Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering

barefootboy

Steering in my '03 Wakesetter has been unbearable. Put a new cable in 4-5 yrs ago. Greased the rudder box prior to season. Steering wheel has started to squeak which leads me to believe it's behind wheel. Anyway to lubricate this or am I wrong? Thanks

If your tilt is the same as mine, then yes it is serviceable, but it is a bit like a puzzle to put back together.  I disassembled, cleaned and greased and although it was tricky, it went back together fine.  Only issue is that if you really tighten the 2 large bolts that hold it to the dash it will compress the assembly and it will bind the steering so make sure that's not part of your issue.

@formulaben... bind the steering? Out of the water everything moves great, under a load it seems really stiff especially when getting closer to full travel. Might just be me not used to how steering acts while prop turning? 

Yes, depending on speed, prop RPM, and steering angle there will be some feedback, but perhaps you're getting more than normal. Either way, I'd still remove the tilt and clean/lube to see if it helps.

5 hours ago, Wardcrew said:

@formulaben... bind the steering? Out of the water everything moves great, under a load it seems really stiff especially when getting closer to full travel. Might just be me not used to how steering acts while prop turning? 

Too much grease at the rudder and not enough grease at the rudder both will cause this problem.  

Edited by Bozboat