Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long Haul Towing Question

FijiRob

I will be towing the boat across the country next month (from MN to CA). I have never traveled so far pulling the boat and I am wondering what gear to use during the trip so I don't burn up the transmission during the 2100 mile adventure.

Do I use Drive? or 3rd gear? and what about the tow/haul button?

I have a 2002 Yukon with the 5.3 engine.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Edited by FijiRob

I think as a rule, you're supposed to be in 3rd gear. I do use 4th gear with tow/haul when on really flat ground, going down wind etc... but it doesn't take much at freeway speeds to cause it to have to lock/unlock the converter all the time downshift etc.. that is where it gets hard on the transmission.

Listen to the transmission - you should be able to tell... if it sounds like it is having to make lots of changes to keep the speed up - either slow down or use 3rd (for me slowing down isnt the option Crazy.gif)

We have the Burb w/ 5.3L. I would suggest using tow/haul for sure. Leave it OD, but when you get into the hills OR if it starts to hunt alot put it in 3rd.

Make sure you trailer tires are in good shape and properly inflated. Make sure you have a spare. Plus, check your trailer bearings.

And, welcome back to CA :)

I'd think about a chip or programmer for the vehicle. Saves on shifting, more power at the right times, better gas mileage etc. Just my 3 cents.

We have the Burb w/ 5.3L. I would suggest using tow/haul for sure. Leave it OD, but when you get into the hills OR if it starts to hunt alot put it in 3rd.

Make sure you trailer tires are in good shape and properly inflated. Make sure you have a spare. Plus, check your trailer bearings.

Ditto above with regard to towing methods and checking trailer condition. I'll add that you may want to have extra parts to replace the bearings if need be or even a complete spindle to swap out. I don't need to tow much, but if I were going very far I'd have spare everythings.

Ditto

The dang thing has an automatic just put it in drive and leave the tow/haul mode on.

Does it have a transmission cooler? Maybe tow/haul takes care of it in that vehicle, but everything I've read about towing cautions against the heat caused by transmission hunting.

Try driving in each gear (drive or 3rd) and whichever gear requires you to push down on the gas pedal less is the gear you should use.

That said, I always drive in 4th gear (2003 V8 4Runner with 5 speed auto).

The dang thing has an automatic just put it in drive and leave the tow/haul mode on.

Does it have a transmission cooler? Maybe tow/haul takes care of it in that vehicle, but everything I've read about towing cautions against the heat caused by transmission hunting.

If you have the tow/haul mode that means the tow package has been installed IIRC. Heat buildup is certainly a concern and probably the top reason transmissions go out. The tow/haul only affects the shifting pattern to allow more rpm's per gear, nothing regarding the transmission cooler is altered.

The GM manual says you shouldn't need the tow-haul mode unless your GCVW is 75% percent or more of the Maximum GCVW. If it starts shifting a lot on the hills then tow-haul mode would probably be a good idea.

I will be towing the boat across the country next month (from MN to CA). I have never traveled so far pulling the boat and I am wondering what gear to use during the trip so I don't burn up the transmission during the 2100 mile adventure.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

If you have an auto club membership put an RV rider on it, or a least find out if your trailer is covered under the towing agreement you have. From experience :(

Thanks guys! I had the dealer check the trailer bearings etc. when I had it winterized but I like the idea of finding some extra parts just in case something happens out there in the middle of nowhere at the end of January because the weather could be really bad.

I just serviced the tranny so the fluid is clean and ready to go. The vehicle is equipped with a tranny cooler too.

Fortunately we won't encounter too many hills as I am taking I-35 to I-40. The hills won't happen until maybe after Albuquerque IIRC. Otherwise it is flat as a pancake.

I have the RV rider with AAA and a spare for the trailer. Both are must have's in my opinion!

I'll see if my good buddy Romi could make the trip to the No Cal WOW in July Biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance.

Rob

On long trips I used to put another 5-8 psi of air in the rear tires, might want to try nitrogen. Then just put it in drive and use your tow haul button. Congratulations on moving to CA you can probably sell your wetsuit/drysuit the water will be so warm compared to what your used to. Have fun.

Good luck Fiji! We'll miss you in the Midwest. There aren't many Orange County Republicans in the Midwest, but we'll keep spreading the word. Talked to one of my Regional Managers out in So Cal yesterday, and it took him 3 hours to drive from Encinitas to Woodland Hills. 100 miles. Middle of the day. I needed that reminder. It's going to get to a high of 43 today, and I'm already complaining. Some days, I wish I was moving back too!

I have towed my boat long haul a couple of times.

Just keep the tranny in tow/haul mode and have the rear tires well inflated, I use 36 PSI.

Given your preperation you should be fine.

Happy Trails!

Rob,

Have a safe trip. You're welcome as my guest at Lake Nacimiento anytime.

-Dan

Dan, that would be awesome and I may take you up on that offer someday. I definitely want to try other places to go other than "The River" with all those freaking POSER BOATS blowing by me at 80 mph.

RV

Tires and Tow/Haul for sure... dude.

Naci is cool and its only just over 5 hours for us. That is where I ruptured the disc at... so I wouldnt want to go back anytime soon. Its just as bad as the river as far as the crowds. Cool place never the less.

Tow in third gear with the tow/haul button on. If you tow in D, you will still get a lot of torque converter locking and unlocking even though it may not actually be shifting. It's hard on the tranny.

The tow/haul button prolongs solenoid engagement which helps to get the load moving and prolongs lock up, it does not somehow magically change the ratios. The internal hard parts and frictions in the 4L60E have not changed since its introduction in 92 and are still just as vulnerable inspite of the T/H programming. Busy shifting will create heat, breakdown fluids, and wear linings. At 0.7 overdrive with the converter locked, the 5.3 liter engine does not have the power to keep the weight moving. It has to use the mechanical advantage of the converter and when it runs out of that it has to downshift to 3rd. Any time the converter is unlocked or a downshift occurs heat is generated and the life of your tranny is shortened.

For the time being, gasoline is cheaper than a transmission re-build.

I have the RV rider with AAA and a spare for the trailer. Both are must have's in my opinion!

Make sure you have a wrench that fits the lugs on the trailer. I was very lucky to blow a tire on Westbound I-40 about 200 feet before the Ludlow exit in about 110 degree heat. The lucky part was that I made it to the exit where there was plenty of space to change the tire and a very nice man who lent me a lug wrench.

Fortunately, you don't need to worry about the heat in January!

Someone in so-cal should give an update on the 15. My sister got hung up in construction traffic recently - backed up to Barstow on the weekend. I'm not sure what they have planned. Late January could mean superbowl weekend = tons of traffic from Vegas into LA on 15. Combine that with construction and you won't need second gear, it'll be stuck in first for a long time!