Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Batteries not charging


Recommended Posts

I’m having issues with my batteries not charging while the boat is running.  It’s a 2004 Wakesetter 23lsv. I start getting the battery notifications on my dash saying it/they are losing power. This is all new to me so any advice is appreciated...one battery is brand new and the other is used, but still tests good. 

Link to post

Check your battery voltage with a voltmeter right at the battery while the engine is running.  You should see something like 14v or so indicating the alternator is charging correctly.  If you are not sure how to check, youtube has a ton of easy videos showing how.  If you don't have a voltmeter you can pick up an el cheapo at harbor freight or the like for peanuts.

 

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, DUKENO1 said:

Check your battery voltage with a voltmeter right at the battery while the engine is running.  You should see something like 14v or so indicating the alternator is charging correctly.  If you are not sure how to check, youtube has a ton of easy videos showing how.  If you don't have a voltmeter you can pick up an el cheapo at harbor freight or the like for peanuts.

 

 

Thanks for the info...I don’t have a fake lake so need to wait until I can get it in the water. 

Link to post
25 minutes ago, KevinC said:

Thanks for the info...I don’t have a fake lake so need to wait until I can get it in the water. 

Get a fake lake…fairly cheap ($23 on Amazon) and worth it for easy driveway maintenance.  I use mine all the time, oil changes, impeller swap, winterization and leak check in the spring. 
 

My alternator went out and had same symptoms as you. I was able to change it myself but a marine alternator is $300 or so, installed is another $200ish. 

Link to post
BlindSquirrel
12 hours ago, KevinC said:

I’m having issues with my batteries not charging while the boat is running.  It’s a 2004 Wakesetter 23lsv. I start getting the battery notifications on my dash saying it/they are losing power. This is all new to me so any advice is appreciated...one battery is brand new and the other is used, but still tests good. 

Might consider doing this since you're replacing it already. Pretty sure it will work for yours too, a review on the alternator website says they did it in a 2006 malibu.

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...