Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ever pull carpet and have to scrape glue? Try this.


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, UWSkier said:

When I pulled my carpet out, I was dreading the scraping/cleanup process to get the yucky dried glue off the floor.  Then I remembered my cheap Harbor Freight Oscillating Tool came with a scraper blade.  Figured it was worth a shot.  I did the whole boat in about 30 mins with this thing!  Amazing how fast it came up with this little guy doing the dirty work.  Apologies for the aspect ratio.  Shot on phone on a bit of a whim.

 

That's awesome!!  

 

What are you putting down ?  You should do a thread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
52 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Think of how much better it would work if you'd bought the $599 Snap-On version. Get what you pay for.

Yeah.  Would appreciate that whole "go fetch me a beer" feature.  :)

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

That's awesome!!  

 

What are you putting down ?  You should do a thread.

I'm doing the fake deckadence stuff.  Most of the work I'm doing is invisible (injectors, fuel lines, strut bushing, exhaust hoses).  The only obvious change will be the floor, which is why I didn't think a thread would be that interesting. 

Link to post
6 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I'm doing the fake deckadence stuff.  Most of the work I'm doing is invisible (injectors, fuel lines, strut bushing, exhaust hoses).  The only obvious change will be the floor, which is why I didn't think a thread would be that interesting. 

10-4.  Understood.  Are you going to put a coating on the floor prior to the decadence?  I ask because my RLXi will be needing similar treatment in the coming years and I have been debating decadence and gatorstep or a like product.

Link to post

Nice.  I bought a cheap oscillating tool a couple weeks ago for this exact purpose as well (after seeing another youtube video).  The ultimate plan is to do SeaDeck (or equivalent) in my Tantrum but I'll see how it goes... we are quickly approaching ski season in my neck of the woods and I don't want to have the boat apart.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Slayer said:

10-4.  Understood.  Are you going to put a coating on the floor prior to the decadence?  I ask because my RLXi will be needing similar treatment in the coming years and I have been debating decadence and gatorstep or a like product.

I am going to do like @ROFF and glass the low spots a bit, then probably hit it with a neutral colored primer so the orange glass doesn't show through my porous faux deckadence.  Didn't go with Gatorstep due to the amount of prep required.  Nice thing about the pool mats is you just have to get the floor into an OK condition, then drop the mats down and it looks nice.  This is prime ski season out here and I want to get things back together soon.  Last part is going to be waiting for my repaired gunnel nets to come back from Wisconsin.  I shipped those off to my mom to sew a new piece of nylon webbing across the top where the old one had frayed and come apart.  She should get to that next week.  :)

 

Link to post
26 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

I am going to do like @ROFF and glass the low spots a bit, then probably hit it with a neutral colored primer so the orange glass doesn't show through my porous faux deckadence.  Didn't go with Gatorstep due to the amount of prep required.  Nice thing about the pool mats is you just have to get the floor into an OK condition, then drop the mats down and it looks nice.  This is prime ski season out here and I want to get things back together soon.  Last part is going to be waiting for my repaired gunnel nets to come back from Wisconsin.  I shipped those off to my mom to sew a new piece of nylon webbing across the top where the old one had frayed and come apart.  She should get to that next week.  :)

 

Got it.  Makes sense.  

I know the gatorstep requires some effort to get the substrate right, but it's awesome and looks great.  Fortunately, I'm not yet in need.  I have a few more years yet.  

Link to post

Yeah Gatorstep et al will require sanding the whole floor done and then epoxy on top or something to level it and make smooth.  It's a bunch of work....

Link to post
3 hours ago, Slayer said:

Got it.  Makes sense.  

I know the gatorstep requires some effort to get the substrate right, but it's awesome and looks great.  Fortunately, I'm not yet in need.  I have a few more years yet.  

Your floor is an updated construction method so it may be in a bit better shape with less sagging.  That's easier to prep.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...