Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone trade the m235 for the new m240


Recommended Posts

I have a 2018 m235 with 175 hours on it.   It’s a high spec 244k MSRP.   Wondering if anyone out there has traded on the new m240 and if so what are the meaningful improvements.   I like the idea of bow thrusters as an option as my docking is a tough one. I understand the computer is a little different but now sure if that would be worth it to upgrade

i also have to imagine I would take quite a hit on $. 

Link to post

Hi RCorsa,

While I have never traded in an M235 I have had 2 M240's. One quick clarification; Malibu offers stern-turn, an electrical device that allows you to turn the stern of the boat with a button on the throttle. MC offers bow thrusters. Same-same I figure. 

While we all know this is not a great time to buy a boat, dealers are also being generous with trade-in allowances. Not a "push" but dealers are really wanting inventory to replace inventory so that should work in your favor. 

Last item, and you have very likely thought of this. PLEASE water test your M240. And, include both surf pulls in your test drive and long runs at about 20 Mph. I suggest this because my first M240 pulled hard to starboard. Not initially, which is odd, but after a long run and it just got worse. There are threads here that speak to this problem. Not all M240's have this problem but some 2020's and some 2021's do. 

Chris

Link to post
Surf4FamFun

I did a good bit of reading on steering thrusters.  Malibu OEM's Stern-Turn from https://www.ezdrivethruster.com and they have aftermarket kits for most surf boats.  Unless MC has corrected the issue there is a limit on how long the thrusters can run due to heat buildup, the EZ Drive units are submerged under the swim platform and don't overheat with heavy use.  We ordered a boat with the factory install but from what the guy at EZ Drive says lots of dealers (both BU & MC) do installs.  The factory build includes a 170 AMP alternator that is not an absolute requirement but the motor pulls 243 AMPS when running so it can't hurt.  If maneuvering is your primary complaint don't see how an aftermarket install would not be an option to consider.  The guy at the factory spent 15 min with me playing 40 questions about the product and pro/con of dealer vs. aftermarket, nice guy.  Interesting business story, they were building for Yacht size boats and stumbled on the wake boat market.  Sounds like it has been a good fit for what they do.

On the trade in issue we bought a 22 LSV last year and put 100 hours on it, are now trading in on a 23 MXZ.  Factoring in the new boat and discount on it we are doing better than I could do selling private based on what people are asking in the private market.  This despite the fact that our original boat was lightly optioned.

Link to post

Thanks for the advice. Didn’t know aftermarket thrusters could be done.  I’ll check that out. So aside from that option it’s doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade?  Only other good thing about my m235 is I have all the early gremlins out of my boat (slow pump, squeaking tower, various rattles,etc) 

Link to post
13 hours ago, RCorsa said:

Thanks for the advice. Didn’t know aftermarket thrusters could be done.  I’ll check that out. So aside from that option it’s doesn’t sound like much of an upgrade?  Only other good thing about my m235 is I have all the early gremlins out of my boat (slow pump, squeaking tower, various rattles,etc) 

You couldnt pay me enough to put a stern thruster on an M235.

And we did one. Absolute PITA. No room to work in those boats (probably should remove the motor). And you WILL need the Indmar high output alternator, which they charge way to much for and has a different bracket, and belt that needs changed. 

 

Edited by COOP
Link to post
On 3/27/2021 at 8:27 AM, Chrismoe said:

Hi RCorsa,

While I have never traded in an M235 I have had 2 M240's. One quick clarification; Malibu offers stern-turn, an electrical device that allows you to turn the stern of the boat with a button on the throttle. MC offers bow thrusters. Same-same I figure. 

While we all know this is not a great time to buy a boat, dealers are also being generous with trade-in allowances. Not a "push" but dealers are really wanting inventory to replace inventory so that should work in your favor. 

Last item, and you have very likely thought of this. PLEASE water test your M240. And, include both surf pulls in your test drive and long runs at about 20 Mph. I suggest this because my first M240 pulled hard to starboard. Not initially, which is odd, but after a long run and it just got worse. There are threads here that speak to this problem. Not all M240's have this problem but some 2020's and some 2021's do. 

Chris

Malibu did offer a bow jet thruster on their bigger boats in ~2019. I don't think they built many boats with this option and it was quickly replaced with the Side Thruster SX unit(Stern Turn.) I know someone posted on here about their 24MXZ with the bow thruster and the install took up a ton of storage space and looked messy.

Edited by gregtay
Link to post
27 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Malibu did offer a bow jet thruster on their bigger boats in ~2019. I don't think they built many boats with this option and it was quickly replaced with the Side Thruster SX unit(Stern Turn.) I know someone posted on here about their 24MXZ with the bow thruster and the install took up a ton of storage space and looked messy.

I dont think the bow thruster was ever an option on the M235. We sold one on a MXZ24. The pump and battery to run it took up alot of room under the port side storage, and under the OB. And they didnt really work as good as the stern thrusters.

Edited by COOP
Link to post
42 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Malibu did offer a bow jet thruster on their bigger boats in ~2019. I don't think they built many boats with this option and it was quickly replaced with the Side Thruster SX unit(Stern Turn.) I know someone posted on here about their 24MXZ with the bow thruster and the install took up a ton of storage space and looked messy.

Hi Gregtay,

Thanks for the clarification.

Chris

Link to post
4 hours ago, COOP said:

I dont think the bow thruster was ever an option on the M235. We sold one on a MXZ24. The pump and battery to run it took up alot of room under the port side storage, and under the OB. And they didnt really work as good as the stern thrusters.

I was really surprised Malibu even had this option, I don't think they ever marketed it, it just sort of showed up and then went away.  Sounds like it was overly complicated for what it did.

Link to post

@RCorsa My 2 cents.  I came from a SC 25LSV so not ideal for your comparisons but hopefully some relevance.   We did spend a day on a M235 we were considering.

Notable improvement over 25.

Ballast fill time- biggest improvement for us as we tend to change ballast frequently for kid waves and floating/cruising between surf sets. 8-10 min+ to 2 min for full fill.

No PnP ballast bags- increase rear storage

Stereo in stock forms is significantly better

Engine Noise Level, power and fuel consumption - all much improved

Rough water ride- likely similar to that of the 235 but much better than the 25.

Wave has much more push than the 25 and limited time I spent on the 235.  It is steeper- took some time to tweak for kids wave to get some of the push out for lighter riders.  

Have stern turn and only use it to get new/young riders on the correct side - wife loads and she uses in wind to align to trailer a bit- crosses me up on docking so I don't use it for that.

 

Best

 

  • Like 1
Link to post

I traded a 2017 M235 for 2020 M240.  
 

Pros:

Half the fuel consumption

better wave and more adjustable

surfgate fusion makes a difference 

Ride slight improvement 

stern turn is nice for docking and turning to get a surfer

drives straighter when surfing

ballast fill and empty times more than twice as fast

no bags is nice


Cons: price 

I would do it again even with the money difference.

Edited by potterm
Added more info
  • Like 3
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...