Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Safety Question About Skylon Swoop Tower

tduval

I have a 2002 SLXi with a Skylon Swoop tower with Deafcons. With the speakers, the tower is extremely top-heavy. I have always had a concern about passengers in the back being seriously injured if the tower ever collapsed and fell toward the back seat (the way this tower folds down). Only the two 3/8" threaded hand bolts hold the tower up, nothing else. I realize the chances of both these bolts failing simultaneously is very remote, and I'm sure Skylon engineered these bolts to withstand all expected forces, but the possibility still worries me. I've even considered installing rods or aircraft cable or something to secure the tower to the bow side as a backup/safety....Comments anyone?

a grade 8 bolt is one of the strongest bolts made, although they are not stainless and might be more prone to rusting if you can keep watch on them that would be cheap insurance. They are easily available at most hardware stores, some harley davidson shops will have crome in that grade, but other than that they are a blueish color.

When the tower is up, it is pretty neutral... not that much load on those bolts.

Just check them every now and then, make sure they're in tight. Both would have to break, to have the thing fall down. Pretty unlikely.

I'm not an engineer, but can say with confidence that those bolts would not ever break. If you drove under a low bridge & hit the tower, the bolts would not break, the tower would bend & the bolts would rip through the fiberglass before those 3/8" bolts would break.

Remember, this is only my opinion, however, it is correct. Crazy.gif

I have a Swoop tower with a speaker box that wieghs about 60 lbs total. The tower has develoved cracks where the bolts attach the top center section with the uprights (sides) of the tower. It will either have to be replaced or welded and then powder coated again. Skylon said that most the movement comes during towing. They also said they would be releasing some kind of support straps to use during towing. I would just keep an eye on that location and also take note of how much your tower sways during towing. Mine moves quite a bit.

I agree with everybody else. The bolts should be fine. Just make sure all the bolts are snug once a month or so.

I just replaced one of those towers with a Illusion for the same problem. Just keep an eye on those bolts for them to stay tight. I've had two of those towers and never had one come loose at that point.

With as much movement that the tower has you might also keep an eye on the screws where it mounts to the boat. Those I did have to tighten regularly.

I just replaced one of those towers with a Illusion for the same problem. Just keep an eye on those bolts for them to stay tight. I've had two of those towers and never had one come loose at that point.

With as much movement that the tower has you might also keep an eye on the screws where it mounts to the boat. Those I did have to tighten regularly.

Okay thanks everyone for the comments. I'll contact Skylon about those tow straps -- and if they're not too ugly, I'll leave them on when on the water just to give myself peace of mind!

Okay thanks everyone for the comments. I'll contact Skylon about those tow straps -- and if they're not too ugly, I'll leave them on when on the water just to give myself peace of mind!

And please update this when you get those straps, I have a swoop also and have to take it down to put it in storage. I would use those also, since mine goes down after the cover is on, and without it being held up a little, it would stretch and rip my cover.

--Robert

And please update this when you get those straps, I have a swoop also and have to take it down to put it in storage. I would use those also, since mine goes down after the cover is on, and without it being held up a little, it would stretch and rip my cover.

--Robert

Robert, how low does your tower have to go down for your storage..

I posted on here a few months back my latest tower option - allows me to keep my storage roof low, and the tower off the cover (so I can take the cover on and off and get in and out of the boat)

post-80-1169248762_thumb.jpg

post-80-1169248816_thumb.jpg