Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Up-Grade for our Sporty???

Frank

What do you do with your Sporty? :unsure: Foot? Thumbup.gif Slalom? Clap.gif Wakeboard? :( Tube? Crazy.gif

You have a 13X13 on there on...Nibral? CNC'd? SS?

What change in performance are your looking for? Low-end when loaded down? Smooth pull through the course? More top end?

I have a 13 X 12 OJ XMP (CNC'd) 3 blade on my Sporty and love it for slalom but I lost a lit bit of top end when I took off the 13 x 14 four blade.

What do you do with your Sporty? :unsure: Foot? Thumbup.gif Slalom? Clap.gif Wakeboard? :( Tube? Crazy.gif

You have a 13X13 on there on...Nibral? CNC'd? SS?

What change in performance are your looking for? Low-end when loaded down? Smooth pull through the course? More top end?

I have a 13 X 12 OJ XMP (CNC'd) 3 blade on my Sporty and love it for slalom but I lost a lit bit of top end when I took off the 13 x 14 four blade.

I am looking for a little better top end for barefootin. Starts are not a problem. We successfully got 6 up with two's this past summer but with some spectators and footing I am toping out at 47/48. I would like to get 50 plus. My feet aren't growing any more but my belly is.

Who did the 13x14 4-blade work for you?

Four-blade is not the way you want to go for top end. You didn't answer Mike's question with regard to current prop. Are you by chance running the SS CVP?

Four-blade is not the way you want to go for top end. You didn't answer Mike's question with regard to current prop. Are you by chance running the SS CVP?

Yes I believe so, it is the manufacturers standard issue, stainless but not certain how to verify it as a CVP.

Is there any markings of the prop?

Frank

I've got an 03 Sporty with the carb engine and a 13x12 acme. Hole shot is very quick and top end is 48-49 at 5100-5200 rpm. I would like to go to a 13x12.625 or a 13x13 3 blade acme, but haven't decided which to go with. Bill Weeks suggested staying with the 13x12, unless I needed more speed for barefooting, then go with a 13x12.625. Galaxy Toad says 13x13 would be great.

Yes I believe so, it is the manufacturers standard issue, stainless but not certain how to verify it as a CVP.

Is there any markings of the prop?

Frank

Probably stamped on the hub of the prop. As others have said, going with an ACME 3 blade of similar pitch may get you some top end while maintaining hole-shot (due to more surface area of blades). Talking to Bill at ACME is a very good suggestion.

I'd go 13x12 5/8 ACME

I think it is an end of year 98, but I would have to check the serial number. The dealer did an engine swap to the FI-Monsoon.

What is the difference of the ACME prop? Will the ACME 13x13 perform better than other 13's?

An acme 13X13 will have bigger ears than your cvp 13X13. Thus your engine may lack the torque to spin it to the necessary rpms. I used the acme 13X12.625 on my 2001 Rlx w/ the 325 Monsoon and WOT rpm was around 4700 IIRC. I now use the same prop on my Lxi with the LS1 and can spin it around 5000 rpms.

The cvp is a butcher compared to the acme...there's no comparison.

Bill Weeks (ACME) suggested to me three years ago that if top speed for footing was what I wanted that I should stay with my CVP 13x13 SS.

When I had my Rlx I intended to do a comparison between the cvp and the acme 449 but I never got it done. I think they would produce very similar top ends on the Rlx all else being equal. If the cvp does get you a mph or two, it comes at a quite a cost in terms of vibration and smoothness. That said, I know the cost may be worth it to some. :)

I've got an 03 Sporty with the carb engine and a 13x12 acme. Hole shot is very quick and top end is 48-49 at 5100-5200 rpm. I would like to go to a 13x12.625 or a 13x13 3 blade acme, but haven't decided which to go with. Bill Weeks suggested staying with the 13x12, unless I needed more speed for barefooting, then go with a 13x12.625. Galaxy Toad says 13x13 would be great.

Hey 88, a question. You actually run your carby to 5100-5200 rpm??? I have the same engine and Indmar and Malibu both told me the redline is 4800. I too have replaced the 13 X 13 CVP with a 13 X 12 OJ.... and love it. However, at 4900 rpm I'm doing about 47 mph.... but I have more throttle left. I have never bothered seeing if it would get itself over 5000 rpm. I'm interested in your thoughts re going past 4800.

Who did the 13x14 4-blade work for you?
I used to foot with a buddy of mine that ran about 240-250 lbs. and liked to longline at 48 (which it did without problem and with throttle to spare). With the 13 X 14 OJ Legend 4 Blade my 00 Sporty (carbie) would run 52.8 mph (gps) at 1200' elevation, no wind, no current. Going to the OJ XMP 13 X 12 3 Blade dropped my top end to 49.7 (gps).
You actually run your carby to 5100-5200 rpm??? I have the same engine and Indmar and Malibu both told me the redline is 4800. I too have replaced the 13 X 13 CVP with a 13 X 12 OJ.... and love it. However, at 4900 rpm I'm doing about 47 mph.... but I have more throttle left. I have never bothered seeing if it would get itself over 5000 rpm. I'm interested in your thoughts re going past 4800.
I have run my 310 carbie up to 5000 quite a few times (and possibly over 5000 Innocent.gif once or twice) with no issues whatsoever. One of my ski-buddies has a closed bow Nautique that tops out at 45 mph @ 4700 and it drives him nuts that my Sporty has about the same wake, and gets an extra 5 mph on top end all while costing less than half what he paid... :lol:

Hey Marty... Tongue.gif ... :lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu

Hey 88, a question. You actually run your carby to 5100-5200 rpm??? I have the same engine and Indmar and Malibu both told me the redline is 4800. I too have replaced the 13 X 13 CVP with a 13 X 12 OJ.... and love it. However, at 4900 rpm I'm doing about 47 mph.... but I have more throttle left. I have never bothered seeing if it would get itself over 5000 rpm. I'm interested in your thoughts re going past 4800.

My 03 manual says 4800 is the redline as well. The 04 manual said 5000 for the same engine. The Monsoon is rated at 5200 and is the exact same engine except for the electronics and fuel delivery system. I'd say running it up to 5200 is plenty safe. I only do it once in awhile to see how it's running and for short bursts. But, seeing I cruise a lot and don't need all of the hole shot, I want to move to a 12.625 or 13 pitch. I'm told the 12.625 will drop WOT by 150 rpms and the 13 pitch by about 300 rpms. Probably the 12.625 is the way to go. It should still tach around 5000.