Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Another Prop Thread...


Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am new to this Forum and this is my first post. I am the proud new owner of a brand new 2021 23MXZ. This is my first boat but I have been around boats my entire life but never been the owner. I have always been on my family or friends boats. I am now the "Friend with a boat" LOL. I could not be happier with my purchase. This boat is absolutely amazing! I have taken it out 3 times now and have about 14 hours on it. 

Well the bad news is I dinged my prop up while putting the boat back on the trailer this past weekend. I drove the boat onto the trailer and thought I was centered well...according to my 16 year old son I was centered and it felt centered. I gave it a little throttle to get the eyelet snugged up to bumper ( I have done this 100's of times with other boats) and the boat yawed a bit and the prop dinged the frame. Luckily it is going to be repairable but I am thinking about putting a 17x17 prop on it. Good news is the shop that is getting me the prop said I can return it if I don't like the performance. The prop that came on the boat is a OJ V4 17X15.5. After reading some posts on here it sounds like I might be happier with the 17x17 and I can save the 17X15.5 for boating at altitude. My top speed with about 5 people in the boat was about 37-38 miles an hour. I assume I will get a few more MPH's with the 17x17 prop But I want to make sure I still have a good prop for surfing. I found that with the boat fully ballasted with the wedge in position 1, I had an awesome steep wake that had good length at 11.6 MPH. This was for right side surfing. left side was a little different. I found it Better to have about 75% ballast on the right side of the boat when surfing the left side and about 11.8 MPH with the wedge in position 1. 

 

I am curious what top speeds I will get to with the 17x17 and will surfing suffer at all? From what I read so far it seems like I will be just fine but thought I would ask specifically for my situation. Oh, I typically will be boating on the California Delta in Nor Cal or at some the lakes that are with about 2 to 3 hours of me... Lake Tulloch, New Malones, Don Pedro, Lake McClure, Camanche etc. There will be the occasional trip to Donner or Tahoe as well.

BTW...No more throttling the boat to the bumper. I will be putting the trailer deeper in the water and winching it snug from now on. expensive lesson learned! LOL

Thanks,

Mike

Link to post
Surf4FamFun

We have the same hull/year and the 17x15.5 prop, assume you have the M6, don't think you would be happy with that combination and the M5.  Our PNP bags are 650 lb according to what is printed on them.  From what I have read I am thinking the 17/17 would give your 42-43 mph but don't know from first hand experience

I am probably going to try the same change on prop but the current config works very well and not terribly motivated.

Some  cautions, when comparing props and apparently similar boats keep in mind that depending on year and installed motor the transmission may be either a 2.0 (more recent) or 1.76 ratio (someone will correct me if I got that right) which is a pretty big difference.  

You will likely find some people who want more ramp from the wedge.  Had a guest a couple of weeks ago wanted a 4 wedge at 11.8 goofy.  He wanted to try a 6 but the M6 would not pull it.  Most behind our boat use a 1 or 2, 3 is not that unusual.

For us crew size varies a lot.  Weekdays after school with the kids probably 900 pounds.  On both vacation trips to the lake this summer with 12 - 16 in the house the boat had a  crew ranging from 1,200 to 1,900 hundred pounds.

Just some variables to consider.

Link to post

Friend and I both run the OJ 1770 17x17 props behind our boats and are happy with them.  My boat is a '21 23 LSV and his is a '21 Axis A24.  We primarily wakeboard and we both can run rear PNP full + full stock ballast + wedge position 3 or 4 at 21-22 MPH without any problems.  On his Axis, his rear PNP are the 900's.  We are not at elevation and these props run flawlessly.  It is great.  Don't really know what top speed is, nor care.  Surfing speeds for us 10.8 mph, RPMS are around 3100.

Link to post
13 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

We have the same hull/year and the 17x15.5 prop, assume you have the M6, don't think you would be happy with that combination and the M5.  Our PNP bags are 650 lb according to what is printed on them.  From what I have read I am thinking the 17/17 would give your 42-43 mph but don't know from first hand experience

I am probably going to try the same change on prop but the current config works very well and not terribly motivated.

Some  cautions, when comparing props and apparently similar boats keep in mind that depending on year and installed motor the transmission may be either a 2.0 (more recent) or 1.76 ratio (someone will correct me if I got that right) which is a pretty big difference.  

You will likely find some people who want more ramp from the wedge.  Had a guest a couple of weeks ago wanted a 4 wedge at 11.8 goofy.  He wanted to try a 6 but the M6 would not pull it.  Most behind our boat use a 1 or 2, 3 is not that unusual.

For us crew size varies a lot.  Weekdays after school with the kids probably 900 pounds.  On both vacation trips to the lake this summer with 12 - 16 in the house the boat had a  crew ranging from 1,200 to 1,900 hundred pounds.

Just some variables to consider.

Thank you for the response I appreciate it! Yes I have the M6 motor. I just found out the my stock prop is repairable so I am happy about that and will get it repaired. I will be testing the 17x17 this Sunday. If I don't care fort it I can return it which is nice. I definitely had no complaints with the 17x15.5 stock prop but I was able to get the 17x17 immediately and get to try it for free LOL. If I like it better then I will keep it on there and use my repaired stock prop as an elevation prop. I will report back after this Sunday! My boat is brand new 2021 14 hours on it so I believe it is the 2.0 trans. 

 

Thanks again,

Mike Miller  

Link to post
13 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

Friend and I both run the OJ 1770 17x17 props behind our boats and are happy with them.  My boat is a '21 23 LSV and his is a '21 Axis A24.  We primarily wakeboard and we both can run rear PNP full + full stock ballast + wedge position 3 or 4 at 21-22 MPH without any problems.  On his Axis, his rear PNP are the 900's.  We are not at elevation and these props run flawlessly.  It is great.  Don't really know what top speed is, nor care.  Surfing speeds for us 10.8 mph, RPMS are around 3100.

Thank you for your response! Awesome sounds like I won't be disappointed. I am not really interested in top speed either just wake and surf performance. I was just curious as a comparison to what I am getting now which is about 37 MPH. 

 

Thank you again!

Mike 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, 23MXZ4ME said:

Thank you for your response! Awesome sounds like I won't be disappointed. I am not really interested in top speed either just wake and surf performance. I was just curious as a comparison to what I am getting now which is about 37 MPH. 

 

Thank you again!

Mike 

For reference, I have the ACME 2805, which is effectively the same as the OJ that @bcoppess23has and I love the performance.  He and I have the same boat with the M6 and I'm seen WOT top speeds just north of 40 MPH.  I see similar RPM as he does while surfing depending on speed and ballast based on rider skill and age.  

 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

For reference, I have the ACME 2805, which is effectively the same as the OJ that @bcoppess23has and I love the performance.  He and I have the same boat with the M6 and I'm seen WOT top speeds just north of 40 MPH.  I see similar RPM as he does while surfing depending on speed and ballast based on rider skill and age.  

 

 

Awesome! the 2805 is the prop that I had them install and will be testing this Sunday. Sounds like I am going to enjoy this prop and end up with spare that can also be used at altitude!

 

Thank you,

Mike Miller

Link to post
15 minutes ago, 23MXZ4ME said:

Awesome! the 2805 is the prop that I had them install and will be testing this Sunday. Sounds like I am going to enjoy this prop and end up with spare that can also be used at altitude!

 

Thank you,

Mike Miller

Happy to help.  I have my "standard" prop that came with my boat as a back up.  The 2805 is awesome, as is the OJ that @bcoppess23is running.

 

Link to post

Kind of off topic but what did you hit the prop on?  Bunk, cage, tie down?  Was your trailer too far in the water?  Not trying to nitpick but I didn’t even think this could be an issue and now I am worried :-(

Link to post
10 hours ago, RoverOn said:

Kind of off topic but what did you hit the prop on?  Bunk, cage, tie down?  Was your trailer too far in the water?  Not trying to nitpick but I didn’t even think this could be an issue and now I am worried :-(

So there are three bars that "surround" the prop on my trailer. One is directly underneath, one is to the left side and one is to the right side of the prop. They run from back to front. The boat yawed pretty good to the left which made the rear of the boat go to the right. This was totally my fault. But to be honest I did not think this could happen either. I think the bottom of the "V" of the haul was actually to the left of the channel it was supposed to be in as I drove the boat onto the trailer. My son said I was centered but I obviously was not. This last tine out I just backed a bit further down the ramp and used the wench to pull the boat up the last foot or so. It was not a big deal. This was no more problems. 

 

regards,

Mike        

Link to post

I run the OJ 1770 17x17 on my 2021 23 LSV with the M6 and have similar results as @bcoppess23 mentioned above.  I run 650 bags + stock ballast all full both surfing and wakeboarding with no issues at 1000 ft elevation.

Link to post
21 hours ago, RoverOn said:

Kind of off topic but what did you hit the prop on?  Bunk, cage, tie down?  Was your trailer too far in the water?  Not trying to nitpick but I didn’t even think this could be an issue and now I am worried :-(

On a related note, a friend just found out why the transom straps should never be left hanging while unstrapped. 

405C6E6D-9AC2-423C-A0A4-12D4DE84A801.thumb.jpeg.dcba0f177317817d10f3791d0948e0dd.jpeg

560B1D5C-1AF3-402C-835F-E72F20158162.thumb.jpeg.ecf02b857fdca95f50f5789d052ceeae.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
19 hours ago, NWBU said:

On a related note, a friend just found out why the transom straps should never be left hanging while unstrapped. 

405C6E6D-9AC2-423C-A0A4-12D4DE84A801.thumb.jpeg.dcba0f177317817d10f3791d0948e0dd.jpeg

560B1D5C-1AF3-402C-835F-E72F20158162.thumb.jpeg.ecf02b857fdca95f50f5789d052ceeae.jpeg

 

Barely caught mine once (heard the clang) and now I tighten them ALL the way down prior to unloading :-)

 

Link to post
19 hours ago, NWBU said:

On a related note, a friend just found out why the transom straps should never be left hanging while unstrapped. 

405C6E6D-9AC2-423C-A0A4-12D4DE84A801.thumb.jpeg.dcba0f177317817d10f3791d0948e0dd.jpeg

560B1D5C-1AF3-402C-835F-E72F20158162.thumb.jpeg.ecf02b857fdca95f50f5789d052ceeae.jpeg

Is that "ding" on the prop cage from this also or is there some other issue?

Link to post
40 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

Is that "ding" on the prop cage from this also or is there some other issue?

That happened when the prop sucked in the strap and then pulled to the right, before ripping off the transom strap bracket. 

Link to post

So I thought I would follow up on this now that I have run the 17x17 prop. I did really enjoy the boat with this prop. The only downside which I don't think is really a downside is that the preprogrammed surf Left/right setting on the boat is set to full ballast (fill everything including PNP) 11.8 MPH, wedge in position 4. It might be 11.6 MPH now that I think about it....anyway I had the MPH set at 11.8 and with the wedge in position 6 and the boat would not go above 11.4 MPH. Where as with the 17x15.5 had no problem getting to 11.8 MPH in the same condition. I am fine with this because I think I need to be surfing a bit slower anyway. I am still playing around with these settings trying the get the best right side and left side wake.        

Link to post
4 hours ago, 23MXZ4ME said:

So I thought I would follow up on this now that I have run the 17x17 prop. I did really enjoy the boat with this prop. The only downside which I don't think is really a downside is that the preprogrammed surf Left/right setting on the boat is set to full ballast (fill everything including PNP) 11.8 MPH, wedge in position 4. It might be 11.6 MPH now that I think about it....anyway I had the MPH set at 11.8 and with the wedge in position 6 and the boat would not go above 11.4 MPH. Where as with the 17x15.5 had no problem getting to 11.8 MPH in the same condition. I am fine with this because I think I need to be surfing a bit slower anyway. I am still playing around with these settings trying the get the best right side and left side wake.        

Add a little more bow weight and play with it some more. That will length your wave and bring the prop angle down so the boat isn’t working so hard.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...