Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery - Option 3 Question

I just picked up my 2021 23 LSV and have a question about Battery setup Option 3.  My last LSV had that option, but the battery switch had another setting.  This one just has Off, On, and Combine.  So I'm just wanting to make sure that this is the same as Option 3 that will not drain the engine start battery if you just sitting listening to music for a while.

So is this the right battery switch?

spacer.png

Battery option one is a single battery on/off switch.

Battery option two is off/batt1/batt2/1+2. 

Battery option three, what you have pictured here, is off/batt1/1+2(combined). Its a good option as you can only run down one battery. 

Edited by COOP
1 hour ago, COOP said:

Battery option one is a single battery on/off switch.

Battery option two is off/batt1/batt2/1+2. 

Battery option three, what you have pictured here, is off/batt1/1+2(combined). Its a good option as you can only run down one battery. 

Great.  I was hoping to hear that.  I must have had Option 2 (not 3) on my old LSV.

3 hours ago, COOP said:

is off/batt1/1+2(combined)

This is not 100% correct and may lead to confusion. 

The pictured switch does not have a "batt-1" position. Its "ON" and connect both banks to their perspective loads. Its a dual pole switch one "turns on" both "batteries" at the same time. This is why its labeled as ON and not "1"

And both batteries can be run down if the switch is in the COMBINE position, just an FYI

Surf4FamFun

This makes more sense based on what I was told about this option if you are saying what I think you are.  I looked this up in the manual and it does not seem to be documented there.

When in the "ON" position battery 1 is dedicated to the engine starting and battery 2 is connected to the radio and other non starting loads.  When the engine is running it charges either or both batteries as needed.  In this position the stereo can not run down the cranking battery.  If there is a problem with the cranking battery then you can "combine" them for more cranking amps.  And if you want to live dangerously you can use the combine position all the time and risk not cranking after a long floating jam session.

With the off/1/1+2/2 switch you can keep from running down but one of the batteries at a time but only the selected battery charges which can make keeping both batteries at full change a little tricky and requires changing the battery switch position as you change activities.  I would think that changing the battery selector switch on a running motor would be a bit risky unless the switch was designed so that there was always a battery connected during switching which may be the case.

I ordered battery option 3 on our boat understanding how it worked but never thought about how the switch would be labeled.

That’s why I always order battery options 2. Less confusing, 2 batteries, and save some coin!

That's exactly why I always order Option 3. The only time I ever have to touch that switch is turning it to Off when puttiing the boat away and connecting the onboard charger. The relay will always insure I have a full starting battery if left on 1 (the way it was designed to work)