Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Brackish water boat inspection and buy

Chatty21VLX

I know, I know, stay clear of brackish water boats... 

Would a pre purchase inspection be able to tell me about corrosion in the drivetrain of a brackish water boat? The boat has a flush kit, and the seller claims it was washed and flushed after every outing. What can be a problem area other than exhaust manifolds? 

How much rust is there on the engine, exhaust headers and elsewhere?  Any brackish water in the bilge causes everything to rust just from the atmosphere it’s in.  Flushing is good but may not protect the outside.  My boat is a 98 Sunsetter and run in brackish water for 5 years.  I did replace the engine after 10 years when the exhaust headers couldn’t be removed due to rust welding them on. About $8000 but still worth it considering new boat prices. 

Not saying don’t buy it but look at it closely

First, it better be significantly cheaper to even bother considering it.  

Brackish = salt, no matter what the seller trying to claim.  So take a huge discount for being a salt boat.  If a steel trailer, figure pitching it.  Check for rust everywhere and condition of the vinyl. 

5 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

First, it better be significantly cheaper to even bother considering it.  

Brackish = salt, no matter what the seller trying to claim.  So take a huge discount for being a salt boat.  If a steel trailer, figure pitching it.  Check for rust everywhere and condition of the vinyl. 

Problem is the boat is 850 miles away. The trailer is rusty, and the seller says it will need to be replaced in a few years. He says the boat is cleaned and flushed after every use. I cannot inspect the boat in person. My question was whether or not a pre purchase inspection will be able to tell me if the boat is junked or not. The price might be good enough to justify buying it.

The seller has not to tried to hide the fact that the boat has been in brackish water, and he hasn't tried to hide the fact that the trailer is rusty. It doesn't mean he's not lying about the condition of the boat though.

Edited by Chatty21VLX
1 hour ago, Chatty21VLX said:

Problem is the boat is 850 miles away. The trailer is rusty, and the seller says it will need to be replaced in a few years. He says the boat is cleaned and flushed after every use. I cannot inspect the boat in person. My question was whether or not a pre purchase inspection will be able to tell me if the boat is junked or not. The price might be good enough to justify buying it.

The seller has not to tried to hide the fact that the boat has been in brackish water, and he hasn't tried to hide the fact that the trailer is rusty. It doesn't mean he's not lying about the condition of the boat though.

do not buy this boat without a personal inspection