis A22. It planes really well/quick when taking off, not surfing...

With my floating wedge down, boat fully loaded ballast wise w/PNP, I cannot get the boat to plane. Is this normal? I was on my buddy's 2018 22VLX and his boat planes way better than mine does. I'm pulling at about 10.5-11MPH on cruise... Am I doing something wrong as the boat driver? 

What elevation? Also what transmission ratio? If you have the 1 to 1.7 I’m surprised it isn’t working. If you have the 1 to 1.5 then you may have to go with a 2315 or 2419 prop. Pulling power will increase but so will RPMS. 

3 hours ago, RCR47 said:

Also make sure you have enough bow weight that will also make you not get on plane. 

4 hours ago, teamerickson said:

What elevation? Also what transmission ratio? If you have the 1 to 1.7 I’m surprised it isn’t working. If you have the 1 to 1.5 then you may have to go with a 2315 or 2419 prop. Pulling power will increase but so will RPMS. 

I'm right on the delta. I will have to look into the ratio.