Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Response LXI Tow Vehicle

jjackkrash

That's a tough call. The V8 is natrually smoother than the V6, and I think the MPG estimates between the engines varied by 1 or 2 mpg. The cost difference was quite small as well, maybe 2K. I'd drive both and figure it out that way. Once I drove the V8 it was a no brainer for me. Either way you have to get 4WD.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VinRLX

• HRemington

• M3Fan

• jjackkrash

Either way you have to get 4WD.

Why? 4WD lowers the towing capacity and adds constant weight which lowers overall mileage. If you launch/retrieve on steep or slippery ramps it may be necessary. But otherwise?

Hank, given your towing requirements I don't think you need an 8. Of course it would be nice, but I don't think you need it. Lots of towing, long distance, hills/mountains? Then yeah, sure.

Do the brakes differ with engine choice/option package? THAT I would give serious consideration.

Why? 4WD lowers the towing capacity and adds constant weight which lowers overall mileage. If you launch/retrieve on steep or slippery ramps it may be necessary. But otherwise?

Hank, given your towing requirements I don't think you need an 8. Of course it would be nice, but I don't think you need it. Lots of towing, long distance, hills/mountains? Then yeah, sure.

Do the brakes differ with engine choice/option package? THAT I would give serious consideration.

Well, so far, M3 and Jack have helped me narrow it down to either the V6 4WD, the V6 2WD, the V8 4WD, or the V8 2WD. Does anyone know the answer regarding the brakes based on engine choice?

Also, is the 2005 and newer V8 engine so significantly better in any way I would notice? The newer model years get the 4Runner out of my budget for what I need it for. What about the V6...does it have a significant upgrade year to consider?

Lastly, does anyone know what is included on the towing package? Would that include better brakes? And where might I find the towing specs for a used Toyota based on engine and towing package?

Edited by HRemington

Wait a minute...useful information from an obscure source late on a Saturday night?...you didn't happen to pick up TR's Barcalounger® at a garage sale, did you? We may have a replacement for the Cantankerous Contrarian Canuckian®...it's the Sarcastic Supplier of Statistics and Specifications Sequestered Somewhere Southeast of Syracuse Crazy.gif

...useful information

Did you just call me useful? You'd better take that back, Mister. RTFM.gif

Nice alliteration, BTW. Biggrin.gif

Hey, just 'cause I'm from Mississippi doesn't make me alliterate...did you notice I got all the beginning sounds of each word to be the same? Biggrin.gif

Well, so far, M3 and Jack have helped me narrow it down to either the V6 4WD, the V6 2WD, the V8 4WD, or the V8 2WD. Does anyone know the answer regarding the brakes based on engine choice?

Also, is the 2005 and newer V8 engine so significantly better in any way I would notice? The newer model years get the 4Runner out of my budget for what I need it for. What about the V6...does it have a significant upgrade year to consider?

Lastly, does anyone know what is included on the towing package? Would that include better brakes? And where might I find the towing specs for a used Toyota based on engine and towing package?

To add, the V6 got a 5-speed tranny in '05. The V8 (all years) had the 5-speed. The 2003-2004 V8 is no slouch. The '05+ V8 is a little faster and gets a *little* better mileage, but theyre both good.

I would only consider 4WD in case you ever encounter a slippery or steep ramp- but thats just me. Once you get on the open road 2WD will tow just as well (if not better).

The V6 (4WD) is rated for 5500 lbs, the V8 (4WD) is rated for 7000. Supposedly the tow rating on the V6 goes up to 6500 if you add the better hitch, so it should tow well regardless. A friend of mine with a 2006 Tacoma (4WD with the same V6 and 5-speed tranny) towed my 1990 Ski Nautique and it did very well.

boattaco4.jpg

If you cant afford a newer truck, Id look mainly at the 4WD V8's that are a few years old. That way you get the 5-speed tranny(with cooler) and the bigger hitch. Like M3Fan said, there is only a 1-2 MPG difference between V6 and V8.

All models of the 4Runner have good brakes- but the Sport Edition has slightly larger rotors.

Edited by TRBenj

Another reason to get 4WD would be resale. 4WD in the snow belt is a big selling point for SUVs. Toyotas are typically sold with bundled "packages" of common options. I'd imagine around here a 2WD 4Runner V8 would be a rare find- a custom order, and, tough to unload.

On steep ramps, I like the option of kicking down to 4L. This allows the transfer case to take some load off of the trans and torque converter with a generous gear ratio. I also tow in the rain with 4WD engaged (I have no choice now with all-time 4WD but used to engage 4H when the rain started falling in the old 'Runner).

IMO, all it takes is a couple drives in inclement weather or a few slippery ramps with 4WD to convince one to "never go back" to 2WD in a truck.

Oh, here's another reason- in my part-time 4WD truck I'd quite easily spin the tires in the rain trying to pull out into traffic. I love being able to mash the accellerator knowing that my truck will "leap" into traffic with no slip in the rain. All in all, I can't imagine an SUV without 4WD, and most likely neither will the next buyer of your car.

We have an ENVOY XL SLT V8 and it is one of the nicest vehicles I have ever owned. Tows great, plenty of power, quiet and rides as nice as anything I have owned. We are leasing it now but I will try to find one to buy as soon as the lease runs out. I have owned Acura, Lexus etc. in the past and loved all of them as well. The USA vehicles just were not as nice. The times have changed and this is as nice if not better. AND OH BY THE WAY, IT IS MADE IN AMERICA BY AMERICAN WORKERS WITH THE PROFITS GOING TO AMERICAN COMPANYS. (can you tell I live in Michigan)

OK, now I've got to shift from stinky toolbox problems back to vehicle research as I hit a crisis point coming back to work from lunch. I believe I broke the timing chain on my cruddy little 1993 MB 190 w/ 180,000+mi. I've been saying I would just drive it 'til it dropped, and today it did. Everything costs at least $1,000 to fix, so I think it's time to stop. However, it hits me at a bad time budgetarily.

I may have to step down from a used 4Runner to something else that doesn't quite hold its value as much. Looking on Ebay motors for instance, I see a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4X4 V8, 74,000 miles, loaded, for about $13,000. The price is OK, but nothing great, about trade-in.

Just wanting the Crew's input on that year range for the Grand Cherokee.

Hank, I'm currently driving my second Jeep. I won't buy another one. FWIW

Regardless of which vehicle you end up with, don't unleash your stinky tool inside. You can never get that smell out. ;)

Hank, I'm currently driving my second Jeep. I won't buy another one. FWIW

What years have you owned and why not another if you liked the first enough to buy a second? You could be a lot more helpful on this site by providing details...just like Tommy, we've got to pull it out of you. Biggrin.gif

As usual...still waiting on useful information from Jack (see post #39) Whistling.gif

Anybody else with useful input on 2002-03 range Grand Cherokee feel free.

IKAGLTO

You mean used, lots of miles on the odometer, not holding her value well, and wouldn't have another like her? Biggrin.gif

Something like that. :)

Anyway, send me an email (my pm box is full) and I'll share some details with you. I don't have experience with the years you listed, buy I can tell you a bit about my 89 and 99.

I have an 06 Wakesetter 21 Xti. Not the heaviest of boats by Malibu, but not a light weight either. At the time I purchased the boat I had a Nissan Frontier Nismo (4x4 with the HO v6 260 HP) and a 05 Chevy Tahoe. I can tell you that the Nissan (dispite the claims of the manufacturer) was NOT up to towing the Malibu. Boat ramps and steep hills could be a clutch burning experience unless I gear down to 4 wheel low. Not to mention the pushing factor of the boat trying to muscle the frontier around.

The Tahoe is much better at towing the bu, with its 1/2 tone frame and 5.3 V8. However, if I loaded the tahoe up with people, then attached the Bu with gear and a full tank of gas the tahoe was marginal at best in terms of power. I am talking about hill power and passing power, not I want to tow my boat at 90mph type of power.

So I made a decision and sold the Nissan to a kid who wanted the NISMO deal. I kept the Tahoe since it is a great family mover. I think picked up an 06 dodge 2500 with a Cummins Turbo Diesel. Now, towing the Bu is a breeze. With 325+ HP and 610+ Ft pounds of torque, not to mention heavy duty axles the 3/4 Dodge tows like a champ. I can load up the bed, carry 6 people (crowdedly) tow the boat with a full tank of gas and still have power to spare and get 16-17mph while doing it.

Diesels are da own for towing.

My baby:

lift1.jpg

lift2.jpg

lift12.jpg

PS Did you fix the skanky tools in your box problem? I would expect an update on that thread either way. Crazy.gif

First you hurt my feelings when you called my thread...ludicrous, was it? Then rubbed salt in the wounds with...weinie, was it? Now you want an update? I'm sorry, Jack...it's just not that easy for me. You'll have to give me some time to heal. I'm keeping my skanky tools to myself.

I would also recommend the V8 4R. We bought a leftover 2005 model in November of 2005. I don't tow a lot but the times it pulls my boat like its not even there. Also, I have been impressed by the fuel economy. Its a V8, full time 4 wheel drive and we average about 19 MPG. On long highway trips we can get about 21. Also the truck is rock solid and we haven't had a single problem with it. The only down side I see to the 4R is that although a third row of seats is offered as an option, we were told that its pretty much impossible to find them.

aftermarket third seat

IKAGLTO

You mean used, lots of miles on the odometer, not holding her value well, and wouldn't have another like her? Biggrin.gif

Something like that. :)

Anyway, send me an email (my pm box is full) and I'll share some details with you. I don't have experience with the years you listed, buy I can tell you a bit about my 89 and 99.

Renew your membership you tightwad, and you'd have some PM room (got your box access limited didn't ya? ;) )