Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wind storm

obski

We got hit with a pretty significant storm last night with lots of rain and wind. The coast got hit with winds over 100mph, while around here it was up to 60 or 70 mph. We lost our power last evening right in the middle of watching season 5 of 24. Jack Bauer was being captured so now I have to be worried about him. We still don't have our power back up.

I left home this morning early and looked over to where the boat lives in its Costco shelter and all looked well from what I could see, but there were sure a lot of branches down all over the place. My son called me later and said that a big branch had fallen down, went through the Costco shelter roof and ripped a big hole in the boat cover. As far as he could see though it didn't look like there was any damage to the boat itself. I'll have to take a look when I get home. The boat needs its new home.

It was a nasty storm for sure. It rained & blew hard most of the night over here, then the temperature dropped & everything froze. We woke up to a solid sheet of ice on every road on this end of town, & our schools weren't even delayed (there were only a few systems that were even delayed, & that was for power outages not road conditions). Not too surprising, I think that it would take 3 or 4 feet of snow in one night to delay schools & I can't even get my mind around what it would take to close them. :lol:

Sorry about the boat, hopefully the cover is the only thing that took damage (not that that's a good thing, but maybe it can be repaired?).

I left home this morning early and looked over to where the boat lives in its Costco shelter and all looked well from what I could see, but there were sure a lot of branches down all over the place. My son called me later and said that a big branch had fallen down, went through the Costco shelter roof and ripped a big hole in the boat cover. As far as he could see though it didn't look like there was any damage to the boat itself. I'll have to take a look when I get home. The boat needs its new home.

We had a storm a few years ago that destroyed our costco shelter completely. The cover was only tied to the boat trailer in the back, not is the front so when the wind came it picked the tarp up and bent it over itself. Ever since then, that boat and the one we have now have lived inside.

Sorry ob. Glad to hear family and home are OK. Sorry about the Bu. Covers are replaceable. Get a large tarp. Go to your dealer and see if he has a cover for a 23' boat that's a generic 'fit' cover. I've got one that I use to store my boat. It's great. Becuase it has elastic all around it and it's a little oversized, becuase it's generic, I can lower my tower and pull the cover over the top of everything.

You can probably buy something like that at Overton's as well, but it'd have to be shipped. A local boat dealer would probably have one in stock, I know mine does.

A few of our shingles got torn off which is annoying (cause I get to fix em), but the real PITA in a wind storm comes from owning a grocery store Mad.gif The store lost power around 7:30 and had to close 2.5 hours early. They had to get everyone one out, while 2 different alarms were going off and in total darkness:Crazy: Around 9:00 my dad and I went out there and found a cracked window, the alarm system down, and the emergency exit door displaced. While trying to get that door fixed its alarm went off and and it fell off the hinges Mad.gif After getting that problem fixed we decided we should see if anything had been stolen/see if anyone was hiding in the store Shocking.gif

Then we had to check EVERY cooler and start pulling the meat, chicken, and fish (the fish and chicken were getting nasty smelling Vomit.gif ) and put them in the main freezer which was already starting to warm up. We then decided to set up camp in the front of the store by the check stands to keep an eye out for people who were up to no good. The store is in a VERY bad part of town and twice, people came up to the front door to see if anyone was in there. As soon as I shined my flash light at them they would run off Crazy.gif At about 12:30 in the morning a car pulled up without its lights on and parked about 100 yards away, I watched it for about 10 minutes creep closer and closer to the store. As soon as I shined my light on the car they speed away. Then we decided to light some candles infront of the main door to let people know that we were inside and to hopefully deter them.

I set up my bed on check stand 1 and my dad on 2 and we just laid there. I had been drinking rockstar and vodka earlier that night so I wasn't tired, but pissed cause I had to work early in the morning. Around 1:30 AM we checked on the frozens again and the damage had already been done so we though WTF, lets go home. My dad went back out around 4:00 when the power went back on and he spent the rest of the day dealing with fried computers, spoiled food, and insurance people. To make matters worse, we couldn't get the new BBQ today cause of all the ish that went on last night Mad.gif

BTW- Obski, that sucks about your cover! Just be thankful much more didn't happen. Today while delivering packages we saw probably 50+ downed trees, 2 smashed houses, and I think it was 5 totalled cars :(

All it takes around here to close schools is for the first flake to stick to a road!! It was great when you were a kid Yahoo.gif but not so hot for the parents! Mad.gif The funniest part is watching all the local news' weather geeks out around town on live feeds with there rulers, showing us how much has already accumulated!! They get off on it I think....

It was a nasty storm for sure. It rained & blew hard most of the night over here, then the temperature dropped & everything froze. We woke up to a solid sheet of ice on every road on this end of town, & our schools weren't even delayed (there were only a few systems that were even delayed, & that was for power outages not road conditions). Not too surprising, I think that it would take 3 or 4 feet of snow in one night to delay schools & I can't even get my mind around what it would take to close them. :lol:

Sorry about the boat, hopefully the cover is the only thing that took damage (not that that's a good thing, but maybe it can be repaired?).

All it takes around here to close schools is for the first flake to stick to a road!! It was great when you were a kid Yahoo.gif but not so hot for the parents! Mad.gif The funniest part is watching all the local news' weather geeks out around town on live feeds with there rulers, showing us how much has already accumulated!! They get off on it I think....

Oh yeah, there's no doubt. I grew up in the valley & it's almost comical at how people react at the first sign of snow. The whole city nearly shuts down, doomsday is upon us (ever hear Bill Engvall's routine on snow in Texas? it applies :lol:) Still, with the influx of people from California & the valley, there are a lot of people living over here that haven't got any clue at how to drive in weather like this. And they don't seem interested in learning. Mad.gif

Sorry to hear about the store JSP, but I guess it could be worse. Dontknow.gif

Oh yeah, there's no doubt. I grew up in the valley & it's almost comical at how people react at the first sign of snow. The whole city nearly shuts down, doomsday is upon us (ever hear Bill Engvall's routine on snow in Texas? it applies :lol:) Still, with the influx of people from California & the valley, there are a lot of people living over here that haven't got any clue at how to drive in weather like this. And they don't seem interested in learning. Mad.gif

Sorry to hear about the store JSP, but I guess it could be worse. Dontknow.gif

Yeah it could have been a lot worse...and has been in past storms. But its just part of the game and fun :unsure: of owning your own business.

About the snow...when there is even a chance (like 500tf snow levels) people FREAK around here!!! They rush to the stores and buy EVERYTHING, huddle around the TV, and school is cancled if there is even a dusting of snow Crazy.gif I love it!!! ROFL.gif In high school when it would snow, (and we would get days off) we would take are cars, but them in 2wd and race up a hill to see who could get the furthest up Crazy.gif Yeah it was really safe and smart... :lol: I love the snow

A few of our shingles got torn off which is annoying (cause I get to fix em), but the real PITA in a wind storm comes from owning a grocery store Mad.gif The store lost power around 7:30 and had to close 2.5 hours early. They had to get everyone one out, while 2 different alarms were going off and in total darkness:Crazy: Around 9:00 my dad and I went out there and found a cracked window, the alarm system down, and the emergency exit door displaced. While trying to get that door fixed its alarm went off and and it fell off the hinges Mad.gif After getting that problem fixed we decided we should see if anything had been stolen/see if anyone was hiding in the store Shocking.gif

Then we had to check EVERY cooler and start pulling the meat, chicken, and fish (the fish and chicken were getting nasty smelling Vomit.gif ) and put them in the main freezer which was already starting to warm up. We then decided to set up camp in the front of the store by the check stands to keep an eye out for people who were up to no good. The store is in a VERY bad part of town and twice, people came up to the front door to see if anyone was in there. As soon as I shined my flash light at them they would run off Crazy.gif At about 12:30 in the morning a car pulled up without its lights on and parked about 100 yards away, I watched it for about 10 minutes creep closer and closer to the store. As soon as I shined my light on the car they speed away. Then we decided to light some candles infront of the main door to let people know that we were inside and to hopefully deter them.

I set up my bed on check stand 1 and my dad on 2 and we just laid there. I had been drinking rockstar and vodka earlier that night so I wasn't tired, but pissed cause I had to work early in the morning. Around 1:30 AM we checked on the frozens again and the damage had already been done so we though WTF, lets go home. My dad went back out around 4:00 when the power went back on and he spent the rest of the day dealing with fried computers, spoiled food, and insurance people. To make matters worse, we couldn't get the new BBQ today cause of all the ish that went on last night Mad.gif

BTW- Obski, that sucks about your cover! Just be thankful much more didn't happen. Today while delivering packages we saw probably 50+ downed trees, 2 smashed houses, and I think it was 5 totalled cars :(

Ever look into a backup generator? The price of the generator may be recovered in lost product in one pwer outage.

A generator to power the store which is 20,000+ square feet, would cost a TON!!! Plus, our insurance deductable in situations like this is very low. :)

so, is that 20,000 sf of refrigerated product?

or would you get by on a small generator for the fridge?

;)

There are 3 fridges that are about 15x20 and one freezer thats roughly 13x13, also he perimeter of the store (except for the front) is all refrigerator cases or freezer cases. About 80of the coolers need to be on....the other 20% is pop and beer.

We finally got power back yesterday.

I ran the generator in the motorhome all day on Saturday and yesterday until the power came back on. I ran a line from the motorhome then into the house keeping the refrigerator and freezer going in the kitchen and also hooked up the TV and DVD player so that we could get back to watching how Jack was doing in season 5. :lol:

We didn't end up losing any food and the house stayed warm enough with the free-standing gas stove we have in the living room. I used the gas oven in the motorhome to cook dinner one of the nights.

I bought some matching material and sewed a large patch on the boat cover to keep dirt and water out of the boat, and to prevent it from ripping further. It should work for now. I was going to be taking the cover up to Cory this winter anyway to fix another issue with the cover, so I'll have to see if the new damage can be fixed.

JSP, sorry to hear about the store. That pretty much sucks.

This recent event has made me think that perhaps I should see about having the new house wired for a generator. They are just starting on the electric, so it shouldn't be a big deal to wire it in.

This recent event has made me think that perhaps I should see about having the new house wired for a generator. They are just starting on the electric, so it shouldn't be a big deal to wire it in.

Not a bad idea. We did that at my dad's house in Snohomish because of relatively frequent power outages and it really came in handy. He put in a separate sub-panel for the things he wanted to power (furnace, refrigerator, etc.) with a disconnect to isolate that panel from the main panel. That's the main thing...you don't want there to be any chance that you'll feed power back into the transmission lines.

Glad to hear things worked out for you...certainly could have been a lot worse!

We recently installed a permanent standby generator that can be fueled by natural gas or propane. It runs the heat and A/C, cooktop, double wall oven, lights, tv, sump pump, alarm system, etc. It wasn't cheap but it will be well worth it if a storm or something else knocks out power for days. The best part about it is that it senses the power loss, starts itself and warms up for a few seconds, and then switches power over to the generator. When the power comes back on, it switches back to utility power, goes through a cool down cycle and shuts down. It is fully automatic with no extension cords, refilling fuel tanks, etc. If I'm at work, I don't have to worry about my wife trying to figure it out.

There are 3 fridges that are about 15x20 and one freezer thats roughly 13x13, also he perimeter of the store (except for the front) is all refrigerator cases or freezer cases. About 80of the coolers need to be on....the other 20% is pop and beer.

It may be expensive but it would have kept your doors open therefore, profits coming in, and most of all less of a headache dealing w/ the aftermath. Insurance claims always seem to increase your rates. Glad to here things are getting back to normal. I remember the days of snow and freezing rain on the west side ah good times. We had something like 10 neighbors climb in the back of our truck for more traction to get up Glen Creek near 34th street while others we’re skiing down and getting pulled up be a three wheeler.

We recently installed a permanent standby generator that can be fueled by natural gas or propane. It runs the heat and A/C, cooktop, double wall oven, lights, tv, sump pump, alarm system, etc. It wasn't cheap but it will be well worth it if a storm or something else knocks out power for days. The best part about it is that it senses the power loss, starts itself and warms up for a few seconds, and then switches power over to the generator. When the power comes back on, it switches back to utility power, goes through a cool down cycle and shuts down. It is fully automatic with no extension cords, refilling fuel tanks, etc. If I'm at work, I don't have to worry about my wife trying to figure it out.

:lol:

I'm laughing, but I totally get it. I was worried about what to do if the power was still out after the weekend and I had to be back at work day and night. I don't think my wife could have handled all of the cords, generator etc. That sounds like a great system you've got in place.