Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SPN 94 FMI 4 Code

I have a 2013 Response TXI with the indmar Monsoon engine.  I got the SPN 94 code last year and ended up taking it to a dealer.  They could not find anything and just reset the fault codes.  Worked for a while but the SPN 94 FMI 4 Code has been showing up for over a month now.  I called Indmar and they told me to change the fuel pressure sensor but that did not fix it.  Also said it maybe the fuel pump?? Engine runs fine and doesn\t seem to be starving for fuel at any point.  Really frustrating to get the beep every 5 minutes.  Also, the code always shows as inactive.  Any idea what could be the root cause?

1 minute ago, jloven said:

I am not sure, I do not have a fuel pressure gauge on the boat.  Is there a way to install one in place of the sensor?

You attach one to the fuel rail schrader valve.  You can buy a fuel pressure guage at any auto parts store or amazon.  I prefer the style with a purge valve/line.

Most engines that have fuel pressure sensors allow diagnostic software like Diacom to read the fuel pressure from the ECM, but a mechanical fuel gauge will also tell you if that sensor and the ECM data are correct.

9 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Most engines that have fuel pressure sensors allow diagnostic software like Diacom to read the fuel pressure from the ECM, but a mechanical fuel gauge will also tell you if that sensor and the ECM data are correct.

Yes, but I figured he wanted a $20 solution - not an $800 solution ;)

• 3 years later...
TexasSkiCrew
On 9/8/2020 at 10:07 AM, oldjeep said:

Did you get a chance to solve or figure out what caused the code?

TexasSkiCrew
On 9/7/2020 at 2:43 PM, jloven said:

I have a 2013 Response TXI with the indmar Monsoon engine.  I got the SPN 94 code last year and ended up taking it to a dealer.  They could not find anything and just reset the fault codes.  Worked for a while but the SPN 94 FMI 4 Code has been showing up for over a month now.  I called Indmar and they told me to change the fuel pressure sensor but that did not fix it.  Also said it maybe the fuel pump?? Engine runs fine and doesn\t seem to be starving for fuel at any point.  Really frustrating to get the beep every 5 minutes.  Also, the code always shows as inactive.  Any idea what could be the root cause?

I am having this problem too. Please let me know if you find the answer!

I'm having the same issue!  2013 Response TXi.  I've spent thousands of dollars battling this issue.  Literally over $2K!!   Today, 7/11/2024, I had a volt meter attached to the fuel pressure sensor and a manual gauge hooked to the fuel rail.  4 sets in and the Engine Service tone and code SPN 94  -  4.  The pressure voltage on the meter never went out of specification and the actual fuel pressure stayed steady at 61 psi.  The conclusion at this point--  mine is not a fuel pressure problem or a fuel pressure sensor problem.  

I did notice the problem seems to occur after 3 or 4 sets in a row first sets of the day.  Almost like something is getting hot and failing.   If I clear the code and take another set, it will trigger the code on the first or 2nd pass.  I spent about 2 hours testing and checking different areas and couldn't find anything specific as usual!  I cleared the code and decided to pull my kid and see what happens.  Worked perfect for a set of 10 passes!!  (My kid is young and skis like a maniac).  I can only assume that with it cooling down for a couple hours helped the problem. 

I'm on a full tilt rampage with Malibu to get some information about this problem!  I'm an auto technician of 40yrs. so I understand these engines and sensor and the systems very well--  BUT, though our boats are 2013, the technology of the engine management systems is much older--  something close to 2000 the best I can tell.   

You can direct message me at [email protected] if anyone has additional info.  I'll figure this problem out!!  I will try to keep posting the progress here.  

Disassemble and inspect the terminals and contacts for the fuel pressure sensor circuit, both at the sensor connector and ECM.  Worn, damaged, or corroded contacts in the connectors can cause intermittent electrical problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 2:43 PM, jloven said:

I know this is a very old thread, but there is no resolution noted that others may learn from.

jloven - can you share anything? Or, the others that noted they had the same issue.

I had several occurences of SPN 94 FMI 1 earlier this summer.  After lots of self troubleshooting, my issue ended up being an easy and simple fix.  Near the ECM, there is a fuse box (2016 Response Txi) with some relays inside as well.  The relay for the Fuel Pumps is identical and sits next to the Ignition relay.  It turns out that my Fuel Pump relay had failed.  So, I ordered a pair so I would have a spare.  Well, oddly the new relay would only work after I replaced both relays, not just the pump relay.  Oh, well. Still a cheap repair.

My only issue now is that the inactive SPN 94 FMI 1 code will not clear after about 6 cycles.  Maybe this particular code requires a DIACOM to reset??