Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 Axis A22 - Which fuel? 87, 89, 92?


Speedy059

Recommended Posts

Speedy059

Which fuel do you guys put into your Axis boat with the base engine (409 i think)? I have been putting premium in it, but that probably doesn't help if the engine wasn't designed for it. Do these engines typically take 87 octane, or do you guys stick to 92 octane?

Link to post
BlindSquirrel
15 minutes ago, Speedy059 said:

Which fuel do you guys put into your Axis boat with the base engine (409 i think)? I have been putting premium in it, but that probably doesn't help if the engine wasn't designed for it. Do these engines typically take 87 octane, or do you guys stick to 92 octane?

You should still read it... but here is a snip from it.

fuel

 

 

Link to post

It depends on which engine you have. 2020 should have the Malibu M-series engine. But when you say 409, that eludes me to think it’s a pcm or raptor. Can you please confirm that first? All three have different recommended fuel. 

Link to post
12 hours ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It depends on which engine you have. 2020 should have the Malibu M-series engine. But when you say 409, that eludes me to think it’s a pcm or raptor. Can you please confirm that first? All three have different recommended fuel. 

If it was around the GM strike it could have a PCM.

Link to post
formerathlete

We have the Crusader Monsoon 409 and the engine will be fine with 87 but our dealer recommended running 92. So, that's what we try and do (though now that gas prices are higher, we're not loving 92).

Link to post

87 will be fine.  Just remember to add stabilizer at the end of the season. Ethanol fuel doesn't store quite as long...

Link to post

Honestly why not run premium regardless. It’s usually $0.20-30 a gallon more roughly. That’s $10-15 more a tank if you were filling 50gal. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

If the motor is designed for 87, no benefit to running premium grade fuel.  Check your manual or there should be a sticker on your motor with fuel recommendation. Higher octane does not mean more energy,it has to do with higher compression motors and detonation problems with lower octane fuels. 

Link to post
13 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

If the motor is designed for 87, no benefit to running premium grade fuel.  Check your manual or there should be a sticker on your motor with fuel recommendation. Higher octane does not mean more energy,it has to do with higher compression motors and detonation problems with lower octane fuels. 

 

1F1A89A5-35F8-43E5-B700-7E6CF42184B8.png

8A79D8FA-20CD-44FA-BA3C-B29AD43782CD.png

Link to post
1 hour ago, mk2driver said:

 

1F1A89A5-35F8-43E5-B700-7E6CF42184B8.png

8A79D8FA-20CD-44FA-BA3C-B29AD43782CD.png

This is why it is important to understand what engine the OP actually has. There was a gap in supply due to the GM strike and they could have a PCM Crusader which does call for 87 unlike the Malibu M series engine calling for 93. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...