Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 23 LSV factory cover fit


Recommended Posts

I know there are lots of you out there with new '21 23 LSVs.  I finally took delivery of ours yesterday and got her all set up on the boat lift in preparation for Memorial Day.  So this was the first time I've put the boat cover on myself.  The boat cover is an extremely tight fit, to the point where I cannot get the velcro at the tower base to connect on both sides of the boat.  If I velcro one side, there is not enough give around the base of the cover to allow the velcro to come together on the other side.  My dad and I fought it for about 30 mins and could not get it to go.  I had both ratchets on the back completely open/loose and all other straps undone, could not get the cover to come together on both sides.

Could it be that the cover already shrunk? Any issues from any of you other LSV owners? Mine is the CS cover.  Seems like a well designed cover but just doesn't quite fit properly.... :dontknow:

Link to post

Are the poles set too high and or do you have the hangtyte pulled tight already?

Our VTX cover is very tight too. I get it draped over the whole boat and over the transom. Then Velcro around the tower from the bottom up. That gives me the best leverage and slack. 

Link to post
CharlieBeaU

My factory cover on my 2017 23LSV is also tight. @ahopkinsVTX pretty much nailed what I do as well. Cover the whole boat and leave everything loose. I start at the top velcro/strap on the tower. I get it tight but not crazy tight. I work my way down on that side's tower velcro and straps. Go to the other side of the boat and repeat on that side. Then I tighten down the straps on the D rings in the back. Then I ratchet the main strap down. I slide 2 fingers behind the ratchet so the metal isn't banging against the boat as I tighten it down...it's OCD...I know.

I've towed with the cover on and it stays put for me although my preference is to tow with it off.

After putting the cover on the few times you'll get it down pat.

Congrats on the new boat! 

Link to post
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, dtb said:

I know there are lots of you out there with new '21 23 LSVs.  I finally took delivery of ours yesterday and got her all set up on the boat lift in preparation for Memorial Day.  So this was the first time I've put the boat cover on myself.  The boat cover is an extremely tight fit, to the point where I cannot get the velcro at the tower base to connect on both sides of the boat.  If I velcro one side, there is not enough give around the base of the cover to allow the velcro to come together on the other side.  My dad and I fought it for about 30 mins and could not get it to go.  I had both ratchets on the back completely open/loose and all other straps undone, could not get the cover to come together on both sides.

Could it be that the cover already shrunk? Any issues from any of you other LSV owners? Mine is the CS cover.  Seems like a well designed cover but just doesn't quite fit properly.... :dontknow:

May be a stupid question, but do you have any guide posts on your boat lift that could be pinching the cover?  I have them on my lift and they are tight against my rub rails and make it a PITA to get the cover on.  My back ratchet covers would not zip up and I got a new cover under warranty this year.  I do feel like my cover fits a little more snug than before in certain spots making it harder to get on.

28994B0A-130A-4D22-9F70-1A79CBC6B426.thumb.jpeg.e512f0d4d405e30b2fdb541163327332.jpeg

Edited by Hemmy
Link to post

@ahopkinsVTX@CharlieBeaUThanks for the replies guys.  I did not have the poles in place - did have the hangtyte "hung" on the tower but had that ratchet at the back loose, as well as the two ratchets for the main strap below the rubrail.  I spoke with the dealer and he said they like to velcro the sides up and then pull the cover down around the rub rail.  I'll give that a try, and maybe the cover will stretch out a bit with use.  We'll see....

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

I ordered a CS cover for my '07 VLX in January, and I still haven't received it... My old cover was still in great shape as it is hardly ever used, but it was the black factory cover and it bleeds onto the vinyl... We just had the whole interior recovered (only had a few bad spots after 14 summers) but I sure don't want the cover to bleed onto my new vinyl.... Is anyone else experiencing the long lead times for the CS covers? I am sure that it's probably a combination of material sourcing issues and labor (probably mostly labor)... 

Link to post
Justmikeyd
Posted (edited)

Have a 21 23LSV as well.  It is tight but if you work nose back it works.  (I.e. put the nose on, pull back to tower, hang the strap on the tower, Velcro and fasten around the tower, then go to back, you’ll have a tight cover, but it should work.  Over time the strap will stretch and it will get easier (if its anything like my last (non-Malibu) boat at least.)

Edited by Justmikeyd
Link to post

Mine is so tight that I fell in the freezing water trying to pull it over the rear corner!

 

 

 

 

Link to post
SouthsideBoarder

Now I’m not so sure about mine. Mine is so tight I can’t get the back on with the ratchets all the way loose. I cannot pull either corner over the back rub rail. 2018 23 LSV. Never been able to place it all the way on in 3 years of ownership. I’ve owned another Malibu cover and an evolution cover. Nothing like this cover from CS. I would like to think I’m not putting it on wrong but from discussion here I might be? The stitching in the back corners is coming apart trying to get it on. Even the dealer can’t but doesn’t do anything about it.

Link to post

I have an 2018 Axis with CS cover. My fisrt cover was super tight and hard to get on but overall fit was poor, VERY loose and kept working its way under bow roller and getting stuck.  After 2 to 3 years of back and forth my dealer finally got me a new one and its even harder to get on but the fit is better but still no where near as good as my 2012 cover. I am just happy to not have to bump the boat back on the trailer to get the cover off anymore. 

They seem to be making them from better materials but not really putting a good effort on the fit. 

Link to post
Five Cent Worth

Man, I must be the outlier here.  My '21 cover fits awesome.  I can put mine on with it in the water with limited effort by myself.  Granted, it is going to a dry rack so the level of "on and secure" is far from sitting outside in the wind and elements.  Love the loop around tower vs a pole. 

Try loosening the nose a bit.  

Also, do they design these to be towed with?  And hence the snug fit?

Link to post
Surf4FamFun

You probably have this worked out but just in case, based one a 2020 22 LSV and 2021 23 MXZ, the 2021 fits tighter around the tower, looser around the rub rail compared to the 2020, go figure.  Neither would more than half overlap the velcro 

flip over center pad that the front post will sit on so the post does not leave a mark

put cover over Bow

pull cover up to windshield 

close walk thru windshield

pull cover over windshield 

install bow post in middle 

battery off, t plug out if you do so

really turn the batter off, I tend to forget this if I am tired and it is dark, so reminding you in case you are as infirm as I am  :-)

pull back to tower leaving so you can reach from ground, move to ground and do velcro around tower(s), do not connect the strap that goes around the rub rail

back in boat do hanging strap LOOSE, I loosen this when I take the cover off

pull cover back to ballast lockers, then go under and put in rear center support post

at the stern with both ratchets loose (again I loosen completely when taking cover off) pull over rub rail

connect straps on both sides at tower under rub rail

tighten ratchets under rub rail across stern

tighten hanging strap

Ask your kids if everyone has their cell phone, loosen enough for smallest kid on trip to sneak in and get the phone that was left in some random holder.  Make sure you have your wallet from the glove box before they dive under cover just in case.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
8 hours ago, Surf4FamFun said:

You probably have this worked out but just in case, based one a 2020 22 LSV and 2021 23 MXZ, the 2021 fits tighter around the tower, looser around the rub rail compared to the 2020, go figure.  Neither would more than half overlap the velcro 

flip over center pad that the front post will sit on so the post does not leave a mark

put cover over Bow

pull cover up to windshield 

close walk thru windshield

pull cover over windshield 

install bow post in middle 

battery off, t plug out if you do so

really turn the batter off, I tend to forget this if I am tired and it is dark, so reminding you in case you are as infirm as I am  :-)

pull back to tower leaving so you can reach from ground, move to ground and do velcro around tower(s), do not connect the strap that goes around the rub rail

back in boat do hanging strap LOOSE, I loosen this when I take the cover off

pull cover back to ballast lockers, then go under and put in rear center support post

at the stern with both ratchets loose (again I loosen completely when taking cover off) pull over rub rail

connect straps on both sides at tower under rub rail

tighten ratchets under rub rail across stern

tighten hanging strap

Ask your kids if everyone has their cell phone, loosen enough for smallest kid on trip to sneak in and get the phone that was left in some random holder.  Make sure you have your wallet from the glove box before they dive under cover just in case.

 

I laughed at the very last point. Seems we always have to dive back in under one rear corner to fetch a forgotten phone.

Our 2021 cover is very tight as well, helps to leave back corners off until velcro and straps done up at sides. Then, pull back corners down and ratchet strap it up. Will loosen some over time.

Link to post
5 hours ago, TaylorM said:

I laughed at the very last point. Seems we always have to dive back in under one rear corner to fetch a forgotten phone.

So true!  LOL  Or I forget to turn of the blower.  Or the stereo.  Or, yeah, the phone.

Link to post

Glad I’m not the only one that has to go back under the cover to retrieve something I forgot.

Link to post
Five Cent Worth
11 minutes ago, Dsalyers said:

Glad I’m not the only one that has to go back under the cover to retrieve something I forgot.

Every.  Single.  Time.  LOL......

  • Like 3
Link to post
5 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Every.  Single.  Time.  LOL......

It is worse when I realize the item is missing - AFTER  I cover the boat and paddle home.  And it is moored offshore.  So have to grab the Zodiac, paddle out, etc.  Argh.

Link to post

We also struggled with the cover on our 2020 22 lsv.  We found that putting the cover on around the tower works best if you wrap it around the tower higher up and hook the velcro on both sides.  Once the cover velcro is set, then pull down the cover over the base of the tower.  Hook the straps at the rub rail, then pull the rest of the cover back over the boat and tighten the straps.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...