Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is your system of organization?

Brandonloos21

27 minutes ago, tbullard said:

Have never changed a prop in the water but have had to untangle a rope from it in the water. Now that I know for sure that the fiberglass swim platform will float if removed it will be much easier next time. Wasn't going to risk testing that in 70ft of water to make a bad day worse.

I kind of want to test this now, but I can't tell if its one of those practical jokes similar to:

"did you know that you can charge your phone by putting it in the microwave?"

How did you figure out that it would float?

I forgot to put the pins in on my Moomba. Good thing I was backing down the ramp to launch and not taking off up the river! On my '19 I bet that thing floats like a lead brick with the flip down on it. That was like a $2k option IIRC.

I have a DD so we usually are very light on gear.

• Ski, rope, vest, towel, First Aid Box in ski bag rear ski locker
  • Guest skis in rear locker or behind drivers seat if too many
  • Beer - in cooler behind drivers seat.
  • Bumpers in rear ski locker
  • Tool box with essentials behind passenger seat.
  • Guest bags behind passenger seat 
  • Emergency tow rope and orange vests under bow seats.
1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

I kind of want to test this now, but I can't tell if its one of those practical jokes similar to:

"did you know that you can charge your phone by putting it in the microwave?"

How did you figure out that it would float?

Tested it in shallow water. I think I would test my own before assuming based on something posted on the web but for sure the one on my 03 is a floater.

14 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

I have a DD so we usually are very light on gear.

• Ski, rope, vest, towel, First Aid Box in ski bag rear ski locker
  • Guest skis in rear locker or behind drivers seat if too many
  • Beer - in cooler behind drivers seat.
  • Bumpers in rear ski locker
  • Tool box with essentials behind passenger seat.
  • Guest bags behind passenger seat 
  • Emergency tow rope and orange vests under bow seats.

Do you ever use the in-floor cooler?

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

Do you ever use the in-floor cooler?

Not once! Dry storage for crushable foods, red solo cups and paper towels. Too much of a PITA to access even with small crew that we normally see. Granted the 45 or 65 in the center of the floor takes up some room, but it doubles as a table or foot stool. If needed I can always slide it forward some. A man could probably make some money if he designed a cooler 40/45 qt with hinges on the long end to be able to slide into the walk thru and be usable.

51 minutes ago, wdr said:

Not once! Dry storage for crushable foods, red solo cups and paper towels. Too much of a PITA to access even with small crew that we normally see. Granted the 45 or 65 in the center of the floor takes up some room, but it doubles as a table or foot stool. If needed I can always slide it forward some. A man could probably make some money if he designed a cooler 40/45 qt with hinges on the long end to be able to slide into the walk thru and be usable.

I understand.  I was addressing this more to @Joeprunc on the RLXi he has.  I have one as well and don't use the underfloor cooler at all.  I was curious if anyone does.  I'm not getting a cooler for the 23 LSV we ordered until I get the boat.  That way I can determine what will fit best given the recess in the storage locker designed for the overpriced Malibu branded cooler that you can order.  We decided against ordering the cooler.  I'm not sure it's worth the cost.  

18 hours ago, tbullard said:

Tested it in shallow water. I think I would test my own before assuming based on something posted on the web but for sure the one on my 03 is a floater.

The swim deck on our 05 floats, the swim deck on our 19 DOES NOT! and we do not have the flip down step.  I expected it to float like the 05's does, found out fast it doesn't float, but it was in 4 feet of water, at the dock, while i was changing the prop, in the water.  That job is not fun but for me less time that getting it on the trailer to change it.

We live on the lake, so everything else comes out with us at the dock.  We do leave surf boards in the 25 and slalom skis in the response.  In the boats we keep basics only on all the time, anchor, extra ropes, minimum required orange life jackets (one for each person in our family likely to jump in to go for a short trip) paddle, air horn, basic wrenches, and screwdriver sets, spare impeller, flashlight, and fire extinguisher.  Those things all have common spots, in plastic bins, under observer seat mostly. 

• 1 month later...

Changed a prop on a 45 Viking 50 miles from the closest land. It can be done but it isn't fun. Tie everything you want to keep to something on the boat including yourself. 

7 hours ago, geogilbert said:

Changed a prop on a 45 Viking 50 miles from the closest land. It can be done but it isn't fun. Tie everything you want to keep to something on the boat including yourself. 

:shocked:

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this back up..... What does everyone do for storage in the rear lockers with PnP bags? Do you just not put anything else back there or do you just throw it on top of the bags? (Thinking just throwing things on top of the bags might cause damage either to the items thrown or the bags as they fill up). Is there any type of elevated cargo net step that keeps items higher in the bay and still lets the plug and play bags fill up? Used to keeping a lot of stuff for the kids (floats, pool noodles, etc.) in the lockers on our old boat that didn’t have plug and play, so trying to figure out storage on the new boat with PnP.

1 hour ago, DaDeuce said:

Bumping this back up..... What does everyone do for storage in the rear lockers with PnP bags? Do you just not put anything else back there or do you just throw it on top of the bags? (Thinking just throwing things on top of the bags might cause damage either to the items thrown or the bags as they fill up). Is there any type of elevated cargo net step that keeps items higher in the bay and still lets the plug and play bags fill up? Used to keeping a lot of stuff for the kids (floats, pool noodles, etc.) in the lockers on our old boat that didn’t have plug and play, so trying to figure out storage on the new boat with PnP.

I have seen a post recently of someone using something like this in their rear storage locker to keep things off of the bags.  

https://www.amazon.com/Stretches-Tighter-Adjustable-Rooftop-Carrier/dp/B076TDVLQ3/ref=sr_1_23?dchild=1&keywords=cargo+net&qid=1616515410&sr=8-23

• Like 1
10 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

I have seen a post recently of someone using something like this in their rear storage locker to keep things off of the bags.  

https://www.amazon.com/Stretches-Tighter-Adjustable-Rooftop-Carrier/dp/B076TDVLQ3/ref=sr_1_23?dchild=1&keywords=cargo+net&qid=1616515410&sr=8-23

Interesting! I wonder what they are attaching the hooks to to hold it up. That exactly what I had in my head though 

9 hours ago, DaDeuce said:

Interesting! I wonder what they are attaching the hooks to to hold it up. That exactly what I had in my head though 

You can drill some of the anchors to the inside of the fiberglass and use that as your anchoring points.