Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depreciation Curve

jjackkrash

I am looking for a response LXI. I am(actually was) a three event skier who has been lost for 10 years. But I'm getting back in. Rockon.gifRockon.gif

I want something fairly new and nice with all the options. I'm thinking of the buying an 05 with a monsoon and 180 hours for $30k, approximately. This said, I'm looking for professional advice. What is the best year to buy right now from a depreciation to resale value standpoint? How many hours per year is optimal? I don't want to pay for new, but would pay for an 06 if it made economic sense, or an 03, if that made sense. I want tp keep this boat for 6-10 years. I'll put about 60 hours per year on it.

I know engineers, techies, doctors, lawyers, and accoutants frequest this site, so what is the best to buy from an economic or other rational standpoint?

I am looking for a response LXI. I am(actually was) a three event skier who has been lost for 10 years. But I'm getting back in. Rockon.gifRockon.gif

I want something fairly new and nice with all the options. I'm thinking of the buying an 05 with a monsoon and 180 hours for $30k, approximately. This said, I'm looking for professional advice. What is the best year to buy right now from a depreciation to resale value standpoint? How many hours per year is optimal? I don't want to pay for new, but would pay for an 06 if it made economic sense, or an 03, if that made sense. I want tp keep this boat for 6-10 years. I'll put about 60 hours per year on it.

I know engineers, techies, doctors, lawyers, and accoutants frequest this site, so what is the best to buy from an economic or other rational standpoint?

I guess all the smart people go to bed early :unsure:

Definitely go with the 05 (I'm a little biased). :)

They say most depreciation occurs in the first year. In my experience, Malibu's don't depreciate much and is more based on demand than age. There is a good demand for used Malibus that are in good shape. As much as it pains me to admit it, there is a bigger market for V-Drives than Direct Drives. However, the Response Lxi is a very popular model. The big questions you have to ask yourself are what are you willing to spend and what features do you want. The 05's were the last year before throttle by wire and the built in cruise control were offered. An 05 may have perfect pass verses the cruise control if that makes a difference to you, although perfect pass can be added to an 06 but it is added expense. There are some differences in the 03 - 05 models, such as engine hp of the monsoon. The 340 hp Monsoon is a great engine for this boat.

You probably can't really go wrong with any model year. There are some that don't like certain aspects of the 07 Rlxi that may bring more demand for used 03 - 06 models.

Good Luck!

I think RLxi's usually go for between 33-35k after one year, then maybe down to 30-32k the year after that. I think you would be buying that boat pretty well. Since your going to keep the boat for awhile I'd be worried about those 05 carpets, they really don't hold up well and have had a bunch of warrenty issues.

Chris

They say most depreciation occurs in the first year.

if i were you i would look for someone that had enough money to buy a new BU last year and then realized they dont like the lake so they want to sell it now. they usually have enough money already so they will sell for cheap. that happens a lot were i live

Edited by relentless

It takes more time and effort but look hard for a 2 to 4 year old model in superior condition, that's where the value is. If you can get over the ego part of not having a "New" boat". Also chances are good that the person that kept the boat in excellent condition probably added some good options like speakers, bimini, sacs etc...

It takes more time and effort but look hard for a 2 to 4 year old model in superior condition, that's where the value is. If you can get over the ego part of not having a "New" boat". Also chances are good that the person that kept the boat in excellent condition probably added some good options like speakers, bimini, sacs etc...

Plus1.gif

yep,

basically The Boats are climbing in price so rapidly right now, the price of the used boats is going up with them.

Resale on boats is rock solid right now, and to reiterate what others said. Condition is key. If the boat is in great condition, it is worth the premium.

I have a few customers in my area that have sold their rlxi's for what they paid minus maybe $1k.

If you are looking for the best value, buy a 2-3 year old boat that has been well maintained and has never even been close to brackish (or salt!) water. I have seen quite a few Bu's posted on this site for sale, and I would drive a long way to trailer a good boat back!!!

what is the best to buy from an economic or other rational standpoint?

Try to come up with one of these and you'll never buy a boat. Don't dare start analyzing the cost per hour of usage based on purchase price, fuel, insurance, maintenance, and depreciation. It's kind of like trying to justify hunting based on how much I'm saving at the grocery store. Do it because of the fun friends and family memories...then they start looking really worthwhile, almost cheap, maybe even rational.

That said, my experience has been great with buying a three year old boat, maintaining in pristine condition, upgrading here and there...resale has barely budged from 2003 purchase price.

My name is Hank, and I'm not an engineer, lawyer, accountant, techie, or doctor...just a dumb Mississsippi banker.

Hank, for "just" a banker, you give good advice. Wish you had a Toronto branch!

My next comment is all in fun.... honest.

Wait a few months..... there may be a lot of 2007 RLXi's going up for sale pretty cheap when Malibu decides to go back to the old hull/windshield design and make the 2008 just a dusted off version of the 2006!

Here come the smiley's so you know I'm just having fun. :):):):):)

My name is Doug. A turtle-pool chicken-little washed up engineering manufacturing consultant marketing and sales rep turned teacher now retired.

My name is Doug. A turtle-pool chicken-little washed up engineering manufacturing consultant marketing and sales rep turned teacher now retired.

Huh? Already retired from teaching, Doug? I thought it was what you had always wanted to do. What's up?

Beer.gifCheers.gifCheers.gifCheers.gif

As with any recreational vehicle/boat/atv they have a huge depreciation. Buyit and don't look back. Welcome back and DD's rule!!!

Thanks, and I think that's execellent advice. And dds do rule. I wouldn't buy anything else. I thought my 91 Brendella was God's gift to mankind. And it didn't have half the goodies I'm reading about on this site that the RLXI has.

Huh? Already retired from teaching, Doug? I thought it was what you had always wanted to do. What's up?

Oops.... got carried away with the ordering of my various initiatives. Should have read: "My name is Doug........ blah blah blah.... formerly retired, followed by a year of being a full time student, I'm now back "working" full time and loving every minute of it, teaching math and/or physics to high school students."

And like you.....will be learning more new stuff when the new course gets installed in June/July. (It's not just a coincidence that my new profession leaves me all summer to play.)