Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

? about draining water out of motor

durrettsyndrome

Hey guys im new to boats and this is my 1st winter with one. I have a 98 malibu sportster with a carbed vortec 350 that i am winterizing. I know there are 4 drains plugs total in the motor ( 2 in block, 2 in malifold). I located the plug on the passanger side of the block and drained about a bucket of water. I also drained both manifolds with about 1/2 bucket each. My ? is that on the driver side of the motor i cant seem to find the 4th plug. I have a bolt on that side that appears to have like a wing nut on it but i wasnt sure what it was. Thanks for the help were expecting below freezing temp in about 3 days :(

Edited by durrettsyndrome
Hey guys im new to boats and this is my 1st winter with one. I have a 98 malibu sportster with a carbed vortec 350 that i am winterizing. I know there are 4 drains plugs total in the motor ( 2 in block, 2 in malifold). I located the plug on the passanger side of the block and drained about a bucket of water. I also drained both manifolds with about 1/2 bucket each. My ? is that on the driver side of the motor i cant seem to find the 4th plug. I have a bolt on that side that appears to have like a wing nut on it but i wasnt sure what it was. Thanks for the help were expecting below freezing temp in about 3 days :(

The "wing nut" probably is what is called a petcock, like a lot of radiators have at the bottom to drain. Scew it in & water should come out. These drains should be at the center of the block (from front to back) & just above the oil pan.

You got it. The other side probably broke and was replaced by a bolt. If no water comes out, try poking with a wire, it could be blocked by rust deposites and other garbage.

I'm not sure if this will help, but this is an article I made up winterizing my Sporty. If you click on the pictures you can see them.

Click HERE

Better not run out of antifreeze, or else you should add a final step to replace your raw impeller :Doh: ... you dont need to have the engine running, put your funnel in the hose right after the raw impeller and keep your funnel higher than the block. You will have to rotate temporarly the hose at the transmission cooler by loosening the hose clamp first.

Basically, fog engine while engine running (boat in water or use fake a lake type device), drain block (4 plugs as stated) as well as heater and shower if you have one. Fill heater and shower with antifreeze using the hoses with a funnel. Put antifreeze in block via hose between raw impeller and transmission cooler until antifreeze comes out of the mufflers. (4 gallons should be enough)

If you don't go the antifreeze route, disconnect the hoses that go to the bottom of the exhaust manifolds.

I also disconnect the hose that goes from the impeller to the trans cooler.

Lets see what else...

you should be able to do a search and find the correct method for winterizing without antifreeze. I go off a written list that i don't have right now.

It helps to lube the threads of the exhaust drain plugs after you have them out. mine rusted up pretty good in the month between October and when I recomissioned it for a last run around Thanksgiving.

Don't just turn that wingnut, pull the whole thing out. Those things get clogged up way to easily and may not let all the water drain out of the block. Next spring I would replace it with a regular 9/16 drain plug. Also always poke something up into those drain holes to loosen up any junk that is plugging the hole.

Chris

What I do is I fill it up with anti-freeze until I see it go out the drain plugs and close them back up one at a time when antifreeze poors out just to make sure. Your right 99response about the cloging. I believe they only put that in the 1998 and 1999 because my buddy has a 2000 and it has the regular plugs.

I also hit the drains, all 4 of them with a shop vac to pull any pockets of water out gravity don't get. I do get some too, about a qt.(liter) out of each block drain and less out of exhaust.

sweet thanks for the info i took got it out and yea that wingnut is a joke. When i removed the bolt sooo much more water poured out. Do you guys know where i can buy those plugs because they are in bad shape so im just gonna replace it. Thanks for all the info