Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2007 in-tank fuel filter replacement...

Is it possible to pull the in-tank fuel pump in order to replace the in-tank filter (not the drop in filter on top) WITHOUT having to move the fuel tank?

The pump is directly underneath the seat framing and doesn’t look like it’ll have enough room to lift out.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, BearCreekBum said:

I did this earlier on my 2008 and had to remove the seat base. Not hard just a lot of screws. I assume your 2007 is similar.

Ugh... not wanted I wanted to hear, but kind of what I expected.  Appreciate the response.

Just went out and looked at it again... the port side would be fairly straight forward (there is a single L bracket under the flip up seat on that side).  The starboard side has the built in cooler which means I can’t even see the L bracket on that side.

I think I may be skipping that fuel filter for now...

Edited by gvb

Wait, before you do anything.....pull up the center rear seat and pull out the plastic tub there. The rear of the fuel tank should be visible. The filter is on the large opening/cover that the fuel pump is in. You pop out the snap ring, replace the filter (which is the size of your thumb) and done. 

On 9/26/2020 at 8:55 PM, gvb said:

Ugh... not wanted I wanted to hear, but kind of what I expected.  Appreciate the response.

Just went out and looked at it again... the port side would be fairly straight forward (there is a single L bracket under the flip up seat on that side).  The starboard side has the built in cooler which means I can’t even see the L bracket on that side.

I think I may be skipping that fuel filter for now...

Your 2007 must be different than my 2008. The seat base had a break on the starboard side at the cooler. There are the L brackets at the curved section of the base and two flat brackets connecting the section with the curve to the straight section with the cooler.

4 hours ago, BearCreekBum said:

Your 2007 must be different than my 2008. The seat base had a break on the starboard side at the cooler. There are the L brackets at the curved section of the base and two flat brackets connecting the section with the curve to the straight section with the cooler.

I'll shoot a pic later this week.. but the break happens after the cooler starts, so the L bracket appears to be hidden behind the cooler material.

See attached... port side has a single L bracket near the end of the break, but the driver side break is in the cooler section and I don’t see any brackets.

If I COULD get to the bracket under the cooler, is it just those two L brackets that hold that wrap around base in?

7E7753BC-DD14-45EC-9ADA-C5E3384B09B4.jpeg

4E0ED754-3194-4B51-8432-F5AABD55F573.jpeg

F44E3588-7A75-4800-856D-815C137565B8.jpeg

1339947D-AD66-4462-89A9-79ECBC41A529.jpeg

Hi there,

I have a 2007 vlx. It is a one year setup with the fuel pump/filter. If you’re trying to replace the filter you should only have to remove a snap ring and it pops up. I’m not sure if you are replacing the whole pump? If so I haven’t done that so my advice is worthless.