Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXI trailer

usnacs

I am ordering an 07 Response LXI. In photos of boats, I see some have 2 axle trailers and some single. The dealer thinks a single axle with no brakes is fine. I plan on hauling with a Sequoia and will do some trailering of about 2 hours. I have a spare tire included and like the idea of easier manueverability of the single axle, but am concerned about the brakes. Also, I am getting the cover. Is it OK to haul it with the cover on. I have heard it can bang on the gelcoat. Any ideas?

I don't think that your dealer is wrong but I prefer a dual axle trailer. I like the security of having a couple of extra trires in case I ever have a blowout. I bought an RLXi about ane year ago and I opted to go with the dual axle and brakes.

I think you would like the ride of a tandem axle trailer better and the brakes just for a safety factor. Check with your dealer, IIRC the cost of a T/A trailer versus a single with no brakes is less than 2K.

No brakes? You are joking, right? Maybe if you are like me and you trailer twice a year, and live a mile from the boat launch (and I still wouldn't buy a trailer without brakes). But if you are trailering 2 hours at a time, you most definitely want that extra weight to come with extra braking assist. All you need to do is have someone stop short in front of you, or come into a curve a little hot, and you are going to be screwed. All it takes is once.

Based on the size/rating of the trailer I don't think they can build that trailer without at a minimum surge brakes (hydraulic drum). Is the dealer offering an option on the trailer to upgrade to Disc Brakes?

You do not ever want to haul an RLxi on a trailer without brakes (surge/drum or disc). Ohterwise you may end up in a real mess Cry.gif

BTW...I have a 05 RLxi on a single axle and really like the added maneuverability it offers over a tandem axle.

Trailer brakes are a must!!! IMO it doesn't matter if you drag it 1/4 mile to the boat ramp or 200 miles to your lake house you need trailer brakes. Think about it, what if a kid in your neighborhood runs out into the road without looking and and you need to stop fast or a car pulls out in front of you on the e-way and you need to slow down. Bottom line if you are going 20 mph in the neighborhood or 70 mph on the e-way if you need to stop in a hurry you need all the stopping power you can have. The brakes on 99% of SUV's and pickups on the road today aren't strong enough to stop the truck and extra weight of a boat and trailer. Sorry but that's my little rant, I've seen several bad trailer accidents due to not being able to stop fast enough.

Single or tandem axles are a personal peference thing. I do more long haul trips and like the tandems. It pulls nicer, tracks behind the truck better and does give a small safety factor in case of a blow out because of having the extra axle. It really depend on how much towing you are going to do. Oh and note that one down side it that tandems are harder to manuver in tight parking spots.

Bottom line enjoy the new boat when you get it. Congrats!

Trailer brakes are a must!!! IMO it doesn't matter if you drag it 1/4 mile to the boat ramp or 200 miles to your lake house you need trailer brakes. Think about it, what if a kid in your neighborhood runs out into the road without looking and and you need to stop fast or a car pulls out in front of you on the e-way and you need to slow down. Bottom line if you are going 20 mph in the neighborhood or 70 mph on the e-way if you need to stop in a hurry you need all the stopping power you can have. The brakes on 99% of SUV's and pickups on the road today aren't strong enough to stop the truck and extra weight of a boat and trailer. Sorry but that's my little rant, I've seen several bad trailer accidents due to not being able to stop fast enough.

Single or tandem axles are a personal peference thing. I do more long haul trips and like the tandems. It pulls nicer, tracks behind the truck better and does give a small safety factor in case of a blow out because of having the extra axle. It really depend on how much towing you are going to do. Oh and note that one down side it that tandems are harder to manuver in tight parking spots.

Bottom line enjoy the new boat when you get it. Congrats!

Thanks everyone for the info. I do not know why he said no brakes was OK. I will definitely add the brakes. I have never owned a boat like this so I need the help. Any commentn on towing with the Malibu cover on? I do not want to damage the finish of the boat if it is possible from the cover.

Towing with the cover on - unless you have a "trailable" cover, take it off to tow. While it does keep some road debris out of your boat, it's really hard on a cover to tow it with a 60-70mph wind beating on it. I have the factory cover and will put in on the boat in inclimate weather to tow it. But in good weather, I tow it with it off. I am sure you will receive many different opinions.

Dealer is dead wrong on the brakes. I tow my Sunsetter LXi with my Sequoia, so I can provide relevant insight.

Once my actuator for the brakes seized. To get home, I cut the lines to the disk brakes back by the tires to release the brakes. Let me tell you, with the brakes disabled, getting home was quite the experience. Total night and day difference versus when they are working. And I didn't encounter any emergency stopping situations. I'd go with brakes, and make sure they are discs.

And it's a single axle trailer, boat probably weighs more than a Response, and I don't have any problems with it, but I'd be hesitant to tow any real distances. I tow a few miles in Florida to the ramp (i.e. no hills)

I think the engineering of most vehicles states that if the trailer and cargo weigh more than 1000# than you need trailer brakes. RLXi weighs in at like 2500# dry plus trailer at ~1000# plus gear -- I think you already got that message.

I have a single axle trailer but I go about 1/4 mile twice a year to the boat ramp. If I was going to trailer any distance I'd do the tandem. Plus it certainly looks a lot better.

I don't know what state you are in but I would almost guarantee that towing an Rlxi without brakes is illegal and you would be liable in an accident (not to mention that your insurance company might balk at covering you w/o brakes).

As far as tandem vs. single axle, if you need to manuever the trailer by hand, go with the single axle. If not, go with the dual axle trailer. With the dual axle, if you have a tire go flat or a wheel bearing lock up, you can remove that wheel and still make it home on the other three (carefully!!!_). And, I agree, it does look cooler than the single axle.

I doubt you can even buy a trailer w/o brakes for ski boats. I pull my trailer around my yard alot and w/ the tandem axles it tears up my lawn pretty good when making sharp turns. the tandem also does not respond very well when maneuvering in tight spots. My dealer tried to talk me into a single, but doing alot of long hauls I wanted and went with the tandem. No regrets there. Price was $2750 w/ 4 wheel discs verses 2350 for a single w/ disc brakes.

Just 'cause I like to learn at least one new thing a day and so far today's been a bit slow...I've got a Reponse LX w/ single axle trailer, surge brakes only. Is that adequate, or are the discs really recommended? I don't do much long trailering and basically flat terrain. Can you upgrade the brakes to disc on an existing trailer, or do you have to buy it new that way?

Surge brakes come in either drum or disc, you're saying that yours are drum? If so, yes you can upgrade them to disc, not sure what the cost would be though. Maintenance is easier long term on disc brakes (changing pads is waaaaay easier than on drum), but I'm not sure if the benefits would outweight the cost of conversion. Me, if I change anything about the braking system on our trailer, it would be to go to electric brakes. Our truck is already set up with the controller, so the trailer would need to be converted. Electric trailer brakes pull soooooo much nicer than the surge variety.

WG beat me to the post... You should be fine for your stated needs. I often tow through the hills of Ky on twisty windy back roads with about the same load and have been fine with properly tuned surge drum brakes. I looked into the disc upgrade 4 years ago or so. If I remember right, the cost was about $800 -> 1K depending on which parts I used. You'd need both a disc brake kit & a new actuator as discs take much higher line pressure. You'll also need a 5 pin wiring harness to support the electric lock-out when you back up the trailer. So if your brakes & actuator go at the same time, you might want to look at upgrading then. I have a friend that swore by electric brakes, used them on his previous trailer. Couldn't get them on his new trailer that came with his new boat, but is content with the surge discs.

As everyone has pointed out, having brakes is a must. I agree. I tow a 06 response with a disk brakes on a duel axle set up and the ride is pretty good. Single axles are definitely easier to maneuver, so if you have tight areas to turn around in you might go with the single axle, else I'd go with the duel axle.

As another thought I'm sure you tried several boats before you bought yours. Why should the trailer be any different? Ask the dealer if you can tow with any boat he has...one with single axle and one with a duel axle. That will probably tell you everything you need to know.