Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Questions on new RLXI

bareftskier

My best friend is ordering a new RLXI and wanted me to go over his options list. As most of us know, ordering a new one is an awesome experience, but helping someone else spend their $$$ is almost as much fun.

Anyway, it's been a few years since I got mine and there are some things that I don't know.

1.) What is a custom sport shroud?

2.) He's selected Silent Riders and silent tips. Is this necessary? I assumed normal mufflers and silent tips would be sufficient.

3.) The dealer has an Illusion X on his quote. I thought that was a custom, one off, type of thing. Is that tower now readily available on the RLXI?

Thanks for the input.

Chris

My best friend is ordering a new RLXI and wanted me to go over his options list. As most of us know, ordering a new one is an awesome experience, but helping someone else spend their $$$ is almost as much fun.

Anyway, it's been a few years since I got mine and there are some things that I don't know.

2.) He's selected Silent Riders and silent tips. Is this necessary? I assumed normal mufflers and silent tips would be sufficient.

3.) The dealer has an Illusion X on his quote. I thought that was a custom, one off, type of thing. Is that tower now readily available on the RLXI?

Thanks for the input.

Chris

I've heard that the mufflers and Cats on the new boats really degrade the performance- order them and you can always remove the mufflers and see what the difference is vs the trade off of added noise.

Check that tower and see how far back past the pylon it extends- if shortline slalom is what your buddy is after the end of the tower needs to not extend past the pylon otherwise your rope will be baning against the pylon.

Good luck and that sounds like fun!

Thanks for the input.

Chris

1.) Sports shroud - Color matching dash.

2.) With both, boat will be very quite inside or outside.

3.) Tower, Titan 3 or the mini from Xtreme.

Re sound insulation. I don't know if motor box insulation is standard equipment now or not...... but if it isn't, I'd suggest considering. Really drops interior sound levels.

Although many of us have added ourselves, it's a bit of a pain in the but. Sure you can do it for a bit less money.... but why not let the factory do it.

If you're doing lots of slalom, you may want to consider adding a Launch Seat to match the interior. (This is NOT the seat that sits between the observer and the driver.)

Thanks guys.

The sport shroud had me baffled.

I agree with you, Onamission, about the towers. But, in the end it's personal preference. I do think the Illusions are cool looking.

Motorbox insulation is still an option, but one that was checked long ago. Mine has it, and I wouldn't want one without it.

Thanks again

If your buddy wants stainless tips, I would recommend getting the HPE option and skipping the upgraded mufflers. The Cats make the boat fairly quiet anyway, and you're just going to add more back pressure with all those silencer options.

Skicrave,

Yes, it will have a monsoon. That is the answer I was looking for. It seemed overkill to me.

Wakegirl,

Our Ohio climate necessitates all heating options.

Thanks all.

So you got the heated driver's seat right?

Hello everyone,

I'm the guy with the money that Bareftskier is working so diligently to spend. Not a problem though, if you are going to go you might as well go BIG, right? After the first $50K what is another 5 or 10. Any help explaining that to my wife would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, WakeGirl, I don't have the heated seats selected at this time, is that a mistake?

Hey, bereftskier, what do you mean "shortline isn't an issue"? A few dozen less beers and a few dozen more sets on the lake and who knows what could happen, probably not likely though.

Thank you all for your input.

Jerry

So you got the heated driver's seat right?

Hello everyone,

I'm the guy with the money that Bareftskier is working so diligently to spend. Not a problem though, if you are going to go you might as well go BIG, right? After the first $50K what is another 5 or 10. Any help explaining that to my wife would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, WakeGirl, I don't have the heated seats selected at this time, is that a mistake?

Hey, bereftskier, what do you mean "shortline isn't an issue"? A few dozen less beers and a few dozen more sets on the lake and who knows what could happen, probably not likely though.

Thank you all for your input.

Jerry

Yes, get the heated seat, it's worth every penny. :) And yes, if you are a footer that has a need for speed, then consider the Hammerhead.

JPN, For short money the factory can add a second heater unit under the passenger's dash with snorkels pointing at the passenger's feet. Here in NH that is a MUST HAVE. THe standard 3 port heater puts 2 vents at the driver's feet and 1 snorkel on the driver's side of the walk thru that barely reaches the near passenger. I have had 3 RLXis and had it on all 3..... {A buddy of mine even put one in the back for the rear seat passengers on his SLXi}

Chrome Ski Pylon is great bling depending on your color choice.

Depending on your docking needs, pop up cleats are something to consider.

Silent Riders and STE Tips worked well for me last year, will be doing that again for '07. I did not notice any loss of power. Maybe Peter @ Smoothwater can chime in on that.

If you will be skiing in a course, consider PerfectPass. Else the Malibu Speed Control will work fine.

I also hear nothing mentioned about a Wedge? In my case, there is no need but if you will be pulling wakeboarders on that tower it is mandatory!

If you're not opting for the wedge or a supression plate then at least have the factory install the mounting plate on the boat so if you want to put either on in the future, you can.

Thank You,

This is awesome feedback guys and gals, I really appreciate it.

As far as the HH goes I was only looking at getting the Monsoon but am reconsidering given the feedback. Most of my footing recently has been off a shortline on the boom but I am hoping to do a lot more long line work with this new ride. Shortline I am doing front ones, toes, toe-up, back, back ones, back-to-fronts, back toes (not quite but close), front-to-backs (only when I want a major crash).

I am also getting the power wedge. I have three boys ages 8, 5 and 3 who have all decided in the last year that they are wakeboarders. I used to hate pulling these things because you guys (wakeboarders) go forever. Now I have as much fun pulling my boys behind the boat as I do skiing and footing, funny kids will do that to you if you let them. Anyway they love the wakeboard and if the rumors are true about the wake behind the new LXI it will not be worth a darn for them without a wedge.

Thanks again

Jerry

Great to have another footer on board Jerry. We're a dying breed you know.

Sounds like you usually have a crew on board....another reason to justify the engine upgrade especially for footing.

Edited by Tom Sawyer

The heater is a must. Got one in my 06 lxi and its great. Depending on how cold is is where you ski in the morning, and if you're having the boat built, you may want to consider having one of the tubes from the heater pushed up thru the dash to act as a defroster on the windshield. Wish I had one!

Heated Seats???? You don't need that, your from Ohio, where men are men! :)

I would get the heater option though. You buying from No Wake?

Hi from Aus,

I am finalising an order for an 07 Rlxi in Australia at present and am not sure on the tower issue raised here. Is the Illusion tower going to be an issue when slalom skiing or is the Titan 3 a better choice for this? Does the Titan 3 mount on the deck behind the windscreen? We will be using our boat for social barefooting, slalom, wakeboarding and training on the boom occasionally. Any advice & assistance will be appreciated. Great site, cheers Ian J. ;)