Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

rumor has it we lost parrish

lxirod

I don' tbelieve this will have any impact on Bu sales and I agree that it's a financial decision for CP to go with whatever gives him the most of what he wants. The thing that strikes me is his rip of Malibu about the station wagon-not cool. Totally uneccessary and didn't add value to CC, why make it?

So, here's a skier that set one record behind Bu, then a few weeks later set another record behind a MC. Now, the only chance he has to set a record behind his sponsers boat is at the masters. One chance a year and the rest of the time it's behind "the competitions" boats.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• skisix@38

• Malibudude

• Greg_S

• lxirod

I don' tbelieve this will have any impact on Bu sales and I agree that it's a financial decision for CP to go with whatever gives him the most of what he wants. The thing that strikes me is his rip of Malibu about the station wagon-not cool. Totally uneccessary and didn't add value to CC, why make it?

So, here's a skier that set one record behind Bu, then a few weeks later set another record behind a MC. Now, the only chance he has to set a record behind his sponsers boat is at the masters. One chance a year and the rest of the time it's behind "the competitions" boats.

Maybe CC offered him a bonus to not try as hard at the other competitions behind non CC boats. :)

Speaking of the Tower (who, I might add is an approcahable, nice guy who was/is great for waterskiing and who I doubt meant any malice toward Malibu in his quote), did anyone find the ad for Mastercraft on the back of the boat buyer's guide a low blow? For a company to speculate about another company's employee's opinion (CP's) that he would be disappointed to return to his boat in the garage is quite...improper, IMHO.

Speaking of the Tower (who, I might add is an approcahable, nice guy who was/is great for waterskiing and who I doubt meant any malice toward Malibu in his quote), did anyone find the ad for Mastercraft on the back of the boat buyer's guide a low blow? For a company to speculate about another company's employee's opinion (CP's) that he would be disappointed to return to his boat in the garage is quite...improper, IMHO.

It did seem like a low blow. I was reading the mastercraft forum last night and it seemed like many of the contributors over there thought it was inappropriate as well. Their thought was these pro skiers don't really have a choice as to which boat pulls them in a tournament, as they are usually selected at random. The only tournaments I know of that this is not the case is the tournaments that has only 1 major boat sponsor (ex. Malibu Open).

Besides, going 36 mph behind either a MC, CC, or Bu when the skier is only 26 ft off the back of the boat, it's all on the skier, not the boat.

Yes, I noticed that as well and just haven't bothered bringing it up. I thought it typical of MasterCraft, though. Lacked class, was unnecessary, and certainly won't win over any new friends. It also smacked of claiming the world record achievement was their own doings, so in a real sense, was a slap to CP. The implication was that setting the record required the unfair advantage and blessing of being pulled by a MasterCraft.

However, I still think the station wagon comment was equally malevolent, whether CP or marketing is to blame. Shame on both.

Besides, going 36 mph behind either a MC, CC, or Bu when the skier is only 26 ft off the back of the boat, it's all on the skier, not the boat.

Unfortunately that's not entirely true. At those lengths the driver has a lot to do with the skier being able to get around the buoys. A 6" boat path deviation is a mucha larger percentage of 26' of remaining rope than it is of 43' of remaining rope for instance.

Isn't Chris also sponsored by Chevy... the maker of the original Sation Wagon... :Doh: ?? If so, I hope Mercedes is looking to sponsor an Athelet...

***EDIT***

It was Pontiac... but still under General Motors.

Edited by 1FootDan
maybe he got tired of waiting for a Response with a decent windshield... ;)

Chris is a stand-up guy. He was proud as heck of his last Response, and I'm sure he would have stayed with Malibu had they had offered as good a deal as CC. It is a business for him (and the other pros as well) and he needs to make sponsorship & endorsement decisions that are best for him. Lord knows that there wasn't enough prize money from the few tournaments last year to pay for a season's worth of gas.

To bash the guy's integrity & wish him ill in competition because he switched boat sponsors is a bit over the top. It's a boat, not a religion.

Oh no, not the windshield thing again..... Cry.gif

As for the "quote"

First off, just because the Press Release said he said it, does NOT mean that Chris ever said it, or even got a chance to see it before it went to press. CC will have scripted it, not Chris. Let's not climb all over the guy for a business statement. As someone said, this is not a religious organization he/we belong to.

Second, there is another way to interpret his quote. He/they may NOT be referring to HIM moving from a station-wagon to a CC, it may simple be suggesting any buyer that moves from ANY boat to their CC will feel like they have left a station wagon.

Third, the first part of the CC Press Release talks about CC's commitment (as a company) to the pure sport of water-skiing. Let's face it, other than the RLXi and the original Response, Malibu has in fact moved almost entirely in the direction of wakeboarding. More seats, more ballast, bigger, longer. heavier, needing bigger engines, etc etc. Malibu has abandoned the Sportster, and we've talked about how likely the old Response will likely follow. That leaves ONE hull dedicated to skiing. Sure, the RLXI is a fantastic ski machine..... but I also think many have commented recently about the 2007 look.... and many don't like it. Some (me included) think it's "looking" more like a cross-over boat. No I haven't been IN a new 2007.... and folks may say it's just as good (or better) than the old RLXi for shortline skiing.... but it has adopted some of the look of a boarding boat.

Lastly, who cares. I do not think it's Chris thumbing his nose at Malibu. He's just moved on. He's pushing the new sponsor's product. It's business.

If we take it too seriously, it's us thats turning it into a religion or cult or something equally silly.

Now, back to that windshield thing.......

As for the "quote"

First off, just because the Press Release said he said it, does NOT mean that Chris ever said it, or even got a chance to see it before it went to press. CC will have scripted it, not Chris. Let's not climb all over the guy for a business statement. As someone said, this is not a religious organization he/we belong to.

Second, there is another way to interpret his quote. He/they may NOT be referring to HIM moving from a station-wagon to a CC, it may simple be suggesting any buyer that moves from ANY boat to their CC will feel like they have left a station wagon.

Third, the first part of the CC Press Release talks about CC's commitment (as a company) to the pure sport of water-skiing. Let's face it, other than the RLXi and the original Response, Malibu has in fact moved almost entirely in the direction of wakeboarding. More seats, more ballast, bigger, longer. heavier, needing bigger engines, etc etc. Malibu has abandoned the Sportster, and we've talked about how likely the old Response will likely follow. That leaves ONE hull dedicated to skiing. Sure, the RLXI is a fantastic ski machine..... but I also think many have commented recently about the 2007 look.... and many don't like it. Some (me included) think it's "looking" more like a cross-over boat. No I haven't been IN a new 2007.... and folks may say it's just as good (or better) than the old RLXi for shortline skiing.... but it has adopted some of the look of a boarding boat.

Lastly, who cares. I do not think it's Chris thumbing his nose at Malibu. He's just moved on. He's pushing the new sponsor's product. It's business.

If we take it too seriously, it's us thats turning it into a religion or cult or something equally silly.

Doug,

Quite simply there is nothing to be gained from making any comment about his last sponser when talking about a new sponser. No matter who wrote it or ok'd it to be printed, it will always reflect poorly on the parties involved- no matter the intentions behind the remark.

Malibu is doing good business, whether a few of it's loyal customers disagree or not - they are providing products that a majority of customers want to spend money on- just as you described above. If the hand full of us traditionalists are left wanting to have a small, marginally comfortable, rough riding boat with no creature comforts we would have more money in our pockets if we went out and bought 94-97 MC190's, Just my opinion.

First words out of Son's mouth when I told him cp went to CC, "can you blame him, he took one look at...."

maybe he got tired of waiting for a Response with a decent windshield... ;)

Chris is a stand-up guy. He was proud as heck of his last Response, and I'm sure he would have stayed with Malibu had they had offered as good a deal as CC. It is a business for him (and the other pros as well) and he needs to make sponsorship & endorsement decisions that are best for him. Lord knows that there wasn't enough prize money from the few tournaments last year to pay for a season's worth of gas.

To bash the guy's integrity & wish him ill in competition because he switched boat sponsors is a bit over the top. It's a boat, not a religion.

Oh no, not the windshield thing again..... Cry.gif

As for the "quote"

Business is business but professional business practices are important even in today’s ruthless world. As Greg stated what's to be gained by disparaging diatribe about other companies....prove it on the course the real true measure.

Does anyone know what he is getting paid from CC versus what he was getting paid from Malibu? Mayber the differential was so much that he could not turn it down. Most likely he made a business decision to move to more money. Most of us would probably do the same thing.

Can't say that I agree with the analogy he made but other than that I don't hold anything against him.

Money talks...bs walks. Like somebody else said, he'd be with Bayliner if that's where the price was right.

Kind of reminds me how many pro-sports free agents always want to "play for a winner," that is, until the offers come in. CP's services are available to the highest bidder, no different than the rest of us.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

Who skiing what makes little difference to me. What do I like to ski is the question......

I skied eighty times not runs but eighty times this past summer. We used CC 196 MC 190 Sunseter lxi Response lxi and ski Centurion. Not once did I turn down any outing because it wasn't the right boat.

P.S. I am waiting on my own Response lxi. the order is in. Oh i am not crazy about the windshield...But the WAKE is so good.

Who skiing what makes little difference to me. What do I like to ski is the question......

I skied eighty times not runs but eighty times this past summer. We used CC 196 MC 190 Sunseter lxi Response lxi and ski Centurion. Not once did I turn down any outing because it wasn't the right boat.

P.S. I am waiting on my own Response lxi. the order is in. Oh i am not crazy about the windshield...But the WAKE is so good.

I know there has been a lot of comments on this. I went and looked at one up close the other day. I liked it in person, I think it looks good.

I don't blame CP at all for moving to a different brand/more money, it's just that comment that was wrong.

Hmmm, let's see:

Porsche makes a station wagon called the Cayenne. Kinda like it. Hot. Goes like stink!

Mercedes Benz is also Daimler Chrysler, the designer of the K-car and all those aging minivans.

So.... twisting Chris' words around..... which would you prefer, a Cayenne, or an old Plymouth Reliant.

Station Wagon or Mercedes? I pick station wagon.

Silly statement actually. Chris (or whoever wrote it) is mixing metaphors.

By the way. probably everyone of us has changed jobs or girl/boyfriends/mates. At the time, the old one seemed pretty good. Had planned to stay forever. Things changed. Something new came along. Seemed better. Left to greener pastures. Tell me that none of us ever said anything "bad" about the old one after we left.

Chris' move will not change my life much.

Well, then again..... if his move motivates Malibu into putting the old windshield back on again, he might be back. Who knows. It aint over yet.

Hmmm, let's see:

Porsche makes a station wagon called the Cayenne. Kinda like it. Hot. Goes like stink!

Mercedes Benz is also Daimler Chrysler, the designer of the K-car and all those aging minivans.

So.... twisting Chris' words around..... which would you prefer, a Cayenne, or an old Plymouth Reliant.

Station Wagon or Mercedes? I pick station wagon.

Silly statement actually. Chris (or whoever wrote it) is mixing metaphors.

By the way. probably everyone of us has changed jobs or girl/boyfriends/mates. At the time, the old one seemed pretty good. Had planned to stay forever. Things changed. Something new came along. Seemed better. Left to greener pastures. Tell me that none of us ever said anything "bad" about the old one after we left.

Chris' move will not change my life much.

Well, then again..... if his move motivates Malibu into putting the old windshield back on again, he might be back. Who knows. It aint over yet.

I'd had that thought. BMW, Audi, Porsche & MB make some very hot station wagons that would blow most of our doors off.

Personally I wish Chris the best in this. Business is business & I never thought for once that the station wagon comment came from him. Even if it did, it's still business & nothing personal.

I don't fault CP for switching, I fault him for how he executed the switch. I know some on here think that CP is a top notch guy but that's not what I've heard and experienced- he's not got near the composure that Terry, Marcus or Andy have and this is just another data point to support that. Any pro that throws his ski after a sucky run doesn't deserve my support.

I finally read the back cover of my BBG to see for myself what MC was advertising. What a crock of BS! "... the boat of choise that day..." WTF? If my aging memory is correct the record was set at Trophy which is MC exclusive! There was no other choice to make, MC or not ski. The other thing MC doesn't mention is that 2 weeks prior to that, or so, he broke the record and had it denied by the technical committee due to BOAT PATH, again that was at Trophy.

All of this is just bad form all the way around. I wish these companies would take the high road and serve as an example instead of cheap shots.

Money talks...bs walks. Like somebody else said, he'd be with Bayliner if that's where the price was right.

Kind of reminds me how many pro-sports free agents always want to "play for a winner," that is, until the offers come in. CP's services are available to the highest bidder, no different than the rest of us.

My thoughts exactly.

It's no different than A-Rod going to NY, Shaq to Miami, Saban to Bama, etc. Money talks, regardless of the sport. I had a couple beers w/ him in Florida last year, and he seemed to be a very nice guy that knows his stuff. I wish him luck with CC. Business is business I guess. They come, and they go.

My thoughts exactly.

It's no different than A-Rod going to NY, Shaq to Miami, Saban to Bama, etc. Money talks, regardless of the sport. I had a couple beers w/ him in Florida last year, and he seemed to be a very nice guy that knows his stuff. I wish him luck with CC. Business is business I guess. They come, and they go.

But, no self respecting ball player would ever leave the Red Sox and go to the Yankees.

My thoughts exactly.

The lack of professionalism with that “statement” that is the crux of the issue for me anyway. Loyalty of business to its employees and employees to business is not what it used to be. Most are simply sellouts to the highest willing to pay. The days when a player/employee will retire with the same team/company is a thing of the past.