Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ram/GMC 3500 SRW


malibu2004

Recommended Posts

I think we are going to go back to a camper so I need a truck that can handle weight while pulling a boat. I've narrowed it down to GMC and Ram 3500's, diesel, SRW. I'm not brand loyal, I'm best deal loyal. I would say the best local dealership is Ram. 

I'm not interested in any other truck. 

Camper will be around 3000 dry and we'll pull our 2004 VLX.

Does anyone have experience with the 68RFE verse the Aisin? The Aisin is $2900 upgrade. People say you only need the Aisin if you pull over 20k which I will never do. 

How is the new GMC, 10 speed? 

Both trucks are super nice.  

Link to post

All the new HD trucks are fantastic, IMO.

I have a 2020 GMC 3500; the 10-speed is butter.  I was a big fan of the 6-speed Allison (I had it on a 13, 16, and 19), but the 10-speed is substantially better.  On the flats towing a 14k flatbed it is tough to tell when its shifting unless you are looking at the tack, and it keeps the RPMs right on the sweet spot.  I don't believe a 10-speed is necessary, by any means, but it sure is nice.  

Edited by jjackkrash
Link to post

My dad just got a 2020 Duramax with the 10 speed and it is an amazing truck, shifts are effortless. Towing over the coquihalla and a few other mountain passes you can’t even tell you’re towing. There’s a 5km stretch with 8-9% grade and it was easily holding speed limit or well over :whistle:

Both trucks will definitely get the job done great, comes down to personal preference. With a 3k camper and srw you will probably want to add air bags or something to prevent sag. But that will be the case on any SRW. 

Link to post

My father in law got a new 2500 RAM with (Tradesman) and honestly it has a nicer interior then my 2017 F250 platinum. 

How big of family do you have? I think GMC and Ford have the largest cabs right now with Ford still being the biggest. 

if you go GMC I think the new AT4 looks really nice.

 

Link to post

If its a dedicated tow rig I would suggest a dually. I pull with a 2000 cummins and cant even feel cross wind. My father just picked up a 19 F350 Lariat. He pulls a 40' fifth wheel and loves it. Not sure if ford is still offering 0% financing but you cant beat that. I have always been a fan of the f-series interiors, the cab space is incredible. 

I think the F-350 averages 15 mpgs mix city and highway. I get 20+ on the highway with the cummins. The only downside to a dually is buying 2 extra tires but it is worth it for a dedicated tow rig.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Try2paz said:

My father in law got a new 2500 RAM with (Tradesman) and honestly it has a nicer interior then my 2017 F250 platinum. 

How big of family do you have? I think GMC and Ford have the largest cabs right now with Ford still being the biggest. 

if you go GMC I think the new AT4 looks really nice.

 

We are short and I don't plan on sitting in the back. If someone complains they can drive themselves for all I care. 

If I go GMC it will be the Denali or AT4. 

I'm just struggling with the cost of them. I had 2, Ford PSD so diesel trucks that left a sour taste in my mouth not only for Ford but with diesel trucks in general. My current Tunda has 95k on it and it's only had the normal maintenance done to it. I might go with a 1 or 2 year old truck if I can find one that is a good price. 

Airbags for sure. 

Link to post

I'm not sure what your market is like but in Northern California 1/2/3 year old diesels are selling for the cost of new unless it's already got 100k miles on it.

My close friend sold his 2017 F250 platinum identical to mine for 5k less then he paid for it next a month ago.

My 2017 has been great except for the shocks and steering. I swapped out all the shocks threw the junk rancho's in the trash and also put a fox steering stabilizer on it. 

 

Link to post
4 minutes ago, 06malibu said:

If its a dedicated tow rig I would suggest a dually. I pull with a 2000 cummins and cant even feel cross wind. My father just picked up a 19 F350 Lariat. He pulls a 40' fifth wheel and loves it. Not sure if ford is still offering 0% financing but you cant beat that. I have always been a fan of the f-series interiors, the cab space is incredible. 

I think the F-350 averages 15 mpgs mix city and highway. I get 20+ on the highway with the cummins. The only downside to a dually is buying 2 extra tires but it is worth it for a dedicated tow rig.

It will also be my snow ski vehicle also. I'm not interested in a dually all though it would be nice for stability and being able to get almost any camper I wanted. 

Link to post

I have a 2012 3500 DRW Ram with the 68RFE.  The transmission is fine, but if I were buying today, I would go Aisin so that I could also get the high output engine (primary use for my truck is hauling a 5th wheel).  And I would absolutely stay with RAM, they have been very good to me.

That said, the 10 speed in the GM is very good.  In fact, I don't think I have read anything bad about it.

The RAM crew cab is the same size as the competition.  PLENTY of room in the back seat.

If you are getting a camper, make sure you get the factory air suspension.  Makes the ride much better, and will eliminate the need for anything aftermarket.

If you are looking at top trim levels (Longhorn or Limited), the RAM is far better than anything else out there.  GM's lower level trims are competitive, but not on the top level.

Link to post
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

I have a 2012 3500 DRW Ram with the 68RFE.  The transmission is fine, but if I were buying today, I would go Aisin so that I could also get the high output engine (primary use for my truck is hauling a 5th wheel).  And I would absolutely stay with RAM, they have been very good to me.

That said, the 10 speed in the GM is very good.  In fact, I don't think I have read anything bad about it.

The RAM crew cab is the same size as the competition.  PLENTY of room in the back seat.

If you are getting a camper, make sure you get the factory air suspension.  Makes the ride much better, and will eliminate the need for anything aftermarket.

If you are looking at top trim levels (Longhorn or Limited), the RAM is far better than anything else out there.  GM's lower level trims are competitive, but not on the top level.

It would be a Laramie or Longhorn for trim.The air suspension looks pretty slick.

I'm not a hp/torque guy because all of them will pull what ever I have. I'm a leave it stock so it will it work long for the long run. 

Everything that I have read puts Ram in the front for trucks. 

Link to post

I would recommend going with GMC because of the 10 speed. It really does make that much difference especially if you ever have to pull a heavy load. Many people are saying that a stock duramax with 10 speed will pull as good as a deleted duramax with 6 speed. I have deleted every duramax I have owned and pulled 20k+ loads with them. If a stock truck pulls that good, you probably wouldn't ever want to modify it. My brother has a 2018 Ram 2500, the only complaint he has with that truck is the trans. He doesn't like the way it shifts pulling loads and is expensive every time he has it serviced.

Link to post

I'd add the the new Duramax for 2020 has the same HP numbers as the last two years, but they really went hog wild on the trans. and engine cooling capacity.   I towed a 19k lbs. fiver up the passes at 70 mph this summer during the heat and the trans temp never broke 180.  

Link to post
1 hour ago, MLBurns said:

I would recommend going with GMC because of the 10 speed. It really does make that much difference especially if you ever have to pull a heavy load. Many people are saying that a stock duramax with 10 speed will pull as good as a deleted duramax with 6 speed. I have deleted every duramax I have owned and pulled 20k+ loads with them. If a stock truck pulls that good, you probably wouldn't ever want to modify it. My brother has a 2018 Ram 2500, the only complaint he has with that truck is the trans. He doesn't like the way it shifts pulling loads and is expensive every time he has it serviced.

Do you know which trans he has? The Aisin needs twice as much service as the 68RFE. 

I wont ever pull anything that heavy. I would go with a 2500 but they just don't have the payload I need with a camper.  

Link to post

On the GMC, the 3500 gets you better payload and full torque in first gear (no torque-management limiter) and a bigger ring gear over the 2500 for about the same price.  And the ride quality unloaded is about the same.  I don't see any good reason to go 2500 on the new GMC trucks.  

Link to post
35 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

Do you know which trans he has? The Aisin needs twice as much service as the 68RFE. 

I wont ever pull anything that heavy. I would go with a 2500 but they just don't have the payload I need with a camper.  

Neither the Aisin or 68RFE have a reputation of being expensive to run.

And MLBurns talked about a 2500.  So that means it is a 68RFE.  That tranny needs auto transmission fluid changed every 60,000.  

Axel fluid is every 30,000.

Link to post

I had an 08 Ram 3500 SRW. It went 253k. I had one transmission done at 92k. One ac compressor at about 170k. 

My 2014 Ram SRW went 117k. It never saw anything but normal service until I sold it. It had the 68rfe  

I now have a 2018 with the Aisin. It has 68k on it and has never been back to the dealer. I will never go back to the 68rfe transmission. The Aisin is a dream to tow with. Especially with tow/haul and the exhaust break. I am loaded with close to 1000 pounds of tools 100% of the time. if you are buying used watch the years I hated the seats in my 2014. However this 2018 is a different story. Somewhere between 2014 and 2018 they changed the interior. 

Also somewhere in that time frame payload went from. 4K to 6k. 

These is my personal/work truck. It tows 4-6 days a week. Always more than 5-6k. And on average somewhere around 28k. ( I have never weighed it) about once a week. Sometimes heavyweight is five days a week. 

Before my 08 I had 

03 Ford 2500 2wd had problems and traded in at 32k

04 Ford 3500 SRW 4wd  6.0 had problems and went through two transmissions 1- turbo and was traded in with another transmission at about 65k  

06 Ford 3500 SRW 4wd. Another. 6.0 that went through two turbos one at 7500 miles. Went back to the shop at 58k. So it got sold and I bought the 08 Ram

So I feel your pain about the Fords😂😂

Link to post

I went and looked at Rams this weekend again and just built out a Laramie and Laramie Longhorn with the Aisin. Laramie is $77 and the Longhorn $80,5. That makes we want to barf for the most part. GMC didn't have anything I would be interested in at this time.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2 at the base price other than $7,400 more for the Longhorn.  

I still need to drive one before I decide. 

I'll get a 3500 since I'm going to be heavy with the camper. 

Link to post
12 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

I went and looked at Rams this weekend again and just built out a Laramie and Laramie Longhorn with the Aisin. Laramie is $77 and the Longhorn $80,5. That makes we want to barf for the most part. GMC didn't have anything I would be interested in at this time.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 2 at the base price other than $7,400 more for the Longhorn.  

I still need to drive one before I decide. 

I'll get a 3500 since I'm going to be heavy with the camper. 

was the 77 and 80K MSRP?

 

Looking at 66K for a 3500 Laramie with /Asin locally

https://www.jeffbelzer.com/new-Lakeville-2020-RAM-3500-Laramie+Sport+Appearance+Pkg-3C63R3EL5LG177321

Edited by oldjeep
Link to post
39 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

was the 77 and 80K MSRP?

 

Looking at 66K for a 3500 Laramie with /Asin locally

https://www.jeffbelzer.com/new-Lakeville-2020-RAM-3500-Laramie+Sport+Appearance+Pkg-3C63R3EL5LG177321

Yes, I added air suspension, block heater, Laramie level 1, protection group, bed utlility, towing tech, safety group, 5th wheel/goose package, bucket seats, off rad tires, sunroof, bed liner, aux panel mount. 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

Yes, I added air suspension, block heater, Laramie level 1, protection group, bed utlility, towing tech, safety group, 5th wheel/goose package, bucket seats, off rad tires, sunroof, bed liner, aux panel mount. 

I would guess around 7 to 8 grand off msrp. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, malibu2004 said:

GMC didn't have anything I would be interested in at this time.

SRW 3500 GMC Denali Ultimate Duramax for 70k:

https://www.laurabuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2020-GMC-Sierra_3500HD-Crew_Cab_Standard_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_Denali-Collinsville-IL/4621433773

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Box looks a couple feet short ;)

From his example he must be looking for an 8ft

Edited by oldjeep
Link to post
9 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

That's a pretty smoking deal and one I would be interested in for sure. It just needs to be a long bed. 

The problem in Oregon is the dealers aren't doing dealer discounts. They are manufacture discounts of 4 grand off only and they sell right away. 

Withnells the above link is more of a truck store than car is the reason they have trucks. I've also looked at Dave Smith in Idaho but they aren't enough off for the effort to go to Idaho. I would just stay local. 

Edited by malibu2004
Link to post
2 minutes ago, malibu2004 said:

That's a pretty smoking deal and one I would be interested in for sure. It just needs to be a long bed. 

For the amount of trucks they sell, they are low in diesel stock so that was their only Denali SRW with a diesel they had.  It is actually less than the AT4's due to discounts.  They might be able to order one for you.  It's where I got my Sierra for 17k off MSRP (different deals back then and a 1500 truck).

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...