Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

trading in?

hyperlitenerd

Hey Crew,

After a trip to the boat show, dad was looking at some of the malibus (vlx and vtx) Thinking about downsizing from our 04 lsv. When we got the boat we were regularly going out with 9 people, so it made sense. But now with everyone getting jobs and going to school, we only ride with about 4 people, 6 on a rare day. So a down size might make sense.

The question is how much would we pay for a smaller boat? Our 04lsv is in good shape about 115 hours. TitanII 2 spinners, bimini, PP, teak deak, wedge, and turn down exaust. So what do you guy/gals think we could get for it? And how much would a new boat with the same options run us?

-HLN

I was looking at the 04 LSV's before I bought my VLX. I was seeing them go for anywhere from 44-47K. I saw a really nice one with 64 hours with HH go for 46,800 for reference.

I think that is the boat that *I* bought. ;-) Was it in Eastern TN?

I got it for less than that, but they were asking about $48,800 for it. There is a NICE (higher hrs tho) 2005 a Bu'lister has been trying to sell for a LONG time started out at $53k or so, and now in the high $49s? I would say that if you got somewhere along $45-46k range that would be a good deal for both the buyer and seller. The boat is now a model year older and does it have the HH?

I bought mine for right at LOW NADA without the trailer and HH upgrades added in. But that was in early October 2006, so there was a market/seasonal adjustment I got to take advantage of, IMHO.

With the boat season upon us now, it will be very easy to sell the boat you have!

On a side note, did you guys like the 04 LSV? I have only been out in mine 3X before storing. Cry.gif

Hope this helps,

Scott

I was looking at the 04 LSV's before I bought my VLX. I was seeing them go for anywhere from 44-47K. I saw a really nice one with 64 hours with HH go for 46,800 for reference.
Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

You'll end up paying more for a 'new' boat.

I'd just keep what you have. It has an incredible wake - which you're used to. Plus when you do have more people you'll have the room.

The VLX will only be one foot shorter. They're the same beam now, so not a lot different in size actually.

You'll get the tanks below the floor and the option for a new Wedge and a foot less. Is that worth selling it?

If you're just looking for a new boat, that's one thing. But selling just becuase you want something 'a little smaller' - you dad will end up spending more money. And from your past posts, it didn't sound like he was up for that.

I'd just keep what you have. It has an incredible wake - which you're used to. Plus when you do have more people you'll have the room.

The VLX will only be one foot shorter. They're the same beam now, so not a lot different in size actually.

You'll get the tanks below the floor and the option for a new Wedge and a foot less. Is that worth selling it?

If you're just looking for a new boat, that's one thing. But selling just becuase you want something 'a little smaller' - you dad will end up spending more money. And from your past posts, it didn't sound like he was up for that.

Yeah I dont think he would spend 20k for a smaller boat. The new options would be cool, but not worth another 10k+. I was just curious to see what it would look like.

On another note,

I hope this cold weather goes away soon, so we can hit up the lake soon. I've got the rope back up on the trampoline trying to get back into shape.

Yeah, I'd agree with Andy. There isn't a big price difference between the VTX and the VLX. I will consider going to the VTX in the future just because I would want to get the ability to get a skiable wake at slalom speed.

I spent a fair amount of time on this list researching and talking prior to my purchase. MOST of the time, we have about 4-6 people at the most...OCCASSIONALLY will get more, but plan to enjoy the roominess and improved rough water handling of the 23LSV. With the surfing and PP and stuff now, I expect my attendance will increase this Summer. The more the merry'er!

I could have easily gotten into a VLX but just felt like the PROs to the LSV outweighed any CONS I could find, for ME. Albeit everyone has different needs, wants, expectations for their Bu'. Sounds like you have a pretty solid LSV and might be better of just keeping it as suggested.

Scott

my 05 VLX is for sale, pretty reasonable, let me know if you are interested. The VLX is perfect for 4 and 6 occasionally. If I was riding 6 solid, I would go with the LSV.

Tell ya what.

Just because i'm nice, and it would be helping another crew member out...

I'd be willing to trade My Tractor for that old '04 of yours (straight trade), and you won't have to worry about spending more for a smaller boat.

I know, i know... generosity is very tough to come by these days.

Just don't go spreading the word - i can't be this nice to everybody! Innocent.gif

Tell ya what.

Just because i'm nice, and it would be helping another crew member out...

I'd be willing to trade My Tractor for that old '04 of yours (straight trade), and you won't have to worry about spending more for a smaller boat.

I know, i know... generosity is very tough to come by these days.

Just don't go spreading the word - i can't be this nice to everybody! Innocent.gif

Oh wow, you're so nice. Dont worry I'll keep it on the dl.

I'm gonna say 10k to 15k for the "upgrade"

Too much for me, or I could empty out my savings...naw

Considering your posts from the past (below): I'm sure your dad would consider a new boat since Malibu redesigned the manual wedge so he won't have to worry about tearing off the transom of your boat....or you could still trade the LSV for a jet boat. Biggrin.gif

from wakeworld:

By hyperlitenerd (hyperlitenrd) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit Post Delete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is all very sad to me, up till now i was always pushing my dad to look at malibus...but now... i dont know what to think, the last 3 times we have been out in our boat, an i/o we have hit something, im thinking if we had the wedge down as we probley would have... the result would have been tradgic...this is scary stuff... I hope malibu re designs the wedge....

By Salmon Tacos (salmon_tacos) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 6:53 am: Edit Post Delete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like you probably shouldn't use the wedge where you go then. In fact, maybe you ought to be driving a jet boat. The last three times? Damn.

By hyperlitenerd (hyperlitenrd) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:30 am: Edit Post Delete Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha yea 3 times... my dad has been having bad luck... once he was too close to shore, another time we hit an island that was about 1-2 ft below water that no one saw, then this last time just hit a rock pile or something...

man diggin up some old stuff. Yeah dad was rock hunting at don pedro. Have not hit anything with the malibu *knocks on wood*. But the lake we ride at almost exclusively does not have any hidden objects for us to hit.

I think the power wedge would be great to have, but im not rich enough to pay the difference.

Make them keep the boat and keep saving your money. In a few years they will be ready to sell and you can buy it from them.

Oh I am saving my money. at work for 9 hours, driving 2 hours, and no friends, I am not spending much money other than food and gas. I would love to buy a boat, but it would not make any sense for me. I don't have a truck, and I do not think I could afford a boat along with a truck :-/ I will have to wait another decade.

I didn't have to go back to find it...there's yet another thread on ww about the wedge and someone posted a link to a 3 year old story about transom damage from the wedge.

Oh ok good, I am glad you didn't actually take the time to look those up.

Make them keep the boat and keep saving your money. In a few years they will be ready to sell and you can buy it from them.

Oh I am saving my money. at work for 9 hours, driving 2 hours, and no friends, I am not spending much money other than food and gas. I would love to buy a boat, but it would not make any sense for me. I don't have a truck, and I do not think I could afford a boat along with a truck :-/ I will have to wait another decade.

Amen, mooooch as long as you can. All the costs that go with the boat really start adding up - focus on school and gettin' a good job. Ask the snapple -

Amen, mooooch as long as you can. All the costs that go with the boat really start adding up - focus on school and gettin' a good job. Ask the snapple -

The snaple says mooching ftw!

I've gotten my self into a good company. I need to work on getting a degree though. I've always had problems motivating my self for school. I need to find something I am really passionate about, which I have not found so far.

Get the degree - doesn't really matter what it is in.. just get it

Thats the problem I have, I want to do it for something :-/. maybe i'll just get a degree for computer science :(