Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is your system of organization?


Recommended Posts

Brandonloos21

I’m not sure about everyone else, but we usually have a lot of stuff stored on our boat. We keep spare prop, anchor, some tools, fire extinguisher, air pump, life jackets, inflatables, towels, cleaning products, ropes and lines, buoys, coolers with beverages and foods, all the basics and then some. We haven’t found a great storage system, and now that we’re getting into a new boat, I’d like to hear how you guys organize. Thus far, we try and usually shove everything under the seats, but it usually gets messy. Are there any bins that would fit nicely that you use? Thanks!

Link to post

Anchor goes in the built in "cooler"

Jackets, towel bag and cooler are in the right side compartment next to the engine

Paddleboards, fender and reef mat (inflatable) are in the left side

2 slalom skis in bags are under the long side seats along with the paddle boards

ropes are all in the pizza tray above the engine

rear center seat tray has gloves, mat to toss on the seat and a jiggler

Prop bag, pelican case with the little laptop, diacomm, mooring ropes and a small toolkit are behind observer seat.

Glove box has a few little containers with screws, impeller and a few other small spare parts.  Also has coozies, kleenex, spare sunglasses and sunscreen.

 

Your options get limited if you fill your compartments with water sacks

  • Like 1
Link to post
11 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You take a laptop and Diacomm on board?

Sure.  Little 9 inch atom dell laptop that lives in the boat in a pelican case with the diacom cable.  Only place I use it.

Link to post

I have quite a few bottles of cleaning supplies so that everyone can have a spray bottle when wiping down.  I keep all of the cleaners and brushes in a milk crate under the seat so that they can't tip over.  

Link to post

I have all the above stored in various spots, and the main one that never comes out is a diacomm code reader and a small laptop. It’s saved me several times. I have had a fair amount of trouble with me 2020 23 MXZ. Clearing the code has gotten me back to the docks  a few times. 

  • Like 3
Link to post

These things have been a great way to organize and secure stuff and keep it off the deck and dry. All of the lotions fit in it one and one with my coozies and empty dry bags. I flip a couple over and sit the life jackets sitting on them in the rear observers side area and have my box anchor in another one under the pull out "L" obs seat to keep it in place. I used the old tall trash can from my 2010 for my BABZ and air pump and it fits great under the obs side flip up seat. I use one of the crates for drinking water bottles as well. The factory cooler is more or less a chip and jerky box. We use a 45 RTIC and 65 Igloo situation dependent. I have my first aid box just aft of that cooler.

 

soda crate.jpg

Edited by wdr
sp
  • Like 3
Link to post

We use a combination of 31 bags, dry sacks and mesh bags to keep things organized.  Mesh school pencil bags work great in the glove box.

  • Like 2
Link to post

Paddle in the ski locker.  Anchor and 3 orange life jackets behind observers seat. Leatherman tool, a few ty-raps, a roll of electrical tape, spare impeller and registration in glove box. Ski ropes laying on the floor. No back seat. That's it. Even trunk is empty.

Link to post

Only item(s) that are always a problem - Wet PFDs. Not uncommon to have 8 or more of em piled up. While stopped, they hang on at the end of one of the forks on the board rack(s) in swung-out position to drip into the lake. While underway, I can't find a better place than tossed in the center of the floor. Just not interested in having that much water introduced into any of the storage holds. I already have too much stuff in there that will hold that moisture long after the jackets have been removed back at the dock (if I remember to do it, that is). 

We looked at just using one of the side under-seat spots, but the terribly designed drain hole is on the side wall, instead of being on the bottom. For this reason, about 3/4" of water sits there until you get it out manually. I use a "spent" towel as a sponge, and get an unnecessary shoulder workout in squeezing 3 or 4 loads of water out.

Link to post
7 minutes ago, BigCreek said:

Only item(s) that are always a problem - Wet PFDs. Not uncommon to have 8 or more of em piled up. While stopped, they hang on at the end of one of the forks on the board rack(s) in swung-out position to drip into the lake. While underway, I can't find a better place than tossed in the center of the floor. Just not interested in having that much water introduced into any of the storage holds. I already have too much stuff in there that will hold that moisture long after the jackets have been removed back at the dock (if I remember to do it, that is). 

We looked at just using one of the side under-seat spots, but the terribly designed drain hole is on the side wall, instead of being on the bottom. For this reason, about 3/4" of water sits there until you get it out manually. I use a "spent" towel as a sponge, and get an unnecessary shoulder workout in squeezing 3 or 4 loads of water out.

I think that drain location changed in '17.  On our '17 VLX, the drains were in the floor of the storage lockers below the seats in the aft location of the locker.  However, we've had the same issue as you with wet PFD's on the floor of the boat and we also do the same with the board racks allowing them to drip into the lake until we get back to the dock and on the hoist.  At that point, we fasten them to the hoist to drip in the water.  

 

I'm in serious organizational thoughts about our new '21 LSV that we receive in March.  Once I take delivery, likely in late April, I'm planning on organizing everything much better than we did on the VLX.  I'm going to take measurements of all the storage compartments and determine the best, most effective way to store essentials.  This thread has been helpful with some very good ideas, too.  Typically, we leave some of our boards on the boat in the bimini pockets.  Wakeboards get stashed in the garage when not in use, but surf boards remain on the boat.  I see us using a combination of bins, milk crates, 31 bags, and some smaller bins in the glove box.  

Link to post
24 minutes ago, Slayer said:

I think that drain location changed in '17. 

Genius! When building my house, I was going to put my sump pump on the 2nd floor of the house, but then I thought, "No, I think I would prefer for the water to be able to actually freakin drain" and I put it down under the basement floor.

If I were Malibu, I'd be so ashamed of the awful design that I'd have to issue a recall and fix them all. I've considered just drilling a new hole myself, but I'm unsure if there is something directly under there that prevents it from being accessible.

Link to post

If you live on the water, the needs are likely very different than if you trailer and if the lake isn't that large, I would ask why take all that stuff out each time and not take only what you need for that trip.

For me, what I include on the boat on a normal weekend trailering vs. a weekend trip somewhere not my primary lake is different.  I have a clear tote from the local walmart that has my collapsable oar, horn, goggles, dive knife, spare impeller, spare wakeboard rope and small toolkit.  That remains in the boat all summer and sits under the OB seat.  Behind it is the box anchor in the bag.  Fenders/bumpers sit in the starboard rear locker, jackets that get used are in the port rear locker.  Extra jackets under the port seats.  Towels/sunscreen in 31 bags in the OB box, food/snacks under starboard seats, cooler in the floor.  Wake/surf ropes in the pizza tray.  If on local lake, spare prop is in the truck along with the cleaning supplies.  If traveling, spare prop is in the boat.

With the more storage from the '14 VLX to the '21 23 LSV, I have put the bumpers under the starboard side seats.  But, that may change throughout this next season as I use it more. 

Link to post

On my '19 LSV the drain line in the port rear corner of the locker floor was routed so that the end of the hose was sitting higher than the actual drain hole. Me being me, I was rather upset about it not draining so I pulled the floor back there to find the issue. Rerouted and fixed the problem. I don't have a big crew normally, so I was primarily dealing with left over boat bathing water, but still annoying.

Link to post
14 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

  If on local lake, spare prop is in the truck along with the cleaning supplies.  If traveling, spare prop is in the boat.

 

Your organization makes sense to me - I had a buddy ask me this question and I didnt' have a good answer - why carry the spare prop on the boat at all.  I'm assuming there is very little opportunity to change a prop on the water.  Your thoughts?

Link to post
6 minutes ago, wdr said:

On my '19 LSV the drain line in the port rear corner of the locker floor was routed so that the end of the hose was sitting higher than the actual drain hole. Me being me, I was rather upset about it not draining so I pulled the floor back there to find the issue. Rerouted and fixed the problem. I don't have a big crew normally, so I was primarily dealing with left over boat bathing water, but still annoying.

My driveway is slightly downhill so nothing drains... bathing water, rain etc.  I bought a 18V wet/dry vac, portable, quick, easy to use love it.  I might even just leave it in the boat this season in-case of spills.

 

Link to post
26 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

Your organization makes sense to me - I had a buddy ask me this question and I didnt' have a good answer - why carry the spare prop on the boat at all.  I'm assuming there is very little opportunity to change a prop on the water.  Your thoughts?

I have changed a prop on a lift once and it wasn't enjoyable.  If you drop a part/tool in the muddy water around here, searching for it is not fun.  Changing a prop on a boat IN the water would be near impossible locally.  Now, if I am traveling, I will have it just in case a must do change.

Link to post
13 minutes ago, bcoppess23 said:

I have changed a prop on a lift once and it wasn't enjoyable.  If you drop a part/tool in the muddy water around here, searching for it is not fun.  Changing a prop on a boat IN the water would be near impossible locally.  Now, if I am traveling, I will have it just in case a must do change.

I've done that too.  Not fun at all. 

 

Link to post
25 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

Your organization makes sense to me - I had a buddy ask me this question and I didnt' have a good answer - why carry the spare prop on the boat at all.  I'm assuming there is very little opportunity to change a prop on the water.  Your thoughts?

I normally leave my spare in the truck. If I hit something it probably won't be catastrophic so I will be able to limp home and fix it at the ramp. You would have to be a combination of Aquaman and the Hulk to pull a prop in the water. Knowing my luck to add insult to injury, I would end up dropping something and would not be able to find it!

Link to post
3 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

I have changed a prop on a lift once and it wasn't enjoyable.  If you drop a part/tool in the muddy water around here, searching for it is not fun.  Changing a prop on a boat IN the water would be near impossible locally.  Now, if I am traveling, I will have it just in case a must do change.

This is the ONLY way I have ever changed props.  Everything that can be is tied to my wrist - tools, puller, prop.  Nut, key and kotter pin are tough to tie, but spares are cheap and abundant.  Rough water that is about 5' deep under the boat makes it a bit more challenging...

Link to post
3 hours ago, wdr said:

I normally leave my spare in the truck. If I hit something it probably won't be catastrophic so I will be able to limp home and fix it at the ramp. You would have to be a combination of Aquaman and the Hulk to pull a prop in the water. Knowing my luck to add insult to injury, I would end up dropping something and would not be able to find it!

The dude did it in the movie “Voyage” , but I'm with you.  The 2 times its happened to me. I limped back to ramp pissed off at myself and called it a day.  

Link to post

Buddy of mine changed a prop on a response in the water. When he told me what he was doing I didn't believe him. 

But yes just keep the prop in the truck.. 

Link to post

Have never changed a prop in the water but have had to untangle a rope from it in the water. Now that I know for sure that the fiberglass swim platform will float if removed it will be much easier next time. Wasn't going to risk testing that in 70ft of water to make a bad day worse.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...