Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another garage thread!


alcoprop

Recommended Posts

I am in the process of designing a pole barn/workshop at my house and wondering what heights you would go with. I would like to stay short as possible bc I do not want the barn to look out of place as I am only on 1.5acres. What would be the minimum garage height and eave height you would go? I currently have a 2021 23 MXZ. Thinking 12’ tall door and 14’ eaves? 

Edited by alcoprop
Link to post

I'm in a similar/different situation.  We're on 2 acres and just submitted plans for a detached garaged.  We have to match the exterior of the house so no metal building (vinyl siding, asphalt shingles and brick front).  In a perfect world, I would do a 12' garage with 14' ceilings but it would look out of place and HOA won't allow so we're either doing 10' door and 12' ceilings or 9'/11' to match house aesthetics as close as possible.  I know bigger is always better but if I have to drop the tower anyway then I'm leaning towards the 9'/11' option as we have a couple of those already in the subdivision and when tucked behind house, it's hard to tell the door is 1' higher but I think 10' might look out of place.  I still can't fit my camper in a 10' either so no benefit other than dropping the tower less.  

My other reasoning for 9/11 is because I can only build 20' wide due to setbacks so I think a 9'x16'w door would look more uniform.  We're planning 40' deep.  I just hope building materials keep dropping.  Good luck!

Link to post
13 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

I went 12x12 doors for the boat stall and 14 foot ceiling and have no regrets.  Now that I'm designing the mezzanine I honestly wouldn't mind having an extra 6-12" of height but it will work fine since I'm not super tall. 

I carried my header around to the side of the building with 2x10's and wrapped them in black coil to break up the gable a bit and not make it look like a barn.

PXL_20210225_222141576.jpg

Did you carry the headers around the sides for the mezzanine floor? Was just curious. 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, alcoprop said:

Did you carry the headers around the sides for the mezzanine floor? Was just curious. 

I didn't but plan to build with free standing steel not wood.  If building a traditional wood mezzanine that would be what I would recommend.  Check out RR Buildings on YouTube/Instagram, he does some awesome post frame building.  I watched a lot of his stuff when I built this since I don't do it everyday (the exterior J-channel window trims video alone was awesome).  I'm very good with tools but I'd like to not repeat mistakes someone else has made and shared!  

Link to post
31 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

I didn't but plan to build with free standing steel not wood.  If building a traditional wood mezzanine that would be what I would recommend.  Check out RR Buildings on YouTube/Instagram, he does some awesome post frame building.  I watched a lot of his stuff when I built this since I don't do it everyday (the exterior J-channel window trims video alone was awesome).  I'm very good with tools but I'd like to not repeat mistakes someone else has made and shared!  

I follow Kyle all the time. He is very good at what he does. I own a construction company thankfully and will be doing this build myself. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
barefootpaul

A few thought I would ponder.

A 14' door would cater to an RV or Semi owner if you ever sell. That may or may not be a consideration depending if you ever plan to sell and if those buyers might be your target market.

16' wall would be desirable for a mezzanine or some sort of partial second interior story.

I have heard in some cases building code switches between 14' and 16' for wind load.

  • Like 2
Link to post
6 minutes ago, barefootpaul said:

A few thought I would ponder.

A 14' door would cater to an RV or Semi owner if you ever sell. That may or may not be a consideration depending if you ever plan to sell and if those buyers might be your target market.

16' wall would be desirable for a mezzanine or some sort of partial second interior story.

I have heard in some cases building code switches between 14' and 16' for wind load.

Thanks! I have been contemplating on going to a 16’ walk for the 14’ door bc we do plan on getting an RV in the near future. Also a second story might be a good idea in some parts of the building. 

Link to post
BlindSquirrel

The "attic" trusses were the best thing I opted for when I built our attached garage. They were about twice the cost as the normal, but that would have been a ton of wasted space. Mine is 38x42 with 12.5 foot ceilings. I price shopped them with a couple lumber places and Menards was the cheapest by about $1,000 plus the 11% rebate.

Edited by BlindSquirrel
  • Like 2
Link to post

Another vote for Menards.  They made several deliveries to our place since they were great price wise.  They were also the place to get concrete rated (Type IV) EPS 2" foam .

Link to post
On 8/27/2021 at 9:37 AM, alcoprop said:

Thanks! I have been contemplating on going to a 16’ walk for the 14’ door bc we do plan on getting an RV in the near future. Also a second story might be a good idea in some parts of the building. 

If you are planning on getting an RV. I would strongly suggest a 14x14 door. A 12’ wide by 14 high is doable but In my experience they are a bit tight. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...