Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Picklefork, aka Two Pronged Bow

88Skier

I like that . You're going to need a long line to ski behind that one.

Thats OK...leave the long ski line on shore, yer arms will be long enough to clear the spray .02 seconds after he hits it. :)

The only pickle fork in the MC lineup that I think looks good is the center console fishing boat. I know it sounds weird, but I think that fishing boat is pretty cool looking.

The only pickle fork in the MC lineup that I think looks good is the center console fishing boat. I know it sounds weird, but I think that fishing boat is pretty cool looking.

I don't get the attraction of the pickleforks either, but MasterCraft is selling a bunch of 'em, even added a new one to their lineup last year (X-2) and another new one this year (CsX). Their marketing department isn't totally incompetent, so there must be some sales advantage or that design would have gone away years ago.

Edited by Big Mac

Plus1.gif

yep, that one caught my eye

Picklefork owners who post on other websites (especially the Tomcat owners) claim that the design makes their boats much less prone to swamping the front end. Don't know if this is true, but this is what they are claiming. I still don't care for the look, either, and will stick with my classic 'Bu.

As an 05 X-Star owner, I can tell you it swamps the front end easier than any boat I have been in before. i love the boat, and everything else about it, but if you are not paying attention you will take a bunch of water over the front and get very ugly stares from those sitting up there.... ROFL.gif

I'm thinking the trend has more to do with style than function.

i liked it when MC was the only one that had it. i am the kind of person that likes to be different. so that is also why i dont want BU to go with it.

Ok, I went to the boat show in Pleasanton last night with Andy (Chathamsolutions). I looked at all the pickle fork boats and here are my thoughts. The Tige is really ugly in my opinion and not sure what you are gaining with the pickle fork on that boat. It looks like an afterthought not a design concept. The Tomcat was way better looking in person than in pictures, but I still dont understand why the forks on the front extend out so far and why they wasted the space up there in between the forks. I liked it way better than the Tige. I still like my X-Star, but I am biased. One of the best things about the front of my boat as silly as it sounds is the ladder in the pickle fork front. I regularly have 6-10 kids under the age of 14 on my boat who always want to swim in between boarders and when ever we stop. it is really nice with a full boat for them to just drop the ladder off the front and jump in and swim up there rather than coming back through the boat to get out and then back through the boat getting everyone all wet when they are done swimming. Also in the front of the boat they are not in the way of the people getting ready to ride. None of this is a good enought reason to buy a pickle-fork boat, but if you are going to have one, at least get that extra functionality out of it....

Actually, that does sound like a very functional use. Not that I would buy one, but I can picture the scenario you described and it sounds like fun for everyone.

Oh, and my condolences. No one should have to experience a boat show with Andy. ;)

As Audi would put it it is better to lead than follow. :)

I can respect the 03+ X-star for being the first wake specific inboard of that design, but the copycats (tige and tomcat) I'm not so sure I care about. Although I hear really good things about the tomcat...

I for one hope Malibu stays far away from the Pickle-fork look.

In my opinion I have the best boat/wake out there and would hate to have someone mess with it.

1markman,

Would you please give me some insight how to best weight an X-star? In Tennessee some of our tournaments pull with an X-star for the Expert division and they never have the boat loaded right, everyone always complains about the wake. I am assuming their is a way to get a better wake from this boat.

Currently they fill factory ballast and load it up with people. Where should they place most of the people?

Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by carrera2

Carrera2, according to some discussions with Travis Moye, (of the boarding school) they load that thing up with 6000lbs of weight total for a worldclass wake. Search on WW for x star threads in the boats and accesories forum for more detail.

The common complaint I hear from the expert and outlaw division is the event peeps typically put too much weight in the bow; the result being a rampy wake. I am assuming this is becuase the bow can already hold close to 4 people which is a good amount of weight alreadyl; when you add lead to that it really mellows out the wake lip. Try putting lead in the back compartments to give more of a kick to it.

Fly High makes specific sacs to replace the hard tanks on the x star so I would give them a call.