Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long crank issue


Recommended Posts

2018 24MXZ is acting up on me and before I take it in I wanted to ask a few questions.

Boat starts right up when we arrive at the lake and every time we switch surfers.  Never has an issue.

If we anchor out, float and listen to music for more than half an hour, when I go to start the boat up, it cranks for over 10 seconds before actually starting.  IT ONLY does it after sitting on the water.  It doesn't even do it when I fire it up at the ramp when we get to the lake. 

It seems like its leaking fuel pressure off and taking a while to build back up but not sure.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Link to post

Already done.  Its been doing this for a while and I actually added a 3rd battery yesterday morning and it still did it yesterday afternoon.   

When the boat is cranking it has full power and cranks strong, just doesn't fire for about 10 seconds 

Link to post

I thought about that too but wouldn't it bleed pressure off all the time then?  It can sit in storage for weeks and when I back it in at the ramp, it fires right up.  Only after running around for a while and then sitting it does it.  

Link to post

Is it a raptor? So it cranks and doesn’t sound like the cranking is struggling for power. If so it’s most likely one of two things, your fuel filter or the pressure regulator sensor inside of the fuel pump. Well known issue on the raptors, change the fuel filter and it will likely improve. If not get on your dealer about getting a warranty replacement on the sensor. 
 

Link to post
16 minutes ago, BY66 said:

I thought about that too but wouldn't it bleed pressure off all the time then?  It can sit in storage for weeks and when I back it in at the ramp, it fires right up.  Only after running around for a while and then sitting it does it.  

Sounds more like vapor lock, but I didn't think that was an issue on the newer boats.

  • Like 2
Link to post

Obviously heat soak somewhere in the fuel system is the issue.  Is your engine DI?  You running ethanol free?  If not, try that.  Ethanol blended fuels have higher RVPs, according my my research.

Link to post
1 hour ago, BY66 said:

I thought about that too but wouldn't it bleed pressure off all the time then?  It can sit in storage for weeks and when I back it in at the ramp, it fires right up.  Only after running around for a while and then sitting it does it.  

It fires right up when cold because of cold start enrichment.

When the engine is warmed up the fuel injection doesn't give the extra fuel so it has to wait on the pressure to come up.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Cole2001 said:

Is it a raptor? So it cranks and doesn’t sound like the cranking is struggling for power. If so it’s most likely one of two things, your fuel filter or the pressure regulator sensor inside of the fuel pump. Well known issue on the raptors, change the fuel filter and it will likely improve. If not get on your dealer about getting a warranty replacement on the sensor. 
 

Yes it is a Raptor.  I was thinking fuel filter also but wasn't sure.   My next call was to the dealer but wanted to make sure it wasn't something easy. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

Obviously heat soak somewhere in the fuel system is the issue.  Is your engine DI?  You running ethanol free?  If not, try that.  Ethanol blended fuels have higher RVPs, according my my research.

Yes always ethanol free 

Link to post
25 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It fires right up when cold because of cold start enrichment.

When the engine is warmed up the fuel injection doesn't give the extra fuel so it has to wait on the pressure to come up.

So you're still thinking regulator?  I'm going to call the dealer and ask some questions and will bring this up 

Link to post
17 minutes ago, BY66 said:

So you're still thinking regulator?  I'm going to call the dealer and ask some questions and will bring this up 

That's what I would lean toward.

Link to post

You could have a leaking injector(s) causing excessive fuel to build up after you run the boat, shut it off, and let it sit.  It may take a bit longer to start if there is too much fuel in the cylinder(s).  A faulty coolant temperature sensor can also to that with a warm engine when starting.

Link to post
3 hours ago, BY66 said:

Yes it is a Raptor.  I was thinking fuel filter also but wasn't sure.   My next call was to the dealer but wanted to make sure it wasn't something easy. 

I had the same problem for over a year. Nobody could figure it out. Replaced the fuel filter and it helped 90% of the time and actually traded the boat in after that but heard it ended up being the pressure sensor inside of the fuel pump. 
 

Indmar recommends changing the fuel filter once a year or two and when they changed  mine it was very dirty. And just an FYI it’s not the easiest thing to change. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...